About this event
Please join us for our Spring 2021 Drivers Education (DE) at VIR in Alton, VA from 30 April to 2 May 2021. This will be a full format event on Saturday and Sunday with 2 instructed groups and 3 solo groups. Friday April 30th will be a Solo Day.
Approved solo drivers and Instructors may drive on Friday (Solo Only Day). Instructors, Red, and Black solo drivers with or without VIR experience are approved. Recently promoted White solo drivers without any previous VIR experience may need a recommendation from your Chief Track Instructor to be approved. Blue and Green Students are not eligible for the Friday solo day on April 30th.
An instructor will be assigned to Green and Blue Group drivers. There will be daily classroom sessions for the Green, Blue, and White run groups. Green and Blue students will only be driving on Saturday and Sunday.
If you are signing up as White Intermediate Solo, or Black Advanced driver, you will be asked for references if you have not run with FSR before.
Instructors new to FSR must contact the FSR DE Registrar and/or CTI prior to registering. Please have your most recent club Chief Instructor send a message of recommendation stating you are an instructor in good standing. We prefer those with "instructor training/credentials" from nationally recognized clubs and performance driving programs but ask us if your experience translates into instructing for us.
- Drivers: $595
- Instructors with one student: $295
- Instructors with two students: Complimentary (very limited slots may be open depending on current guidelines for social distancing).
This is a non-spectator event meaning everyone showing up at the track must be registered and wearing the appropriately supplied wrist bands for the event.
Volunteers and Crew members: Due to the ongoing COVID pandemic, only essential CREW or VOLUNTEERS are permitted, meaning only persons necessary to help you prep your car or help you prep for run sessions, or those who wish to volunteer at the event. Crew and volunteers must be registered for the event in MSR, before registration closes, in the same way as a driver, with their name, contact info, etc.
We always need volunteers to help us run the event and have positions open such as Tech Inspection, Grid, and registration. Please register for these positions.
Lunch Time Parade/Charity Laps. Crew members and volunteers (wearing masks, windows down) in any car that is in suitable condition so as not to leak or drop parts on our track and with seatbelts for every occupant, and after paying a small fee that goes straight to our FSR charities, enjoy a "lower" speed tour of the track for approximately 20 minutes. For drivers new to the track this is also a great way to pick up reference points at the lower (highway) speeds. Please listen for the announcements as time is tight during that period and we need to get everyone on the grid, donations paid, and green flag waving in a very short time.
VIR Policies. Our hosts at VIR appreciate that FSR participants, crew, and event staff are typically considered courteous and knowledgeable of their specific rules before showing up at their facility. Please read these policies at VIR Policies. Remember--camping in your race car trailer is still considered "camping" and the VIR camping fee must be paid in advance at the gate.
Schedules. Schedules will be released soon but assume Saturday and Sunday will be our normal four sessions per day with a single session on Saturday for our Intro to DE drivers. Friday will have extra sessions for our three driving solo groups (White, Black, Red)
You can also download the TrackKeeper iOS App. It is a convenient “At the Track” schedule manager and time tracking tool with a host of handy features. The TrackKeeper App is suitable to manage time and tasks more effectively and efficiently while you enjoy your track day. A must-have for any track day enthusiast, TrackKeeper keeps all data in sync across iOS mobile devices.
For more information, visit: http://app.mytrackkeeper.com
(If you don't have an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iTouch), you can access the myTrackKeeper Web App by pointing your mobile browser to: http://www.mytrackkeeper.com)
*** IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THE ONGOING GLOBAL PANDEMIC AND HOW IT MAY AFFECT THIS EVENT ***
Required documentationn and Waivers:
- Quick Video Tutorial on SpeedWaivers
- Pre-Event Meeting Video held on 4/26/2021.
- Event Schedule
- DE Tech Inspection Form
The PCA Event Waiver and the Communicable Disease Waiver must be signed in advance through an MSR system called SpeedWaiver. (If you are unable to complete your waiver using SpeedWaivers with your mobile device, you can print these forms IN COLOR, sign them and bring them to the event registration).
- SpeedWaiver Link
- VIR Waiver Forms (These have to be presented at VIR's gate upon arrival)
- PCA Waiver
- PCA Communicable Disease Waiver
Tech Inspections: Every car on track must have a pre-event Tech Inspection performed by a professional mechanic sufficiently knowledgeable of your make and model of car to perform and sign the mandatory tech inspection form within no more than 30 days prior to this event. DE Tech Inspection Form
COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS, MANDATORY pre-event virtual meeting details, run groups/car numbers, track rules, etc. – as the event date approaches, but please feel free to contact us or any member of the DE Committee in the meantime if you have questions or concerns.
- This event is open all drivers 18 and over with a valid state or province-issued driver's license. There is no restriction on car make/model except it must pass inspection and have full fenders for each wheel (no trucks, please but Cayennes and Macans are allowed for students) . Non-PCA members are always welcome. Cars must pass technical inspections (see links below) to show they are safe for track use. Drivers must wear an approved helmet and proper clothing (see info/links below). All the following information, in more detail, is available via links in the DE section of the FSR website (link below) and will also be in the information package that will be posted at the same link shortly before registration opens. Wristbands will be issued at registration.
