About this event
Test & Tune is non-timed, non-competition track experience for licensed racers
Note: Have your racing license in your possession when you arrive
Note: The VP fueling station in Lime Rock’s B Paddock pumps 100 Unleaded, 110 Leaded and 112 Leaded (C12) for racing competitors, as well as unleaded 93 octane for track-day customers.
Note: Free compressed air is available in A-Paddock for tire pressure adjustments, adjacent to the Lime Rock Café. It is not permitted to wash vehicles at the compressed air station.
Once the Lime Rock Park race-control officials know which cars are coming, the officials divide the cars into groups of similar configurations and speeds. The goal is to give every team and driver as much track time as possible.
Gates open at 8:00 for Test & Tune Tuesdays, with cars on course beginning about 1:00 p.m. and ending between 5:00 and 6:00 p.m.
Only race cars that meet the current safety regulations of the sanctioning body under which it competes or tests are admitted, and drivers must present proof of a current racing competition license (such as but not limited to SCCA, IMSA, VSCCA, SVRA, Vintage National License, RCCA, Pro-Rally, NASCAR, IndyCar, FIA, EMRA, CASC, Endurance Racing). Recent graduates (past 12 months) of an accredited two or three day (or more) racing school are also given eligibility consideration.
For details on cars, drivers, paddocks, fuel, rules and regulations, please see details below; contact the Lime Rock Park Track Office at (860) 435-5000 to verify eligibility or if you have any other questions.
Driver Eligibility & Licenses:
- Drivers must present proof of a current racing competition license (such as but not limited to SCCA, IMSA, VSCCA, SVRA, USAC, USAC, Vintage National License, RCCA, Pro-Rally, NASCAR, IndyCar, FIA, EMRA, CASC). Recent graduates (past 12 months) of an accredited two or three day (or more) racing school are also given eligibility consideration (e.g., Lucas Oil, Bertil Roos, Bob Bondurant, Jim Russell, Skip Barber.)
Race Vehicle Requirements:
Race car compliance will be judged based on current SCCA General Competition Rules. All participating cars must be equipped with:
- quality tires in good shape
- brakes in perfect working order c) body parts fastened securely
- exhaust systems in good shape e) suspension and steering in good shape
- f) adequate rear-view mirrors
- g) functioning brake lights (except open-wheel cars)
- h) seats securely mounted with seat belts and shoulder harnesses conforming to specifications including arm restraints for open cars
- roll bars and roll cages to specification; helmet must be 2 inches below top of roll bar
- j) on-board fire bottles and/or fire systems
- k) master cut-off switch
- l) batteries secured properly
- m) fuel cells in all cars (except Showroom Stock and Vintage).
- Wooden steering wheels are permitted in approved vintage cars
Mandatory Driver & Car Safety Equipment:
- A driving suit, manufactured of fire-resistant material that effectively covers the entire body (neck to ankles and wrists), worn with fire-resistant socks, underwear and leather shoes. Multi-layer (“three-plus”) suits may be worn without underwear
- A crash helmet with a minimum Snell SA-2005 rating sticker. M-rated helmets are not acceptable. Helmets must be labeled on the back with the following information: Driver’s full name, date of birth, blood type and allergies to medication
- Drivers with beards/mustaches must wear face shields of fire resistant material. Balaclavas are highly recommended. Hair protruding from a driver’s helmet must be completely covered by fire resistant material
- Drivers of open-cockpit cars must wear full-face helmets with visors made of impact resistant material
- Cars must be equipped and drivers must properly wear competition-approved safety harnesses, seat belts and shoulder harnesses meeting current SCCA or FIA standards
Sound (dB) Levels:
There is no maximum dB level for Test & Tune Days
Flags, Hand Signals and On-Track Demeanor:
It is expected that all Test & Tune drivers understand all flags and hand signals. Absolute compliance with any flag displayed at any corner is required. Drivers who fail to observe the flag signals will be expelled from the event with no refunds. Please consult Lime Rock Park staff regarding any safety communication or procedure. Drivers who experience off-course excursions are required to hand-signal the closest corner worker indicating there are no apparent injuries. Any driver engaging in unsportsmanlike behavior will be expelled with no refunds.
IMPORTANT: LIME ROCK PARK RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY DRIVER DEEMED DANGEROUS TO EITHER THEMSELVES OR OTHERS.
Entering and Exiting the Pits:
All cars must enter and exit Pit Lane in a safe and controlled manner. The Pit Lane speed limit is 30 miles per hour from Pit-In to Pit-Out. No heavy acceleration in Pit Lane is allowed.
Lime Rock offers the following VP Racing Fuel for sale in B Paddock:
You must have a credit card to purchase fuel – the pumps are self-service and open all the time. When refueling anywhere on the grounds – including paddock, pits or pumps – a fire extinguisher is required by state law.
All prices and available octanes subject to change without notice.
Manned Corner Stations:
Lime Rock Park provides EMTs and corner workers. EMTs and ambulances are stationed at Pit Out. Corner workers flag from the following stations: Station #1 (Big Bend), Station #3 (beginning of Lefthander), Station #4 (driver’s left at Righthander), Uphill Station (top of Uphill), Bridge Station (under bridge at top of Downhill) and Start/Finish. Please attempt to get disabled cars to a designated safe zone (marked by tall cones), where you may exit the car if you wish while waiting for assistance. If you cannot get to a designated safe zone, remain with the car.
Support crews are responsible for their own safety during Test & Tune Days. The paddock speed limit is 5 miles per hour for all vehicles. A Paddock traffic is strictly ONE-WAY counter-clockwise; violators will be noted. Please pay attention to traffic in the paddocks and pits at all times. No person under 18 years of age is permitted in the pits or at corners at any time. No alcoholic beverages are allowed in the pits or paddocks until fifteen (15) minutes after conclusion of the day.
Test & Tune Daily Protocol:
- Participants may enter the property 8:00 a.m. on the scheduled Tuesdays
- No race engines may be started or “revved” before 12:00 p.m. or after 6:00 p.m.
- Test & Tune sessions generally begin at 12:30 or 1:00 p.m. and run until 5:30 or 6:00 p.m., but any given Test & Tune day is subject to adjustments and modifications
- Cars are generally divided into “open-wheel” and “closed-wheel” groups
- Group session lengths are generally 20 minutes each
- Lime Rock determines the schedule based on enrollment. In the interest of safety, Lime Rock reserves the right to limit the number of competitors on the track at any time
- All participants must leave the facility by 6:30 p.m.
- Trash receptacles and liquid recycling stations are located throughout the Lime Rock grounds
IMPORTANT: DO NOT POUR OIL, GASOLINE, ANTIFREEZE OR OTHER FLUIDS ON THE GROUND
Please contact Lime Rock Park personnel if you have any questions about the containment of waste fluids
All tires, broken fiberglass, scrap metal, batteries and any other parts that may have broken or fallen off cars must be removed from Lime Rock.