About this event
Porsche Club of America Diablo Region Track Day at Laguna Seca
Sunday, November 19, 2023
Limited size run groups, lots of track space, tons of track time
"Have Fun, Be Safe, Drive Fast"
THIS EVENT IS FOR PORSCHE CARS ONLY - Event details can be found at www.diablo-de.org
Registration opens at 12:00 AM on Tuesday, October 10, 2023.
10/14/2023: We are sold out for the Beginner run group (Beginner w/Instructor, Beginner - Solo). You may add your name to the waitlist in case of cancellations.
10/15/2023: DE101 is scheduled for Wednesday, November 1, 2023 from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM. This is an online meeting. Additional information will be sent out to registered participants.
General Event Information:
This event is open to all Porsche drivers. Only Porsche cars are allowed at this event. You must be 18 or older to participate in a PCA Driver Education event. There are no exceptions.
We are a Porsche club, not a driving school or a driving business. We run several safe, fun, and friendly track events each year. We do not race, time trial, or time laps. We aim to limit the number of cars per run group so that we can offer plenty of room on track and lots of track time. The DE team will review all registered drivers and will confirm the run group classification for each driver based on overall track experience. During the event, the DE team will work to accommodate drivers wishing to change run groups, subject to approval by our Chief Driving Instructor (CDI).
We expect to run four run groups: Beginner w/Instruction/Beginner-Solo, Intermediate, Advanced, and Instructors.
Drivers Who Require Instruction:
If you have not been approved to drive solo on the track you will need to register as Beginner w/Instruction where we will provide an instructor for you. Reservations for drivers who need instruction are on a first-come, first-served basis.
We expect the Beginner w/Instruction group to sell out quickly. You may be placed on a waitlist until we confirm the total number of Instructors for this event. The waitlist will be cleared on a first-registered/first-cleared basis.
We expect to finalize the Beginner Instruction participation list by November 10, 2023.
IMPORTANT: Helmet Rating Requirements:
Helmets are required at this event. Helmets must meet Snell SA 2015 or newer standards. Motorcycle helmets are not allowed. You may bring an approved helmet to this DE event.
WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca does not offer Helmet rentals.
Passing will be with mandatory point-by in all groups:
We take safety very seriously, and will “black flag” any participant who disregards passing protocols or consistently fails to give point-bys, including denying access to the track with no refund of registration fees if deemed necessary by the Safety Officer.
Sound Limit Strictly Enforced:
WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca enforces a strict sound limit. This is expected to be a 92db day, so please make sure your car will pass under the sound limit prior to arriving at the track. Porsches with the PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) option WILL EXCEED THE SOUND RESTRICTIONS when at full throttle at Laguna Seca, even if the PSE option is turned off! Please read the Laguna Seca sound restriction information on our DE website (http://www.diablo-de.org) to learn how to keep under the sound limit and avoid being denied driving at Laguna Seca. No refunds if your car fails to pass the track sound checks.
Safety Inspection Information:
Per PCA guidelines, all drivers must certify that their car passed a safety inspection by an authorized person within 30 days of this event. The safety inspection form can be downloaded from our DE website (http://www.diablo-de.org/home.html). All drivers must complete this safety inspection form to verify that the condition of their car is ready for the track. Well-maintained Porsches should have no problem passing tech inspection if they have good brakes, tires, no oil leaks, and no defects. If in doubt, have the experts look at your car.
The following sponsor is offering free tech inspections:
- Kahler's in Dublin – by appointment. only
- Contact them at email@example.com or by phone at 925-829-2050
Drivers are invited (strongly recommended) to attend our DE Introduction briefing called DE 101/201, which is scheduled for Wednesday, November 1, 2023 from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM. This is an online meeting. There will be a discussion on driving Laguna Seca and an opportunity for drivers of any level to share their experiences, ask questions, etc.
All instructors will need to drive their car on the track and must have been certified by a PCA Region to provide instruction. The Diablo Region DE team will review all Instructor sign-ups.
We are also allowing non-driving instructors to register for this event.
Private instructors/coaches are welcome to attend our events once approved by our Chief Driving Instructor (CDI). If you are bringing a coach to provide you instruction, please be aware that your instructor will need to:
- Contact our CDI to discuss their participation and obtain approval.
- Need to register on MSR as an ‘Instructing Only’ instructor, and also list your name in the ‘Are You Sharing a Car’ section of their registration form.
- Will not drive their own cars on the track (unless they have registered as a Participant and paid the Participant fee).
- Adhere to all Diablo PCA and track operator requirements.
Private instructors/coaches who show up on the day of the event without following the pre-registration requirements are not guaranteed to participate in this event. Please contact the CDI if you have any questions.
