THSCC Autocross Novice School & Points Event #1Rockingham Speedway
About this event
Please join Tar Heel Sports Car Club as we host a Novice School at the “Little Rock” in Rockingham, NC. The school will kick off a great weekend that includes THSCC Points Event #1.
- Saturday March 25th - Novice School
- Sunday March 26th - Points Event #1
Priority for the Novice School will be given to DRIVERS WITH FEWER THAN TEN (10) EVENTS OF AUTOCROSS EXPERIENCE, AND THOSE WHO HAVE NEVER PARTICIPATED IN A THSCC NOVICE SCHOOL BEFORE. If you are an experienced autocrosser who’s just looking for seat time, please DON’T sign up!
Enrollment for Novice School is capped at 30 students.
If we don’t meet our cap with true novices, we will open registration up to more experienced drivers 2 weeks prior to the school. Our schools tend to fill up early, so please register soon. If you end up not being able to attend, please cancel your registration so we can let someone else have your spot.
Note: If you are placed on the waitlist it is ONLY for the Novice School. Points Event #1 is not limited by attendance. In other words, you can absolutely drive on Sunday, Day 2.
This year, THSCC is holding 10 Novice School spots for 79-04 Mustangs drivers. George from Warhorse Racing is bringing in instructors who have years of experience autocrossing Fox Body and SN95 Mustangs. Those 10 spots will only be held until March 12th, so please sign your ponies up early!
We’ll have many great instructors at the school to help you, some of whom are nationally competitive autocrossers. Your instructors will evaluate your skill level and teach you the basics of autocrossing. We average 15 runs at our schools; that equates to about 3 events worth of experience. Our goal is to maximize seat time to maximize learning.
Lunch will be provided at the Novice School. There will also be time for students to ride along as instructors drive the course.
If your car is in good general condition, it will hold up just fine at an autocross. There are plenty of cars that have been autocrossing for a decade or more. Damage from hitting cones is very rare. But, you will notice greater than average tire wear. You can find out a lot more about autocrossing by reading the Novice Guide on our website Novice Guide.
Novice School participants will receive a notice from us prior to the school. If you have any questions about the school, please contact the THSCC Novice Coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Points Event #1
Now that you've been to school it's time to test your newly acquired skills against experienced autocrossers at THSCC Points Event #1 on Sunday, March 26th.
We want to see all of our members, new and old, at this event! “Little Rock" has quickly become one of our favorite sites. A small oval track with banking and a cross-over allows for many creative course configurations. There’s a lot of grip and a lot of pavement to play with!
We will also have a food truck there for lunch.
Notice to Participants: In light of the current COVID-19 situation, every attempt will be made to minimize the risks of exposure to the virus. New processes and procedures are being developed and will be put into place for events going forward.
Ultimately, it is your responsibility to assess the risk to you, both on-track and off, and to make the decision on whether or not to participate. If you are feeling unwell or are experiencing symptoms such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath please stay home. If you have been in contact with someone who has been experiencing these symptoms in the last two weeks, please stay home.
While on site please take the health and safety of your fellow participants, volunteers and staff into consideration and practice physical distancing, wear a mask, and wash your hands and/or use hand sanitizer frequently.
THSCC EVENT REQUIREMENTS:
- These rules will be enforced and we will be re-stating them frequently during the event. If you feel you cannot comply, please do not sign up for the event.
- Please wash/sanitize your hands frequently during the event
- There will be standard AX Tech at this event so please leave your hood open and helmet ready for inspection
- We will provide water
- Pre-registration is required. There will be a $10 late fee for any late registrations
- There are a limited supply of loaner helmets which will be single use. If you have a helmet please bring it.
- We will be running with classes and numbers
We take the health and safety of both our staff and our attendees very seriously! Please, if you are unable or unwilling to follow these event guidelines, we ask that you do not sign up to participate.
Our web site, THSCC.COM will be very helpful at getting you ready for this event. Select the “autocross” tab to find everything that you need to know for an autocross event: what to do, which class you should sign up for, and directions to the site. You will find classes and numbers that you can print by selecting “forms”. Novices only need to print the “NOV” class, not the actual car's class. Remember to bring tape to post your class and number on the side of your car. A mandatory instructional couse walk for all Novices is requrired; see the event schedule below. Please have your car ready and be there on time. The Novice guide and checklist will help you prepare for a fun day of autocross.
Check out some videos of the previous events to get an idea what this event will be all about:
If you have never autocrossed before, please check out the video below.
Novice School (Saturday only): $50 (Novices who preregister for both days get a discount on Sunday's entry fee)
Novice School and Points Event (Both Days): $75
Points Event 1 (Sunday only): $35
Early Registration closes at 11:59pm on March 22nd
Late Registration: $10 extra starting on March 23rd
Late registration is until 9:30am on the day of the event. Late registrants must check in with the Registrar when they get on site.
Pre-registration is mandatory for our Novice School; late registration is NOT available
We encourage you to prepay online through the secure MotorsportReg website. Payment is deferred and accounts will not be charged until registration closes, so if you register and find out that you can't make it please cancel your registration prior to registration closing and you will not get charged. If you register at the event, you will be charged the late registration fee.
Novice School - Event Schedule
|Gates Open||7:15 AM|
|STUDENT ARRIVAL TIME||Please arrive between 7:30 and 7:45 AM|
|INSTRUCTOR ARRIVAL TIME||8:00 AM|
|Unguided Course Walks||8:00 - 8:15 AM|
|Tech Inspection||8:00 - 9:00 AM|
|Drivers Meeting||8:20 - 8:30 AM|
|CONE RULES SEMINAR and (Q&A)||8:35 - 8:45 AM|
|GUIDED NOVICE COURSE WALK||8:50 - 9:15 AM|
|Morning Session||9:25 AM|
|Lunch||1:25 - 1:55 PM|
|Afternoon Session||2:00 PM|
|Wrap Up||5:00 PM|
Points Event #1 - Event Schedule
|Gates Open||7:30 AM|
|Registration Check-In||8:00 - 8:45 AM|
|Tech Inspection||8:00 - 9:00 AM|
|Novice Walk||8:45 AM|
|Drivers' Meeting||9:30 AM|
|First Car Off||10:00 AM|
If you have any questions please contact us at email@example.com .
Your car should be tech'd BEFORE the drivers meeting. To pass tech, you must:
- Clean out any loose items in the car, this includes cell phones cables, garage door openers, loose change and such.
- The battery has to be properly secured.
- If your floor mats are not physically attached to carpet, they will have to be removed. We don’t want the floor mat to bunch up under the brake or gas.
- Hubcaps and center caps on wheels should be removed. If your hubcaps mount to the wheel and are held in place by the lug nuts, then they can stay on, otherwise they should be removed.
- Have a SNELL approved helmet, 2010 or newer (M-rated or SA-rated). We do not accept DOT-only approved helmets any longer.
It is your responsibility to:
- Check basic fluids such as oil, coolant, and brake.
- Make sure you torque the lug nuts to manufacturer's recommended tightness.
- Make sure you have no active leaks on the motor, transmission or diff. Oil on the track is a bad thing.
- Check tire pressure. If you don’t know what to set it to, ask ASAP.
- You WILL experience greater than normal tire wear. Your tires MUST be serviceable, meaning they have appropriate tread, no chords showing, etc.
In addition, TO ANYONE ATTENDING THEIR FIRST AUTOCROSS:
- In regards to displaying your class and numbers, please keep in mind that you should use tape or printed letters and numbers that contrast to your car's color, i.e. no blue tape on blue cars.