About this event
Join North Star BMW Club the weekend of June 4 - June 6 2021 for Sommer Schnell, our performance driving school, on the competition course at Brainerd International Raceway!
Sommer Schnell will run Saturday, June 5, and Sunday, June 6, and is open to drivers of all experience levels with all makes of hardtop cars.
Friday, June 4, is an open lapping day for instructors and pre-approved, advanced/A-Plus level drivers with a verifiable driving history. Friday is also a great opportunity for newer drivers or those not familiar with Brainerd International Raceway to come out, watch from various vantage points along the course and ride with instructors (helmet required)!
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions on qualification or have not driven with us during our advanced/instructor days.
- Saturday and Sunday: Cost is $365 for early registration through March 31. $50 will be added to the registration fee beginning April 1.
- Add Friday (advanced/A-Plus drivers only): Cost is $150
- Friday Only: $215 (for advanced/A-Plus drivers only)
- Required helmets are Snell EA (Elite Application), SA (Special Application), or M (Motorcycle) rated years 2015 or 2020. Year 2010 helmets will be allowed during this 11th-year standard release grace period.
- Please see event requirements on the next page for exclusions as most convertible cars, SUVs, and other high center of gravity vehicles are not allowed at this event.
- BMW CCA membership is required to attend however some exceptions will be considered. Send a message to email@example.com to learn more. Registration or renewal of BMW CCA membership can be done by visiting BMW CCA Membership. 1-year membership for BMW CCA is $58.
- Although not required, attending our Spring Car Control Clinic on May 1 at Dakota County Technical Center before Sommer Schnell is highly recommended for first-time track experience and novice drivers.
Motorwerks BMW Complimentary Tech Inspection
A vehicle tech inspection needs to be performed and a “Driving School Technical Inspection” form completed, signed, and turned in during track site registration. Motorwerks BMW is offering a free tech inspection by appointment between May 10 and May 29 during regular service hours (Monday – Friday, 7:00 – 3:30 and Saturday, 8:00 - 3:00). Call 888-866-0520 and tell the service representative you’d like to schedule a “BIR performance driving school tech inspection”. Bring a copy of the “Pre-Event Technical Inspection” form to your appointment, which you can download below. A completed and signed form is required for the event check-in at Brainerd in June so don’t forget to bring it along with you!
Drivers can also choose to have a different shop complete the inspection and sign the Driving School Technical Inspection form (at their own expense).
The tech inspection form can be found here: Sommer Schnell Information and Forms
Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge
7376 Woida Rd. N., Baxter, MN 56425
Call the hotel to book and reference "BMW Club" for a discounted rate.
Track Site Registration
Advanced track registration will be held at Prairie Bay Grill Friday, June 4 from 6:45 PM - 8:30 PM. Details will be emailed to all registered attendees in advance. Plan on showing up early, enjoying some appetizers, and hang out for a while with fellow drivers and instructors. Ensure that the following items are in hand for registration!
- Driver's License
- Helmet (Snell EA, SA or M rated years 2010, 2015 or 2020)
- Completed and signed tech inspection form
Saturday Lunch in the Paddock
New for 2021, we are offering a BBQ picnic lunch right beside the paddock! Vegetarian/Vegan options are available upon request. The cost is $16 (prepaid at time of registration) or $20 if purchased at the track (availability permitting).
Saturday Night Dinner
We are continuing the long-standing tradition of hosting dinner at Prairie Bay Grill Saturday evening, June 5th, at 7:00 PM. The cost is $38, meal choices are listed on the registration page.
If your plans should change, you may designate a substitute to attend in your place. In the event you need to cancel your registration, you may do so through May 26, 2021. Reimbursement will be made to the original form of payment. NO reimbursement will be made after May 26, 2021.
Have Questions? Please email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Required - Helmet - Snell EA (Elite Application), SA (Special Application), or M (Motorcycle) rated years 2010 (11th year grace period), 2015, or 2020 - the only years we will accept. If you do not have a helmet, rentals are available in the twin cities. Please contact the event coordinator for details.
- Suggested (not required) - neck braces and face shields.
- Motorwerks BMW is offering a free tech inspection by appointment between May 10 and May 29 during regular service hours (Monday – Friday, 7:00 – 3:30 and Saturday, 8:00 - 3:00). Call 888-866-0520 and tell the service representative you’d like to schedule a “BIR performance driving school tech inspection”. Bring a copy of the “Pre-Event Technical Inspection” form to your appointment, which you can download below. A completed and signed form is required for the event check-in at Brainerd in June so don’t forget to bring it along with you!
- Drivers can also choose to have a different shop complete the inspection and sign the Driving School Technical Inspection form (at their own expense).
Vehicle Types on track at Performance Driving School
- SUVs, vans, convertibles, Targa, and t-tops are NOT allowed at Performance Driving School events.
- SUV Exceptions: The following specific SAV (Sports Activity Vehicles) are allowed at Performance Driving School events: BMW X3, X5, and X6, as well as the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7.
- Convertible Exceptions (retractable top, whether soft or folding hardtop) must have:
- An approved roll bar or roll cage where both driver and instructor sitting upright with helmets are below the top of the roll bar
- A 5- or more point harnesses for both driver and instructor, with belts properly routed, and,
- Arm restraints
- Convertible Exceptions (removable roof section) are allowed if:
- Both driver and instructor sitting up right with helmets are below the top of the roll bar or roof line, and,
- The panels are securely in place
- Cars equipped only with factory pop-up posts or similarly activated rollover protection are not allowed.
Contact us at email@example.com before registering to discuss your SUV or Convertible vehicle or equipment configuration.