About this event
Super Slot Car Racing 2023 promises to be more exciting than ever. One of our Region’s winter family traditions will be held in early Spring this year in a new location. A fixture on our winter calendar for over 30 years, this family event is scheduled to take place on Saturday afternoon from 1 PM - 4 PM, February 18th at the Greater Annapolis Family Center Y at 1209 Governor Ritchie Hwy, Arnold, MD 21012
And there is a bonus! The famous Chili Cook-off is not to be missed and will be some of the tastiest chili you’ve ever had. Perhaps greater bragging rights will go to the winner of our Chili Cook-off. Bring a pot of your best chili and taste the competitions for a grand tasting event.
There will also be a great kid’s practice track setup to keep everyone entertained and warmed up for the big races.
Volunteers are needed for the most fun packed family event during the early spring season. We need help in setting up the track, tables, chairs, breakdown and cleaning up after our event. Please let me know if you're available at 12 noon on Saturday, February 18th to assist. To volunteer just simply show up at 12 noon.
WHEN and WHERE
- When: February 18, 2023 Saturday
- Meeting time: 1:00pm (racing will begin a little after 1 pm and continue until the championship races are over after 3pm)
- Meeting point: Greater Annapolis Family Center Y at 1209 Governor Ritchie Hwy, Arnold, MD 21012
- End of social: 4:00pm
- $20 per family for those who bring a pot of Chili or
- $30 per family if you bring a side dish or dessert
- Food/Chili Cook-off:
- Chili, hot dogs, various side dishes, and desserts will be available to self-serve
- Names of the Chili cook off winners are announced and racing trophies are awarded before 4pm
- Registration will close at midnight on February 11th.
- There is a registration fee for this event.
- If you have already registered and need help to cancel your registration, refer to this link for detailed instructions.
Slot Car Racing for Beginners
Slot car racing is a great Chesapeake PCA tradition that’s been held during the winter months for over three decades and enjoyed by adults and youngsters alike.
Members are encouraged to purchase an Analog or Digital 1/32 scale Porsche slot car(s). Digital slot cars cost around 30% more and have the ability to be programmed and change lanes on more sophisticated, digital race sets. Our club race set is an Analog track.
A variety of Slot cars are best found for purchase on-line at Ebay, Amazon and other hobby websites. Local hobby shops do not offer the same selection.
New slot cars are encouraged as used slot cars may be broken and not operable. There are many brands of slot cars (Carrera, Scalextric, Fly, Ninco etc.), however, we find the Carrera and Scalextric brands run best on our club track. Prices range from around $20 to well over $100.
Porsche model slot cars are highly encouraged; however, other models may be raced but are not eligible to win trophies.
There will be loaner slot cars available for racing for those unable to bring their own.
Send slot car racing event related questions to the Slot Car Racing Chair, Terrell Williams at Tmoneyrunner@gmail.com.