- This event will run rain or shine. Please prepare yourself and your car for the weather.
- This is NOT a racing event or racing school. Our events focus on learning proper high performance driving techniques that will translate well into both street and track use. Our goal is to provide a safe environment where all participants have fun and return home with their vehicle in the same condition as when they arrived, but having learned something new and made a few new friends. We pride ourselves on our low-key, low stress, but safe events that will make you want to join us again.
- All helmets must be Snell SA2020 or SA 2015 specification. We do not accept M rated helmets of any year.
- When registering, please select your experience based on the following as a guide. We request that you keep your MotorsportReg.com experience profile up to date, particularly which run group you ran with in your most recent events, to assist us in making accurate run group assignments.
- Green: Novice and Beginner ( typically 0-5 events)
- Blue: Novice/Intermediate (typically 5-10 events)
- White: Upper intermediate and advanced (typically 10-40 events with solo experience)
- Black: Upper advanced (typically 40+ events and expanded passing experience)
- Red: HPDE Instructors Only
- Your preferred car number will be requested in the car info section of the registration form. If there are repeat numbers within a run group, we'll give priority to regular FSR instructors and drivers and then based on registration date and assign alternate numbers as appropriate. Number assignments can be a particularly painful evolution, so please ensure your selection and alternate choices are correct. Popular numbers are those that are easy to create using tape, so 1, 7, 0 and any combination of these are popular and will guarantee conflicts, so pick something more unusual if you want to get it every time.
- All cars must have numbers at least 8 inches high on each side of the car in a bright, easy to read contrasting color. Shoe polish on windows, although a less preferred method, is permitted, but the color must be bright and visible by the corner workers. Blue painters tape is acceptable, but must be visible (light green painters tape is also available for darker cars). Full event participants must provide their own numbers. Numbers will only be available for "Intro to HPDE" students if needed.
- All participants (instructors included) must have a tech inspection completed prior to the event and bring their completed tech form with them to the track. The form will be turned in at track tech. The tech form and specifics about how tech is conducted at the track for each run group is in the event info pack, available with all other docs and forms at the FSR website link: FSR Documents
- Convertibles must have a "fixed" roll bar or hoop extenders and pass the "broomstick" test. For late model Porsche 911s (i.e. 996/997/991/992), a factory removable hardtop is not considered sufficient by our VIR hosts unless there is a fixed roll bar installed. 986 Boxsters require a Brey-Krause or similar bar for connecting/extending the hoops.
- All participants, staff, volunteers and crew must sign the event PCA specific insurance waiver. Everyone will also be required to sign VIR’s track specific waiver at the main entrance when they arrive. (yes - that means two separate waivers) A specific COVID-19 speed waiver is also required for registration.
- Camping and paddock power can be arranged through VIR. Please contact them directly for info. The Event Information Packet will have lodging information. VIR considers camping in your car trailer in the paddock as still camping so you must pay them the camping fee.
Please bring your own copies of the required forms listed in the event info pack located on the PCA FSR website . The sample event schedule is available here:
- Spring FSR DE VIR Schedule (TBD). Friday Solo drivers only, Saturday and Sunday all drivers.
- Email updates will be provided to all registered participants when final run group and car numbers are assigned or new documents are posted online, i.e. the event schedule and instructor assignments. If you have an issue with your group assignment, please contact the Registrar immediately after receiving your assignment.
- The Event Information Pack, a pdf document which includes event specifics and all required forms, will be found in the Documents section of the PCA FSR website, a track map and DE Student Tips within two weeks of the event if not earlier. Other event documents, such as the final schedule and instructor/student assignments, will also be posted there as they are published. Once you register for the event, you will receive "heads up" emails as these new documents are posted.
Instructors: If you've instructed with FSR since 2008, you should have the “Instructor Entry” option available to register on the online registration form. If this option is not available and you have instructed with us in the past, please email the DE Registrar BEFORE YOU REGISTER so that we can add you to our instructor list. If you have never instructed with FSR, please provide your credentials/references via email to the DE Registrar or Chief Track Instructor BEFORE YOU REGISTER. We will then add you to our list and the instructor option will become available to you online. In either case, you must have FSR on your list of clubs in your Motorsportreg.com profile for the registrar to add you as an instructor.
NOTE: When registering please ensure you have a unique email address in your motosrportreg.com account profile. If you or a friend, family member, or someone else in the event use shared/duplicate email addresses in your profiles the system will create errors in its data base. Every registrant must have a unique non-duplicated email address assigned.
Payment for this event is deferred meaning we will charge you approximately two-three weeks prior to the event.
Cancelation/Refund Policy: Credit Cards are required at the time of registration.
No refunds will be issued within 3 weeks of the event start date. Credits for future events will NOT be issued.
Cancellation requests must be made in writing or through the motorsportreg.com cancelation button on the MY EVENTS page. No-shows will NOT receive a credit. If there are extenuating circumstances, please contact the DE Registrar.
If you have any questions or are not sure how to proceed, please email the DE Registrar and we'll steer you in the right direction. Thanks for your cooperation.