About this event
This Pitt Race Test and Tune is non-timed, non-competition track time for licensed racers with race prepared cars. This program is designed for those seeking additional seat time for driver improvement, vehicle and chassis tuning, and for those who want practice time on the Pitt Race circuit prior to a race event. This program permits advanced passing rules in order to maximize the use of time spent on the track. Pitt Race will not provide instructors for Test and Tune. This event will be primarily used by SCCA racers preparing for the weekend Super Tour event.
Four classes have been pre-set. Big Bore, Small Bore, Open Wheel (wings and things) and Spec Racer Ford (SRF). Once we have a reasonable sample of car numbers and types, we will divide the cars into more groups of similar configurations if necessary. If a five run group schedule is needed, run group times and length would be adjusted. The goal is to give every team and driver as much track time as possible. Pitt Race reserves the right to modify the run groups at any time during the day. NOTE: Group 3 street cars are NOT permitted in this test and tune.
All test days are open to the public for spectating and fans are encouraged to come watch their favorite drivers and teams practice.
$200 per car for ½ day (afternoon sessions ONLY)
$300 per car for full day
Once online registration is closed walk-ups will not be accepted. All particpants must pre-register.
Test & Tune Daily Protocol:
- Participants may enter the facility Wednesday, April 28th, beginning at 6 pm and stay overnight into the morning of this event. Please try to arrive no later than 11pm and do not paddock in an electrical powered spot or garage unless you have pre-purchased the spot.
- Driver check-in begins at 7:15 am, followed by a mandatory driver’s meeting at 7:50 am Half day participants drivers meeting will be no later than 1pm. If you arrive after the drivers meeting you must see the lead instructor before you will be given access to the track.
- No race engines may be started before 8:00 am or after 6:00 pm You will be asked to shut off your engine and it may result in a penalty with reduced track time for your vehicle.
- Test & Tune on-track sessions generally begin at 8:30 am and run until 5:30 pm, but any given Test & Tune schedule is subject to adjustments and modifications
- Pitt Race determines the schedule and run groups based on enrollment. In the interest of safety, Pitt Race reserves the right to limit the number of participants on the track at any time.
Cancellations greater than 48 hours before the event start time will be refunded in full.
Cancellations made less than 48 hours prior to the event start time will be credited toward a future Pitt Race Test and Tune.
Cancellations after the start time or no-shows will not be offered refunds or credits. This includes no-shows, withdrawing for mechanical reasons or crashes.
Tentative Schedule based on current registrations. This is subject to change as more cars register. Updates will be posted as they become available.
|8:30 AM||8:55 AM||Small Bore|
|9:00 AM||9:25 AM||SRF|
|9:30 AM||9:55 AM||Big Bore|
|10:00 AM||10:25 AM||Open Wheel|
|10:30 AM||10:55 AM||Small Bore|
|11:00 AM||11:25 AM||SRF|
|11:30 AM||11:55 AM||Big Bore|
|12:00 PM||12:25 PM||Open Wheel|
|12:25 PM||1:25 PM||Lunch|
|1:30 PM||1:55 PM||Small Bore|
|2:00 PM||2:25 PM||SRF|
|2:30 PM||2:55 PM||Big Bore|
|3:00 PM||3:25 PM||Open Wheel|
|3:30 PM||3:55 PM||Small Bore|
|4:00 PM||4:25 PM||SRF|
|4:30 PM||4:55 PM||Big Bore|
|5:00 PM||5:25 PM||Open Wheel|
- All drivers must present proof of a current competition license or have documentation from Pitt Race HPDE or other program that shows the driver is in the advanced group. We will accept valid license credentials from: SCCA, NASA Competition or HPDE4 license, Professional Sports Car Racing, VSCDA, SVRA, Vintage National License, VRG, RCCA, NASCAR, CART, FIA or EMRA. Certificates documenting the completion of a racing course from an accredited driving school within the past 12 months may also be accepted.
- Shoes that cover the entire foot must be worn while on track. (No open toe shoes or shoes with heels are permitted. (This includes Crocs style shoes, sandals, etc.)
- Long pants and long sleeved shirts are required for participation.
- Helmets Snell certified with the following ratings are accepted: SA2020, SA2015, SA2010, SAH2010, M2020, M2015, M2010, SFI 2010 and SFI 2015. Note that the 2010 rated helmets will not be valid for Pitt Race HPDE or Test and Tune after December 31, 2021.
- Drivers are required to bring their helmet to check-in for approval and helmet tech decal. The helmet will then be valid for the year indicated on the decal.
- Drivers must bring Log Book or credentials to check-in for approval if requested.
- All cars must have a completed Self-Tech Form before being permitted on track. Complete the form and turn it in on grid during your forst session. You can find a link to the form on THIS PAGE.
- This program requires all drivers to use their own qualified vehicle.
- Convertible vehicles with operational factory rollover protection system are allowed. This includes factory roll bars, pop up rollover protection, and reinforced a-pillars designed to provide rollover protection. The car must be driven with the convertible top in the up and locked position. Arm restraints are recommended.
- All other convertibles require either an installed factory hard top or a four-point roll bar. If a roll bar is installed, the top of the driver’s helmet must be below the line from the top of the roll bar (not including padding) to the top of the windshield frame. Portions of the roll bar subject to contact by the drivers’ helmet must be padded with a non-resilient material with a minimum thickness of one-half inch. Arm restraints are recommended.
- If you are unsure about your convertible compliance. Please call the track prior to completing registration so we can verify the use of the car.
- Fully prepared road race competition cars and street cars are permitted.
- Vehicles with a high center of gravity and narrow track, including SUV's, Cross-Overs, Mini Vans, and 4WD pickup trucks, are not permitted.
- No passengers in any cars at any time, excluding approved instructors or coaches riding with a student. Instructors or coaches must be seated in the front passenger seat, and must have the same safety equipment as the driver.
- Pitt Race management reserves the right to deny access to the track to any driver or vehicle for safety concerns.
Manned Corner Stations
Pitt Race provides emergency services and corner workers. Please attempt to get disabled cars to a designated safe zone and remain in car while waiting for assistance from the flag worker or Fire/Rescue.
Support crews are responsible for their own safety during Test & Tune Days. The paddock speed limit is 10 miles per hour for all vehicles. All hot-pit traffic is ONE-WAY; violators will be noted. Please pay attention to traffic in the paddocks and pits at all times. No person under 16 years of age is permitted in the pits at any time. No alcoholic beverages are allowed in the pits or paddocks.
Waste oil and engine coolant recycling containers are located behind the North Track garage area. Do no leave used collection containers or filters.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT POUR OIL, GASOLINE, ANTIFREEZE OR OTHER FLUIDS ON THE GROUND, PAVEMENT OR IN STORM DRAINS. If you violate this rule, you will be escorted off the property.
Please contact Pitt Race personnel if you have any questions about the containment of waste fluids or a spill occurs in your paddock area.
Sunoco Racing Fuel is the official fuel of Pitt Race. The following grades are available at the facility pay-at-the-pump station. There is a Sunoco mandated security program in place that will limit you to three transactions on the same card in one day. If you think you will need more fuel, bring more than one card.
· Leaded 110 Octane
· Unleaded 100 Octane
· Premium Unleaded 93 Octane (There are two pumps with 93 octane. They are dispensed from different tanks, but are the same fuel)
Garages & Electric supplied paddock spaces
If you are interested in renting a garage or electric supplied paddock spots for this event please call the track at 724-535-1000. Availability is limited and reservations are strongly recommended.