About this event
Waterford Hills Presents the 2023 TRACK RAT Open Track Day
Our core group of Track Rats come from all over the country to enjoy this special day before the Woodward Dream Cruise. This event is dedicated to the memory of Scot Chapman. This OTD was founded by Scot years ago while working for Roush. He was an avid driver and did everything he could to keep this day going even after Roush pulled their sponsorship. His efforts and encoragment exposed many drivers to the wonders of Open Track Day driving. He was responsible for getting key volunteers involved with the track - if not for him we would probably still be waiting on the repaving of the track!
Come spend the day with one of the best groups of drivers around! All makes and models welcomed and appreciated! We know how to have fun with our cars!
NOTICE: Effective 7/21/2021 Participation of Electric vehicles has been suspended until WHRRI obtains specialized equipment to deal with Electric Vehicle emergencies.
This is your chance to drive YOUR vehicle on a REAL Road Course!
Our annual "Woodward" track day occurs the day before the famous Dream Cruise. This event welcomes drivers and vehicles from all over the United States. Waterford Hills is only a few miles from the northern end of Woodward Avenue located in Clarkston, Mi.
Drivers are separated into run groups based on experience. You'll have multiple sessions with plenty of track and cool down time. Our regular drivers love to share their knowledge to help you improve your skills. That, along with the experienced Waterford Hills staff monitoring drivers and conditions make this a Great track day for first timers as well as the hard core High Performance Driving Enthusiasts.
First time? Contact OTD@Waterfordhills.com and ask for the Open Track Day Driver's manual. It's got all the procedures along with tips and tricks for a fun track day!
Faux Trans Am Race - Have a vintage car you'd like to bring out but don't want to race it? We have a Faux Trans Am race where we line up some vintage track cars with show vehicles from the same era and run a few low speed pace laps. It's a lot of fun and we usually swap out the lead car so you can get a great photo op. Best of all - if you're not running the hot laps, it only costs gate admission to get in and tour the track. No registration required for pace laps!
- Early Registration $180.00
- On or After 1/1/2024 $200.00
- On or After 7/24/2024 $220.00
*Space is limited to 36 drivers - your spot is not reserved until payment is received*
Registration on site will be available for the remaining spots. All spots are first come - first served.
- This event runs RAIN or SHINE.
This event is approved for track day insurance. Additional vehicle coverage may be purchased through Hagerty
- Events start at 7:00am for registration and tech inspections.
- 9:30am driver's meeting and novice instruction
- Vehicles on course at 10:30am
- Lunch ~12:30
- Track secured at 5:00pm.
How do we make up the run groups?
- We usually have 4 run groups made up of 9 drivers
- Each group is scheduled to get 4 sessions during the day
- Each session will be ~15 to 20 minutes
- Drivers are split up into groups based on experience.
What kind of equipment do I need?
- A vehicle that can pass a basic safety inspection (Contact me about restrictions on convertibles, open wheel, Truck, SUV and Hybrids)
- Recommend using vehicles with manual transmissions
- A SNELL rated helmet that’s 2010 or newer (We have rental helmets available at the track if you don't have one)
- No special tires are required!
I'm new to this!
- Everyone was new at one point!
- We have basic instruction in the morning
- Track day people are Awesome! Pretty much anyone at the track will be happy to help, or come find me and I'll introduce you to an experienced driver
- I've been collecting lots of information and posting it in our forums… check it out here: OTD Primer
- Send me an email and I'll get any other questions answered ASAP! (OTD@WaterfordHills.com)
How do I rank myself for registration?
- I double check your experience levels during the registration process.
- If you have a question, note it in the "Notes to Organizer" on the entry form. I do read them!
- Unsure of your skill level - start out as a Novice (HPDE-1) and email me to tell me what your experience is - we'll get you in the right group!
- Use the table below to help you figure it out:
LICENSED RACE DRIVER.