About this event
Join the BMWCCA - Golden Gate Chapter at Merced-Castle Airport for Autocross #1
TRC California at Merced-Castle Airport in Atwater, CA
Google Maps Link: https://goo.gl/maps/UpGefSUHXAD7qW97A
GGC autocrosses offer a friendly competitive environment where a cone track is setup in a large parking lot or airfield. Cars are assigned classes based on a points system (considering weight, torque, modifications, and several other factors), and drivers compete against other drivers with cars of similar performance within their class. Cars race against the clock, not side-by-side.
Our format for the 2022 season will consist of five independent competition events where we award class winners for each, rather than a series with a year-end shootout as in the past. To do this, we require everyone to classify your car in the GGC Classification System. This is where you'll get your unique driver number and determine the points and class your car will compete in for the season. We do not use PAX like other programs. We are a BMW/MINI club and that’s what we know, so only those brands of cars may compete for trophies. We are inclusive so we also have a non-compete (N) and non-BMW/MINI class (X).
We do not require previous high performance driver training or experience, but attending one of our Car Control Clinics or similar training is highly recommended. In the pre-COVID world, we had an exceptional program of instruction for first-timers and inexperienced autocrossers. In-car coaching is no longer the norm, but we are able to provide observational guidance to help you improve your skills. We encourage everyone to come and enjoy the fun!
No special car preparation is needed, in fact, we recommend you bring the car you drive on a daily basis. Doing so will give you a greater appreciation for your car's capabilities and improve your driving skills in the process.
Our events are very social and we welcome all makes of cars, not just BMW and MINI and we don't limit registrations from other marques. Everyone has the same chance of getting in!
Event cost is $85 per participant for members, $143 for non-members (includes 1 year of BMWCCA membership - $58). Click the button below to get signed up!
Questions? Please write us.
HOW TO SIGN UP
Step 1 - Select Driver Number and Classify Your Car
To classify, visit the GGC Classification System to create an account, select a driver number and enter your car details and modifications. If you already have an account, please be sure your classification is accurate before registering for this event. The GGC system is the keeper of the unique driver numbers and car data and every driver must have their own account, driver number, and car classification to participate. PLEASE NOTE: To complete your classification and save your choices, be sure you answer the engine modifications question. Most of you will just click the [I have no engine modifications] button. After doing this you will see the [Save this classification to my user profile] button to complete the process.
WARNING: If you fail to complete this step before you register, and/or we cannot match the information you provide to an active classification at bmwautocross.com, your registration will be placed on hold until you do. It's easy and quick and you will only have to do this once unless you make changes to your car. It is very important that you take care of this step before you register for this event.
Go-karts: Competitors driving karts of any kind are required to wear full-face helmets; a collar-type neck brace designed for motorsports use; and gloves, jackets, and full-length pants made of leather, vinyl, abrasion-resistant (ballistic) nylon or equivalent.
Step 2 - Understand Requirements
Read ALL of the content in this event listing to make sure you understand the event requirements, including: COVID-19 information, event location, waivers, membership requirements, payments, cancellation policy, tech inspection checklist, timeline, helmet requirements, waitlist, and guest policy.
Step 3 - Be a Member
BMWCCA membership is required to participate. If you're not an active member of BMWCCA, you will need to join or renew your membership before signing up. We prefer you do this yourself at bmwcca.org, but if you like, you may register as a non-member and we'll take your money and pass it along to BMWCCA National to renew or activate your membership on your behalf. If you register and your membership is not current, your registration will be placed on hold until you provide proof that your membership is active. If we cannot verify your membership by the time registration closes, your registration may be cancelled.
Step 4 - Register
Complete the registration form and sign the electronic waiver.
- The Golden Gate Chapter is using a COVID mitigation strategy that minimizes the impact on how we conduct this event. All attendees, staff, and guests must be fully vaccinated (including waiting time) before arriving at the event. ID AND PROOF OF VACCINATION WILL BE REQUIRED TO ENTER
- We no longer offer loaner helmets. You must bring your own Snell 2015 or newer helmet to drive or ride
- Review and understand State guidelines at “Safely reopening California"
- NO ON-SITE OR LATE SIGN-UPS WILL BE ACCEPTED
- No photography or smoking permitted at the site. In-car video is OK.
- This event is private and for registered participants and accompanied guests only. No one will be permitted entry to the site after 08:15am
- You must have your own Snell 2015 (or newer) certified helmet (M, SA or EA) to drive or ride at GGC autocross events. Loaners are not available. Snell 2010 helmets will not be accepted
- All cars are welcome including stock convertibles. Special roll cages are not required
- With the exception of the BMW X1, SUV/SAV vehicles are not permitted. If you would like to participate and do not own a car, you may share a car with a friend. Not sure? Write us and ask about your vehicle
- Please check your individual insurance policy for coverage details with regards to participating at this event
- DRONES or anything resembling a drone ARE NOT permitted at any GGC Autocross event. Do not bring one, do not ask to fly one
- Staff will be on site at 7am to start course setup. Tech inspections will start around 7:30am. A mandatory attendee (all on site) meeting will start PROMPTLY at 8:30am. PLEASE ARRIVE EARLY
- We're not offering a lunch option for this event. There are food trucks on site at Merced-Castle airport that are close by to where we are holding the event.
