About this event
Please join us for our Spring 2012 Drivers Education (DE) at VIR in Alton, VA. We will be running the Full Course all three days. This event is open to any driver 18 and over with a valid US-issued driver's license and with any make/model of car. Please bring your driver's license with you to registration.
An instructor will be assigned to Green and Blue Group drivers and there will be daily classroom sessions for these groups. If you are signing up as an Intermediate Solo or Advanced driver, you will be asked for references if you have not run with FSR before.
Registration Fees: Drivers: $399, Instructors: $125.00
Are you new to DE and on the fence about whether Driver’s Education is for you? Sign up for our DE INTRO! For a $50 fee, we’ll get you out on the track in your car with an instructor for a single session mid-day on Saturday. Standard DE safety requirements apply, so you’ll need a Snell SA rated helmet. FSR has a few loaners available, so please email the registrar before you sign up if you'd like to borrow one.
- This event is open all drivers 18 and over with a valid US-issued driver's license. There is no restriction on car make/model (no trucks, please). Cars must pass technical inspections (see links below) to show they are safe for track use. Drivers must wear an approved helmet and proper clothing (see info/links below). All the following information, in more detail, is available via links in the DE section of the FSR website (link below) and will also be in the information package that will be posted at the same link shortly before registration opens. Wristbands will be issued at registration.
- This event will run rain or shine.
- This is NOT a racing event or racing school. Our events focus on learning proper high performance driving techniques that will translate well into both street and track use. Our goal is to provide a safe environment where all participants have fun and return home with their vehicle in the same condition as when they arrived, but having learned something new and made a few new friends. We pride ourselves on our low-key, low stress events that will make you want to join us again.
- All helmets must be Snell SA2005 or later specification. We do not accept M rated helmets of any year.
When registering, please select your experience based on the following as a guide. We request that you keep your MotorsportReg experience profile up to date, particularly which run group you ran with in your most recent events, to assist us in making accurate run group assignments.
- Green: Novice and Beginner (0-3 events)
- Blue: Novice/Intermediate (3-10 events)
- White: Upper intermediate and advanced (10-40 events with solo exp)
- Black: Upper advanced/instructor overflow (40+ events)
- Your preferred car number will be requested in the car info section of the registration form. If there are repeat numbers within a run group, we'll give priority based on registration date and assign alternate numbers as appropriate. Number assignments can be a particularly painful evolution, so please ensure your selection and alternate choices are correct. Popular numbers are those that are easy to create using tape, so 1, 7, 0 and any combination of these are popular and will guarantee conflicts, so pick something more unusual if you want to get it every time.
- All cars must have numbers at least 8 inches high on each side of the car in a bright, easy to read contrasting color. Shoe polish on windows, although a less preferred method, is permitted, but the color must be bright and visible. Blue painters tape is acceptable, but must be visible (light green painters tape is also available for darker cars). Participants must provide their own numbers.
- All participants (instructors included) must have a tech inspection completed prior to the event and bring their completed tech form with them to the track. The inspection must be performed by a qualified mechanic (i.e. a professional) or club tech inspector and the form filled out, signed and stamped by the mechanic/inspector (if they have a stamp). The form will be turned in at track tech. The tech form and specifics about how tech is conducted at the track for each run group is in the event info pack, available with all other docs and forms at the FSR website link below.
- must have a roll bar or hoop extenders and pass the "broomstick" test. For late model Porsche 911s (i.e. 996/997), a factory hardtop obviates the need for a traditional roll bar.
- All participants, staff, and guests must sign the event insurance waiver at track registration. Everyone will also be required to sign VIR’s waiver at the main entrance when they arrive.
- Camping can be arranged through VIR. Please contact them directly for info.
- Please bring your own copies of the required forms - which are listed in the event info pack.
- Email updates will be provided to all registered participants when final run group and car numbers are assigned or new documents are posted online, i.e. the event schedule and instructor assignments. If you have an issue with your group assignment, please contact the Registrar immediately after receiving your assignment.
- The Event Information Pack, a pdf document which includes event specifics and all required forms, can be found in the Documents section of the FSR website, a track map and DE Student Tips. Other event documents, such as the schedule and instructor/student assignments, will also be posted there as they are published. Once you register for the event, you will receive "heads up" emails as these new documents are posted.
Instructors: If you've instructed with FSR since 2008, you should have the “Instructor Entry” option available to register on the online registration form. If this option is not available and you have instructed with us in the past, please email the DE Registrar BEFORE YOU REGISTER so that we can add you to our instructor list. Once you hit the "pay" button, we can only offer you future credit (full amount) or you'll have to wait for a refund check for the difference between the entry fees (minus 5% processing fee). If you have never instructed with FSR, please provide your credentials/references via email to the DE Registrar or Chief Track Instructor BEFORE YOU REGISTER. We will then add you to our list and the instructor option will become available to you online. In either case, you must have FSR on your list of clubs in your Motorsportreg.com profile for the registrar to add you as an instructor. If you have any questions or are not sure how to proceed, please email the DE Registrar and we'll steer you in the right direction. Thanks for your cooperation.
Cancellation/Refund Policy: Credit Cards are not charged until 3-4 weeks before registration closing date. Any cancellations up to that point will not incur a charge.