NCC 2020 HPDE and Time Trials, Summit Point - MainSummit Point - Summit Point Circuit
About this event
CRAFTSMAN AUTO CARE HPDE and Time Trials - BMW National Capital Chapter
Main Circuit at Summit Point!!
Registration Status (as of 10/05):
TT - 95% full
A/A Solo (Friday Only) - Full
B Group - Full
C Group - Full
D Group - Full with long Wait List (ie First-Timer, Beginner)
Welcome to our annual Summit Point Main Circuit HPDE at Summit Point Motorsports Park. This event is open to all run groups/skill levels with the usual 4 track sessions per day (including exercises), skidpad training, and classroom sessions. As you have come to expect, we provide a lot of track time, top-notch instructors, and an abundance of fun! Bratwurst dinner sponsored by Bimmerworld!
We are also holding our first-ever BMW CCA Time Trials on Saturday and Sunday. The Time Trials are available to Instructors, Advanced and A-Solo students. Each participant will get a warm-up, qualifying, and 2 timed sessions. Participants can drive their normal “track” car without having to prepare their car beyond what is required for a normal HPDE. We will provide each driver/car with a transponder to record your lap times. The Time Trial Run Group will be divided into 4 different classes based on a combination of horsepower to weight ratio and/or car modifications. Each class will receive an award (and bragging rights) for the best lap time over the two days. For more information about the Time Trials or about required student experience level, contact John Driscoll - email@example.com
Fridays are now open to Advanced students and Approved Solo drivers! Contact the Registrar if you have questions on your status as a National Capital Chapter Advanced or Approved Solo driver. Students new to NCC must have approval from the Chief Instructor to register for Friday.
- Student Two-Day Registration: $475
- Student Two-Day Time Trials Registration: $500
- Student Single Day Registration: $275
- Advanced/Solo Driver 3-day Registration (includes Saturday and Sunday Time Trial): $650
- Advanced and Solo Drivers Friday Only Registration: $200
- Friday Skidpad Sessions for all level drivers: $50
- Instructor Two-Day Time Trials Registration (providing you instruct 1 student): $200
NCC offers an A-Solo option for Advanced students. By Advanced students we are looking for students that have approximately 25 days of track experience, have been cleared A-Solo by another BMW CCA HPDE driving program, and have experience on the track they wish to drive solo on.
All students wishing to drive solo, will be approved and confirmed by the Chief Instructor. If you have not been cleared for A-Solo in the past, never driven Solo with NCC or have never driven the track before. You must attend Friday’s training day (the Friday before the HPDE) and be evaluated by one of our instructors. Following this evaluation you will be cleared to drive Solo during the Saturday and Sunday HPDE. If you still have questions please contact the NCC HPDE Registrar.
NOTE: Due to adding a Time Trial to HPDE format, we will no longer offer a Saturday and Sunday Solo run group. Instead, we are encouraging our Advanced and A-Solo to participate in our Time Trial described above.
The coronavirus pandemic certainly has limited our time on the track. As we prepare to return to “normal” track time, we will be subjected to restrictions dictated by CDC, State of West Virginia, the track owners and the BMW CCA. To that end we have endeavored to develop a registration process that involves little to no personal contact for your safety and ours.
During the HPDE, social distancing will be the standard and masks will be expected to be used when distancing is not possible. Your temperature will be screened daily using an IR thermometer and you will be given a new wrist band each day.
Due to pandemic safety precautions, we are currently unable to offer in-car instruction. The first-time and beginner run group (D) will have one instructor per student. Groups C and B will be instructed in a lead-follow format with two students paired with one instructor. A and A-Solo will be part of the Time Trial. Each student will drive their own car following the instructor’s car. More than likely, no in-car instruction will be offered.
NCC HPDE Hotel Partner:
142 Foxridge Ln
Winchester, VA 22603
Mention NCC BMW to receive discounted rate of $72/night (includes complimentary breakfast!)
A current BMWCCA membership is required to participate in our HPDEs.
Due to strong demand for space in National Capital Chapter (NCC) HPDEs, we are sometimes unable to accommodate all the students who apply. For HPDEs where applications exceed our school capacity, we will admit students as outlined below.
Applicants that exceed our HPDE capacity or instructor load will be waitlisted. Students who sign up for a single day will be placed on the waitlist until it is confirmed that we have enough instructors for students signing up for both days.
Driver age requirements/credentials
- All driver participants must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid driver's license. Note: 16 year olds may ride as a passenger in an instructor car with a parent signed waiver.
- Long pants are required while driving on the track for all NCC HPDEs.
