About this event
Please join us for our Spring 2023 Drivers Education (DE) at VIR in Alton, VA from 28-30 April 2023.
Friday April 28th will be a solo day for white, black, and red (Instructor) group drivers only. Recently promoted White solo drivers without any previous VIR experience may need a recommendation from your Chief Track Instructor to be approved. Saturday and Sunday will be a full-format event with 2 instructed groups (green and blue) and 3 solo groups.
An instructor will be individually assigned to all Green drivers. Blue group is our first solo group; this group will be supervised by a selected group of instructors. Instructors may be individually assigned to Blue drivers based on instructor availability. If you would like to assure you have an individual instructor, please register in GREEN. There will be daily classroom sessions for the Green, Blue, and White run groups. Novice and supervised solo (green/blue) students will only be driving on Saturday and Sunday.
Are you new to DE and on the fence about whether Driver’s Education is for you? Sign up for our DE INTRO! For a $95 fee, we’ll get you out on the track in your car with an instructor for a single at-speed session mid-day on Saturday. Standard DE safety requirements apply, so you’ll need a Snell SA 2020 or SA 2015 rated helmet (no M-rated helmets) and the car much be tech inspected. FSR has just a few loaners available, so please email the registrar before you sign up if you'd like to borrow one. They will be offered first come, first served.
Instructors new to FSR must contact the FSR DE Registrar and/or CTI prior to registering. Please have your most recent club Chief Instructor send a message of recommendation stating you are an instructor in good standing. We prefer those with "instructor training/credentials" from nationally recognized clubs and performance driving programs but ask us if your experience translates into instructing for us.
- Drivers: $695
- Instructors with one student: $350
- Instructors with two students: $0 , Complimentary (very limited slots may be open)
- Intro to DE: $95
For more information about PCA HPDE events, please see this video filmed during a PCA FSR event. Learning Curves: High Performance Drivers Education
This is a non-spectator event therefore everyone attending must be registered and wearing the appropriate PCA supplied wrist bands for the event. VIR gate entry wristbands are not PCA issued wristbands.
Volunteers and Crew members: Crew and volunteers must be registered for the event in MSR before registration closes, similar to drivers, with their name, contact info, etc.
We always need volunteers to help us run the event and have positions open such as tech inspection, grid, and registration. Please give us a hand and register for a volunteer position.
Lunch Time Parade/Charity Laps. Want to see what all the fuss is about but not ready to register as a driver? Friends, family, volunteers, and crew members may drive Charity Laps in any car that is in suitable condition (won't leak or drop parts on the track) and has seatbelts for every occupant. This is a a great way to enjoy a highway speed tour of the track and lasts approximately 20 minutes. Donations collected go directly to FSR charities.
VIR Policies. Our hosts at VIR appreciate that FSR participants, crew, and event staff are typically considered courteous and knowledgeable of their specific rules before showing up at their facility. Please read these policies at VIR Policies. Remember--camping in your race car trailer is still considered "camping" and the VIR camping fee must be paid in advance at the gate.
You may want to download the TrackKeeper iOS App. It is a convenient “At the Track” schedule manager and time tracking tool with a host of handy features. The TrackKeeper App is suitable to manage time and tasks more effectively and efficiently while you enjoy your track day. A must-have for any track day enthusiast, TrackKeeper keeps all data in sync across iOS mobile devices.
For more information, visit: http://app.mytrackkeeper.com
(If you don't have an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iTouch), you can access the myTrackKeeper Web App at: http://www.mytrackkeeper.com)
Required documentation and Waivers:
The PCA Event Waiver must be signed in advance through an MSR system process called SpeedWaiver. (If you are unable to complete your waiver using SpeedWaivers with your mobile device, you can print these forms IN COLOR, sign them and bring them to the event registration).
Tech Inspections: Every car on track must have a pre-event Tech Inspection performed by a professional mechanic sufficiently knowledgeable of your make and model of car to perform and sign the mandatory tech inspection form within no more than 30 days prior to this event. DE Tech Inspection Form
- This event is open all drivers 18 and over with a valid state or province-issued driver's license.
- There is no restriction on car make/model except it must pass inspection and have full fenders for each wheel (no trucks, please, but Cayennes and Macans are allowed for students).
- Non-PCA members are always welcome.
- Cars must pass technical inspections (see links below) to show they are safe for track use.
- Drivers must wear an approved helmet and proper clothing (see info/links below).
- All the following information, in more detail, is available via links in the DE section of the FSR website (link below) and will also be in the information package that will be posted at the same link shortly before registration opens.
- Wristbands will be issued at registration.
- This event will run rain or shine. Please prepare yourself and your car for the weather.
- This is NOT a racing event or racing school. Our events focus on learning proper high performance driving techniques that will translate well into both street and track use. Our goal is to provide a safe environment where all participants have fun and return home with their vehicle in the same condition as when they arrived, but having learned something new and made a few new friends. We pride ourselves on our low-key, low stress, but safe events that will make you want to join us again.
