About this event
ARPCA announces a Drivers Education event at the Pittsburgh International Race Complex!
Saturday and Sunday August 5 - 6, 2017 - Advanced Lapping Day on Friday August 4, 2017
The Allegheny Region of the Porsche Club of America is hosting a Drivers Education weekend at Pittsburgh International Race Complex on Saturday and Sunday August, 5 and 6, 2017. We will also be hosting an advanced lapping day on Friday, August 3, 2017.
Pittsburgh International Race Complex (commonly known at PittRace) is just a short 20-minute drive north of the Pittsburgh International Airport with easy access to the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Exit 12). The circuit was expanded in 2015 and now boasts nineteen corners, over ninety feet in elevation change and 2.75 miles in length. The circuit now offers plenty of challenges for even the most experienced driver. Forget about the old North Course, you will be on the full circuit and you will not be disappointed!
The "Open Lapping" day is for ARPCA approved experienced solo drivers and instructors on Friday August 4th. If you haven't participated with ARPCA on a lapping day and would like to, please contact Drake Core, ARPCA chief instructor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Basic Safety / Tech Information
Please read this information carefully as there has been changes for 2017!
- HELMET – 2010 or 2015 SNELL rating REQUIRED with SNELL sticker attached. SNELL SA standard strongly recommended but SNELL M helmets are acceptable. DOT-rated helmets are not acceptable. Please do not arrive with a SNELL 2005 helmet as you will not be allowed to participate!
- SEATBELTS – As a minimum the vehicle shall have the OEM restraints. If you have chosen to install 5 or 6-point harnesses, be mindful that the proper installation of these will require several changes to the automobile to create a safe occupant system. Harnesses must include an anti-submarine strap and be mounted in an approved manner consistent with the harness manufacturer instructions. A seat designed for use with harnesses will have pass-throughs for the correct routing of the harness; both through the back and seat. Equal restraint systems are required for both driver and passenger. Harnesses will be checked for expiration date compliance. Any expired harness will be granted a “one-time pass” to participate in that event but vehicle will not be allowed to be used at subsequent ARPCA events without replacement.
- SEATING REQUIREMENTS – ALL participant vehicles must have TWO seats with equal restraints for the driver and passenger. This applies to all run groups (including instructors).
- ROLL BAR – All “non-fixed-metal” roofed cars must have OEM rollover protection (e.g. 996 and later Cabriolets, Boxsters etc.) or a proper roll bar that passes the “broomstick test”. Convertibles will run with the top up or occupants will wear arm restraints.
- AGE – Drivers must be at least 18 years old and possess a valid driver’s license.
- CO-DRIVER – If two drivers will be sharing a car, only one of them may be a novice participating in the "D" run group.
- CAR SAFETY – The driver of the vehicle is responsible for the proper preparation and operation of the vehicle. All registered drivers will receive a link to ARPCA’s Vehicle Safety Inspection form, which is to be completed by a third-party automotive repair/inspection facility, signed by them,and brought to the event. All non-instructor-driven vehicles will be required to pass tech inspection at the track. No refunds will be given for failure to pass tech inspection. You will be allowed to remedy any failed items and resubmit your vehicle for approval.
- THE OPINIONS OF THE INSTRUCTOR WITH REGARDS TO SAFETY TAKES PRECEDENCE OVER STUDENT OPINIONS – The instructor assigned to the student will have the final say with regard to the operation of the car while on the track. This encompasses both the actual driving by the student as well as operation of the car and its’ equipment (e.g. data acquisition and/or cameras and recording devices). Be advised that the Chief Instructor(s) are much more likely to take the side of the instructor than that of the student in matters that involve a difference of opinion regarding the operation of the car while on the track.
- CARS THAT ARE NOT PERMITTED – All open-wheeled cars are prohibited. Cars with fenders attached to the suspension (e.g. Lotus 7/Caterham) and not attached to the body of the car in at least two locations are prohibited.
Should there be any question about the suitability of a vehicle please contact the ARPCA Safety/Tech chairman at Safety@ARPCA.com.
Be alert for new safety procedures in 2017! Details will be emailed to drivers closer to the events.
Tell us about your abilities:
In order to place you correctly, please make sure your driving resume is up to date in Motorsport Reg. A suggested structure is below:
Please make sure that your logbook of experience in your member profile is current. We will use this information to evaluate your experience and track driving abilities so as to correctly place you into your proper run group.
There will be an open lapping day on Friday August 4, 2017. Drivers who qualify for the lapping day are not provided an instructor and therefore a demonstration of a high level of experience and skill is required to qualify. If you are interested in our lapping day you are required to register for the weekend DE event as well.
All current ARPCA Instructors are automatically accepted. If you have attended an ARPCA lapping day event before at this track you will also be accepted. For all others, indicate your interest in attending the lapping day when completing the registration form. Please make sure that your logbook of experience in your member profile is current. We will use this to evaluate your ability to qualify. We may also ask for a recommendation from the Chief Instructor of your Region and will contact you by e-mail, if we need your CI’s contact information. Lapping days are operated as open track days and we are very careful to only have qualified participants at these events. This precaution is done to insure the enjoyment, but primarily the safety of all who will be sharing the track on Friday.
Costs and Options:
- Sat/Sun DE: $ 425.00
- Lapping Day Cost: $ 225.00
- Garages are available for rental directly from the track. Those interested in garage rental will be provided information to contact the track directly.
- RV / Trailer hookup rented directly from track. Those interested in electrical hookups will be provided information to contact the track directly.
You will be asked for a credit card when you register. We will charge your credit card on or about June 21, 2017 after your registration has been reviewed and approved by the event chairs. Registration fees after this date will be charged immediately.
You may adjust your registration on-line. Any additional charges will be reviewed and charged as appropriate to your credit card. If refunds are appropriate we will credit your credit card. Any refunds will be subject to the standard cancellation policy shown below.
Our refund policy has changed.
Our Refund policy: We do not charge your card until 45 days in advance of the event. After that date, the fee to cancel is $100.00 until 2 weeks before the event.
No refunds are provided less than fourteen (14) days in advance of the event. No refunds will be provided for any type of mechanical failure of your vehicle which reduces your track time or eliminates your ability to participate in the event entirely.
Changes can be made for free until June 21, 2017
Your credit card is charged June 21, 2017
One Hundred dollar ($100.00) cancel fee in effect June 21, through July 21, 2017
No refunds provided after July 21, 2017
Note: Under no circumstances will you receive a refund if you are a no-show or fail tech inspection.
Note: Event occurs rain or shine unless track management closes the circuit for any reason they deem sufficient.