- Short sleeve T-shirts are permitted, however, sleeveless shirts or tank tops are not permitted.
- No open-toed shoes, sandals or flip flops are permitted while driving on the track.
- Helmets ---Note these requirements--- must be certified to Snell M2010 or Snell SA-2010 or later. Full-face helmets with SA-2010 or later certifications are strongly recommended. The Snell Memorial Foundation’s certification will be found on a sticker inside the helmet. Loaner helmets are available on a limited basis. Contact the registrar to request a loaner helmet.
- Trucks, vans and motorcycles are NOT permitted!
- All cars must be quiet enough to allow for in-car communication
- Summit Point Motorsports Park has a maximum allowable decibel of 103 for HPDE and non race programs. At the very least, your HPDE registered vehicle must be quiet enough to allow appropriate in car, on-track, communication between instructor and student and must also not interfere with communication between other instructors/students on track. If you're not certain if your car is acceptable, test the decibels or contact us.
- All cars must have passenger seats and equal restraint systems for both passenger and driver (e.g., if the driver has a five-point harness, the passenger must have a five-point harness as well.)
- All convertibles, T-tops, targa-tops, or other vehicles with removable tops must run with their tops up / roof panels installed
- All convertibles, T-tops, targa-tops, race cars, other vehicles with removable tops must be equipped with factory rollover protection (i.e., built-in structural integrity, or be fitted with an approved SCCA / NASA aftermarket roll bar or roll cage)
- Drivers of T-top or targa-top vehicles must provide the manufacturer’s certification of his vehicle’s rollover protection during the registration process. (We do not have this information for all makes and models that present themselves to our events).
- Convertibles or other vehicles with removable tops must possess a 5 or more-point harness.
- Factory installed, or aftermarket roll bars and roll cages must provide 2” inch of clearance above the driver’s head with helmet on (The Height Test may be re-checked at the track. If you do NOT pass this test you will forfeit your registration fee and not be able to run in the event)
- If roll bars or cages are installed, they must be fully padded above the level of the front door window sills (anyplace the driver’s/passenger’s head could come in contact with the roll cage).
- Compact SUVs, including BMW X1, X2, X3, X3M, X4 and X4M. Porsche Macan, Mercedes GLA & GLC, and Audi Q3 & Q5 are permitted in the Novice and Lower Intermediate run groups only
- 2016 or newer vehicles equipped with active driver assisted technology (i.e., lane keeping, collision avoidance or auto braking) must have the capability to be completely deactivated. (These active driver assisted systems will be turned off for all HPDE sessions)
- Video recording equipment is permitted however, in addition to a suction cup or other rigid mount, equipment mounted inside the car must be tethered by a lanyard (i.e. a second means of securing the equipment should the primary mount fail). External mounting is permitted, as long as the location does not obstruct the driver’s or instructor’s view: cannot come in contact with another vehicle on the track (i.e. on the sides, front or back of your car), or bounce off of the pavement should the suction cups fail (i.e. down low).
- The Chief Instructor has the final determination on the safety of all vehicles prior to admittance on track! If you are uncertain, please contact us prior to registration to confirm.
- Cars must be inspected within 4 weeks of every HPDE by a qualified service facility. A properly completed tech inspection form (supplied) must be presented at the track. It is your responsibility to ensure that your car is safe and road-worthy. If you are bringing a race car, or car not currently inspected for road use, you must present proper race car safety and certification material (i.e., annual race inspection).
- Grid inspections will be performed at the track on Friday evening and Saturday morning prior to registration. (Your tech and grid inspection are required to complete registration).
- All students and instructors are required to complete and turn in at registration a medical form with emergency contact information that can be used by event organizers to make any necessary notifications in the unlikely event of an on-track incident or injury. The forms are kept strictly confidential and are destroyed (or returned to the student upon request) following every event.
Technical Inspection and Medical Form.pdf
ATTENTION BMW E36 CAR OWNERS: The original radiator must have been replaced in ANY E36 BMW that drives in our schools. This is a safety issue and not negotiable. Download and read the Tech Inspection form on the NCC website (nccbmwcca.org) for the rules concerning you car. It is your responsibility to understand these rules prior to registration. If you wait too late and cannot meet the radiator requirement before the school, you run the risk of forfeiting part or all of your registration fee based on the Refund Policy noted below.
Prior approval is required for students intending to share cars and for changes in car type after registration!!
Student and instructor schedules are finalized and sent to the printer approximately fifteen days prior to the event. Our HPDE costs are fixed and based on financial obligations we enter into once you register and we accept you into the event. Tuition is priced as low as possible based upon your acceptance and attendance.