Two Drivers Sharing One Car:
If two different drivers are planning to drive the same vehicle, BOTH drivers must MUST be qualified to drive in different run groups (i.e., one driver must have enough DE experience to run in a higher run group than the other driver). Both drivers will not be allowed to drive in the same run group.
No passengers or guests are allowed in cars during hot lap sessions.
Run Group Selection (Run group classifications may change depending on the number of cars registered for the event):
- Beginner - Drivers with 5 or fewer track days, or who have not been cleared to drive solo, must register as Beginner w/Instruction. Drivers that have been cleared to drive solo may register as Beginner-Solo.
- Intermediate - Drivers with 19 or fewer track days who have been cleared to drive solo may register as Intermediate.
- Advanced - Drivers with 20 or more track days or Instructor experience may register as Advanced.
- Instructor - Drivers with Instructor experience may register as Instructors.
Registration Fee: $525 for Beginners Requiring Instruction, $475 for Beginners driving Solo, $475 for Intermediate and Advanced Drivers.
- Early registration will close when at midnight on Friday, November 10, 2023..
- Beginning on Saturday, November 11, 2023 a procrastination fee of $100 will be charged (excluding instructors).
- All registrations are considered preliminary until confirmed by the DE Committee. You will be notified once your registration is confirmed, if you are wait-listed, or if we were not able to accommodate your registration for this event.
- Beginners w/Instruction and Beginner - Solo may be wait-listed pending registration of Instructors.
- All refunds are subject to a $75 cancelation fee. Sorry, no refunds after Friday, November 10, 2023.
- No charge for Instructors whether you are driving or not (thank your support).
1. Registration is Critical – Priority for acceptance into this limited Event is decided by the date of registration. In the unfortunate event that you register and we do not have a place available for you, you will not be charged a registration or cancelation fee. Your credit card is not charged at the time of registration. It will be charged on a space-available basis as we confirm you into the Event and prior to the event taking place.
2. Per PCA requirements, you must be 18 or older with a valid Drivers License to participate in this event.
3. Final Event details, schedules, and instructions will be emailed to you about 1 week before the event.
4. Drivers are invited (strongly recommended) to attend our DE Introduction briefing called DE 101/201. There will be a discussion on driving Laguna Seca and an opportunity for drivers of any level to share their experiences, ask questions, etc.
5. With the end of California's Covid-19 state of emergency, Diablo Region no longer requires masking at our DE days, please feel free to continue using masks if you feel more comfortable doing so. Anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19, has exhibited any COVID-19 symptoms, or has had close personal contact with anyone else who is exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms within two weeks of the event is not allowed to attend the event. Anyone that is not feeling well, or experiencing a cough or fever, is requested to stay home.
6. Helmets are required and must meet Snell SA 2015 or newer standards. Motorcycle helmets are not allowed.
7. On the morning of the event, you must present the Registrar with a completed safety inspection form (the driver certifies that their car has undergone a safety inspection by an authorized person within 30 days of the event). Please find our Tech Inspection form here http://www.diablo-de.org/home.html. You may be asked to show your valid Driver's License at registration or during the Tech Inspection on the day of the event.
8. We will supply disposable vinyl numbers for your car, which you can place on the glass of your windshield and rear window. For those of you with windshield film on the outside of your window, place your numbers on your hood (removal of the stickers may leave a mark on your windshield film).
9. All drivers must attend the mandatory driver’s meeting which takes place before the track is opened. We will review important information, such as passing and safety rules, the flags used by corner workers, the condition of the track, etc. You will receive your run group wristband at the end of the morning meeting. No one will be allowed onto the track without a wristband.
10. If you arrive at the track after the morning meeting, you must meet with a Diablo DE team member to complete the registration process, turn in your completed Tech Inspection Form, review the items discussed during the morning meeting, and receive your wristband. You will not be allowed to go on the track until you have done this.
11. High-speed driving is inherently dangerous and all drivers and other participants in a PCA Diablo Region DE Event must accept and assume the risks associated with this sport. All participants must sign the PCA Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement. Before the event, members of the DE team will drive around the track to look for any unusual conditions on or around the track, such as mud, water or other debris, sandbags or other objects, uneven surfaces, etc., and we will discuss any such unusual conditions during the morning driver’s meeting. However, the PCA Diablo Region and our DE team members are not experts about track conditions and safety or about conducting track inspections, and you should not rely on us to spot or notify you about every potential hazard you might encounter during this Event. You are ultimately responsible for driving safely, which includes being aware of the track conditions. We encourage you to conduct your own inspection of the track and its environs in order to spot and avoid potential hazards on or around the track, such as walls, tire barriers, mud, water or other debris, sandbags, or other objects, uneven surfaces, etc.
Questions? Ask the DE Committee chair, Ed Won (DiabloPCA.DEChair01@gmail.com)