EVENT TIMELINE (approximate)
0700: Staff and equipment arrive on site
0715: Donuts and coffee are consumed, course setup begins, tech inspections begin
0730: Trailer check-in opens
0815: GATE and Check-in close
0830: Mandatory Meeting - ALL ON SITE MUST ATTEND
0900: Course walk
0930: Run Group 1
1215: Run Group 2
1415: Run Group 3
1615: Fun Runs (time permitting)
1700: Site Cleanup and pack equipment trailer (volunteers needed!)
1800: Site closes
Licensed drivers 16 years old or older are welcome to participate in our driving events. If you are under 18 years of age, or you bring someone who is, you must have prepared the below waiver IN ADVANCE and bring it with you to the event. If you plan on attending more events this season, there are instructions for filling out the form to cover all Autocross events for the year with one waiver.
This waiver is required for entry to the event, so be certain to follow the instructions carefully. Parent/Guardian signature is required.
You must be an active BMWCCA member to participate in our driving events and Motorsportreg.com will verify your member number automatically. Please make sure your MSR account has the correct number entered.
Please follow this link to join if you are not a BMWCCA member or you need to renew:
Alternatively, you may select the non-member option when registering for this event. If you do not receive your membership number prior to the event you are signed up for, please e-mail an image of your sign-up receipt to email@example.com. If we cannot verify your membership as active by the time registration closes, your registration will be cancelled.
If the event is sold out, you'll automatically be placed on the wait list. We will move folks from the wait list as spots open up, and in the order you registered. Your credit card will be charged to secure your spot on the wait list. If we do not get enough cancellations to let you in to the event, we will refund your entry fee (and any food purchase) only. Membership purchases are not refundable, even if you don’t get in.
DRIVER NUMBERS AND CAR CLASSIFICATIONS
Every DRIVER participating in this event must be classified in our online system! Your classification system username will be required to complete your registration. If you fail to complete this step before you register, you will be placed on hold and if we cannot verify your classification before registration closes, your registration may be cancelled. We want everyone to come have a good time, so please take care of this simple task before completing the registration form.
If you have any issues accessing the classification system, or bmwautocross.com, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PAYMENTS & CANCELLATIONS
Your credit card will be charged at time of registration. Temporary (one time use) credit card numbers are declined by our payment system, so please use a regular credit or debit card for payment.
A $35 cancellation fee will be charged if you cancel prior to close of registration. You will receive a credit on your MSR account for the difference you paid shortly after the event date, or sooner. If you cancel after the close of registration, or you do not show up, or you are denied entrance for any reason, no refund or credit will be given.
BMWCCA memberships purchased through this registration process will be forwarded to National on your behalf before the close of registration. If you cancel your registration, no refund or credit will be given for your membership purchase because it has already been activated.
NO SHOWS/LATE CANCELLATIONS
We recognize life happens, but for our events to run smoothly and safely, we require all who commit to attend to show up to the event. Please do us the courtesy and cancel or notify us that you will not attend if something unexpected comes up.
TECH INSPECTION CHECKLIST
Verify all of the following conditions are met before arriving at the event. Your vehicle will be required to pass an on-site tech inspection. If it does not pass, you will not be allowed to drive your car.
- BATTERY IS SECURELY MOUNTED WITH FACTORY HOLD DOWNS! Make-shift hold downs are not allowed. This is our #1 reason for failing tech!
- Wheels are safely attached and exhibit no cracks. Wheel nuts/bolts are tightened to the manufacturer’s recommended torque value
- If aftermarket wheel studs are used, each wheel stud must be at least flush with the outer-most surface of the wheel nut when the nut is affixed by fingers and before any wheel nut is torqued to the manufacturer’s recommended value
- All loose items are removed from the vehicle. If a video camera is employed, it is securely mounted
- Tires show no cords, belts, or cracks in the tread or sidewall
- Seat belts and/or harnesses are properly installed and in good condition
- Brakes are in good working order, have no leaks under pressure, and have adequate fluid in the master cylinder
- No fluid leaks (fuel, oil, coolant, power steering fluid, transmission and differential fluids, brake fluid) are present while the vehicle’s engine is running
- Wheel bearings, steering mechanism, suspension, and shocks are in good operating condition
- The exhaust is in good working order
- Closed-toed shoes are mandatory for drivers. No open-toed shoes, sandals, or "flip-flops" are allowed on course
- Roll bars, if installed, are properly and securely mounted
We reserve the right to refuse entry/participation to anyone for any reason. ID AND PROOF OF VACCINATION WILL BE REQUIRED TO ENTER THE EVENT.
Your safe enjoyment of our event is our #1 priority. Racing is serious business and we need everyone in attendance to take it seriously. If you’re not following instructions, not playing by the rules, or not taking your work assignment seriously, we may ask you to leave and you may not be allowed to come back.