If you cancel your registration two weeks before the Friday of the relative event, you'll not be charged for your registration. If you cancel your registration between 14 and 7 days before the relative event, you'll receive a 50% refund of you payment minus NCC incurred registration fees which are approximately 3.5%. If you cancel your registration within 7 days of the relative event, also known as the 'Freeze' date, you'll receive no refund.
Registrations canceled after 5pm on the Freeze Date, will receive no refund. NCC incurred MSReg.com registration fees are the responsibility of the registrant/student regardless of the reason for the cancellation. Cancellation is the responsibility of the registrant and can be executed through MSReg. Notification to the Registrar may be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you fail to attend the HPDE without notifying the Registrar prior to 5:00 p.m. the Friday before the event, you will forfeit your entire tuition for that weekend.
If you damage your car or your car breaks for any reason and you cannot drive or continue in the school, there will be no refund provided for the remainder of the event that is missed. For example, if you run off the track and break your suspension or if your radiator breaks on Saturday morning at 9:00am and you cannot run any more laps that weekend, you will not be reimbursed for any of your event fees for that event.
The National Capital Chapter reserves the right to decline entry to any individual and to any vehicle deemed unsafe or unsuitable for track use.
There will be no exceptions made to these cancellation and refund rules. They have been developed over many years of experience operating NCC driving schools. Please do not ask us to make an exception to your 'unique' situation. Thank you for helping us run a safe and financially successful HPDE program.
Summit Point Motorsports Park General Rules
1. It is the responsibility of the LESSEE to post the rules to any and all online links, and include in any registration packets for the event to be held at Summit Point Motorsports Park.
2. PIT BIKES, ATVs and any other similar type vehicles are restricted to the general paddock area ONLY and are not permitted to be used outside of the paddock or in any “off road” areas of the facility. All operators are required to have a valid license for the vehicle, and no one under 16 is to be permitted to operate any motorized vehicle except as permitted by LESSEE’s insurance during track activities.
3. DRONES or any other remote flying type craft are not permitted to be flown at any time in any area of the property and may be subject to confiscation.
4. Participants of an event at Summit Point Motorsports Park are limited to the circuit, paddock, and general access roads immediately surrounding the circuit where the event is taking place. Absolutely no admission to any other circuit or training area is permitted. Other areas may include ranges, off road training areas, or other circuits which may or may not be in use for other events.
5. Facility Access for participants may be arranged the day prior to an event. Such access will be no earlier than 6 p.m. on the day prior to an event. Should such access not be arranged in advance, access is 7 a.m. the day of the event.
6. Facility Access when moving from one circuit to another on successive days. Should the LESSEE be renting more than one circuit on successive days, transfer from one paddock to the next shall not occur before 7 p.m. of the first day of an event to allow for proper time to clean and make ready the paddock for the event.
7. Sound Limits Summit Point Motorsports Park has a 103dB sound limit. Any vehicle(s) found to be over the sound limit will be removed from the circuit and given time to correct the issue before returning to the circuit. Repeat violations of the sound limit may result in the vehicle not being permitted on to the circuit.
8. Fireworks are not permitted at any time at Summit Point Motorsports Park.
9. Quiet Time No “race engines” or other loud vehicles may be run either on track, in the paddock, or in any area of the facility prior to 7 a.m. or after 7 p.m. Additionally, the Shenandoah Circuit is subject to a “Quiet Hour” for church services in the community from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. every Sunday.
10. Speed Limits on any and all access roads on the facility is 20MPH and “Walking Speed” within paddock confines.
11. Grills and self-contained raised "fire pits" are permitted to use during an event. Campfires are NOT permitted.
12. PETS should be leashed at all times and non-aggressive to people and other animals. Owners are expected to clean up after their pets.
13. Children are always welcome at Summit Point and should be supervised at all times. Bicycle riding should be limited to after the track goes “cold” to limit interaction with moving vehicles in the paddock, and riders under 18 should wear protective head gear at all times in accordance with West Virginia state law.
14. Cones used by an event are to be picked up and returned to the cone shed in your respective paddock at the conclusion of the event. Failure to do so will result in a $250.00 fee billed to the club.
15. Spills and Clean Up should be reported right away to maintenance, whether on track or in the paddock. Oil dry used during an event to clean up spills will be billed to the LESSEE at a rate of $15.00 per bag.
16. Firearms are not permitted
17. Participants are responsible for paying for any track damage or other costs incurred by Summit Point