- All helmets must be Snell SA 2015 or SA2020. We do not accept M rated helmets of any year.
- When registering, please select your experience based on the following as a guide. We request that you keep your MotorsportReg.com experience profile up to date, particularly which run group you ran with in your most recent events, to assist us in making accurate run group assignments.
- Green: Novice and Beginner ( typically 0-5 events)
- Blue: Novice/Intermediate (typically 5-10 events)
- White: Upper intermediate and advanced (typically 10-40 events with solo experience)
- Black: Upper advanced (typically 40+ events and expanded passing experience)
- Red: HPDE Instructors Only
- Your preferred car number will be requested in the car info section of the registration form. If there are repeat numbers within a run group, we'll give priority to regular FSR instructors and drivers and then based on registration date and assign alternate numbers as appropriate. Number assignments can be a particularly painful evolution, so please ensure your selection and alternate choices are correct. Popular numbers are those that are easy to create using tape, so 1, 7, 0 and any combination of these are popular and will guarantee conflicts, so pick something more unusual if you want to get it every time.
- All cars must have numbers at least 8 inches high on each side of the car in a bright, easy to read contrasting color. Shoe polish on windows, although a less preferred method, is permitted, but the color must be bright and visible by the corner workers. Blue painters tape is acceptable, but must be visible (light green painters tape is also available for darker cars). Full event participants must provide their own numbers. Numbers will only be available for "Intro to HPDE" students if needed.
- All participants (instructors included) must have a tech inspection completed prior to the event and bring their completed tech form with them to the track. The form will be turned in at track tech. The tech form and specifics about how tech is conducted at the track for each run group is in the event info pack, available with all other docs and forms at the FSR website link: FSR Documents
- Convertibles must have a "fixed" roll bar or hoop extenders and pass the "broomstick" test. For late model Porsche 911s (i.e. 996/997/991/992), a factory removable hardtop is not considered sufficient by our VIR hosts unless there is a fixed roll bar installed. 986 Boxsters require a Brey-Krause or similar bar for connecting/extending the hoops.
- All participants, staff, volunteers and crew must sign the event PCA specific insurance waiver. Everyone will also be required to sign VIR’s track specific waiver at the main entrance when they arrive. (yes - that means two separate waivers)
- Camping and paddock power can be arranged through VIR. Please contact them directly for info. The Event Information Packet will have lodging information. VIR considers camping in your car trailer in the paddock as still camping so you must pay them the camping fee.
Please bring your own copies of the required forms listed in the event info pack located on the PCA FSR website . The sample event schedule is available here:
- Spring FSR DE VIR Schedule (TBD).
- Email updates will be provided to participants needing instructor assignments.
- If you have an issue with your group assignment, please contact the Registrar immediately after receiving your assignment.
- The Event Information Pack, a pdf document which includes event specifics and all required forms, can be found in the Documents section of the PCA FSR website along with a track map and DE Student Tips.
- Once you register for the event, you will receive "heads up" emails as new documents are posted.
Instructors: If you've instructed with FSR since 2008, you should have the “Instructor Entry” option available to register on the online registration form. If this option is not available and you have instructed with us in the past, please email the DE Registrar BEFORE YOU REGISTER so that we can add you to our instructor list. If you have never instructed with FSR, please provide your credentials or references via email to the DE Registrar or Chief Track Instructor BEFORE YOU REGISTER. We will then add you to our list and the instructor option will become available to you online. In either case, you must have FSR on your list of clubs in your Motorsportreg.com profile for the registrar to add you as an instructor.
NOTE: When registering please ensure you have a unique email address in your motosrportreg.com account profile. If you or a friend, family member, or someone else in the event use shared/duplicate email addresses in your profiles the system will create errors in its data base. Every registrant must have a unique non-duplicated email address assigned.
Credit cards are billed AT THE TIME OF CONFIRMATION. This may mean that you will be billed immediately or after several days. Please plan accordingly.
- Cancellations made during the month of February 2023 will incur a 5% fee if you cancel after being confirmed for the event.
- Cancellations made during the month of March 2023 will incur a $100 fee if you cancel after being confirmed for the event.
- Cancellations made during the month of April 2023 will not receive a credit or refund. If there are extenuating circumstances, please contact the DE Registrar.
- No-shows will NOT receive a credit or refund.
Any track damages determined to be your fault will be billed to FSR by the track. FSR will then invoice you for repayment via check or if you'd prefer via motorsportreg.com. However, a 5% service charge will be added if paying through motorsportreg.com to make up for the service charges FSR will be billed.
All payments are made online via the credit card on your motorsportreg.com profile. Please ensure your profile has an up to date and valid credit card assigned and credit card billing address is up to date.