About this event
Registration for this tour opens on June 1st at 8:00 AM! Read everything carefully or you will be uninformed and lost!!
It's back!! The third running of the Maryhill Loops Road, Maryhill Museum of Art, Stonehenge replica, Maryhill Winery and potentially the newly renovated Goldendale Observatory! Quite a weekend to be sure!! Come join your fellow PNWR members in this event showcasing the Maryhill Loops Road and Art Museum. Maryhill Museum of Art founder Sam Hill was one of the Northwest’s first and most vocal advocates for modern roads. In 1998, a 3.6 mile section of the road was completely refurbished and received the Outstanding Project of Historical Significance Award from the American Public Works Association, Washington State Chapter. This section of road rises 850 feet at a 5% grade and is home to 25 turns, 8 of which are hairpins. We have rented this historic Maryhill Loops Road for our EXCLUSIVE USE-- that means NO ONE else will be on it! As part of your registration, note that there is a $30 per car fee to drive the Loops road to partially offset the cost of renting the road.
The starting point on Friday, July 30th is the Auburn Outlet Mall parking lot, across from Panera Bread and IHOP. This is an all-day drive on Friday, July30th to get to The Dalles, OR (6 1/2 hours plus the lunch stop) so be prepared for an adventure! Arrive between 8:00 and 8:30; drivers meeting at 8:30; first group departs promptly at 9:00. Arrive at the start point with a full tank of gas, proper tire pressures and clean windows. This tour is limited to 60 cars to keep the group logistics manageable and tour experience enjoyable for all participants, especially on Maryhill Loops Road. We may run in two "cells" of three groups each with an hour spacing between cells. This will take some pre-organizing, so plan to be flexible! We need up to 6 groups leads and 6 group sweeps for this event if we are going to keep control of 60 cars!! Please volunteer if you have been a past group leader. Group sweeps can be first timers and get briefed by the respective group lead, if necessary.
Friday, July 30 :Driving Tour to Cousins Country Inn in The Dalles, OR, with a couple of great driving segments after lunch at Bob's Burgers and Grill in Yakima (current plan). Friday night: everyone is on their own for dinner, BUT plan to make advanced reservations at the Cousins Country Inn dining room. The option is to find a local restaurant in The Dalles (and also make advanced reservations). This area is extremely popular in the summer and some restaurants do not take reservations--wait times can be over an hour to be seated.
Saturday, July 31: Maryhill Loops Road Tour, Maryhill Museum of Art (one your own) OR a side tour with lunch in Goldendale either prior to or after your drive on Maryhill Loops Road, depending on whether you are in the morning or afternoon group. On your registration, you must choose whether you want to be in the morning or afternoon Maryhill Loops group, but no guarantees since we have to balance the number of cars.
Sunday, August 1: Return home on your own OR we are exploring the possibility of getting a group tour of the newley renovated Goldendale Observatiory on Sunday afernoon so stay tuned. Note this item on your registration.
Reservations: Cousins Country Inn, 2114 W 6th St., The Dalles, OR 97058 (800) 848-9378 or (541) 298-5161. Tell them you are in the "PNW Porsche Club" block of rooms . Make your own reservations. You can register for the tour until July 23rd with the understanding that you are not guaranteed a room at Cousins Country Inn after June 30th when our room block expires and any remaining rooms will be returned into inventory!!
Our room block includes:
(25) Single rooms @ $99.00 plus tax
(31) Double rooms @ $109.00 plus tax
(4) Deluxe rooms @ $139.00 plus tax
Total = 60 rooms
Important note: IF we were able to hold a mass banquet (currently not possible due to Covid distance restrictions), the banquet room at the hotel can only handle 72 people. After that, attendees will have to eat in the regular dining room or pick a restaurant in town.
As noted earlier, Friday night dining is "on your own". However, many restaurants around The Dalles do not accept reservations and the wait can be an hour, so it is first come, first served. If you would rather just eat at Cousins Country Inn on Friday night after a long day of driving, get your name on the ldining room list when you check in..
Check out these websites for more information. The second link is a classic Porsche 911 video of the run up the road. with our own Jeff Jones and his son!
IF YOU WANT TO BE IN THE SAME GROUP WITH SOMEONE, DO NOT WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE GROUP ASSIGNMENTS ARE PUBLISHED!! Notify the tour chair when you register. The same caveat applies to your choice of morning or afternoon on Maryhill Loops Road run groups. Coordinate BEFOR registering!
Questions contact: Greg Halverson at email@example.com or call (206) 391-9385. Don't miss this unique tour!
- Cancellations and refunds: Please read and understand this policy before registering. Up until July 23rd you may cancel your tour registration. However, the 50 room hotel block at the reduced rate is only good until June 30th. After that, it is on a space available basis. The rooms will likely sell out soon after our block is released and other hotels in the area are much more expensive. There will be NO REFUNDS for the Maryhill Loops Road registration after July 23rd!
- Car club membership: To participate you must be a member of the PCA and PNWR. Porsche owners who are not members may register and receive a special invitation on a case-by-case basis although this tour will sell out fat with our own PNWR members..
- Non-Porsches on the Tour: There are no non-Porsches allowed on the tour unless there are extenuating circumstances (car in the shop, awaiting delivery, etc)
For Adult participants and attendees: All participants must sign the PCA liability waiver and Communicable Disease Waiver (CDW) using the MSR electronic SpeedWaiver process.at https://pnwrtours.speedwaiver.com/ezrce. All passengers must also sign using this same link!! Remember, there are TWO (2) waivers to sign. To be successful, you MUST receive a text message saying "You're all Set" and the link containing your signed wiavers will be sent to you for confirmation.
- Age and driver's license restrictions: All drivers must be at least 18 years old and in possession of a valid US driver's license at the time of the Tour. A driving permit is not acceptable. For participants under 18 years old, the same SpeedWaiver process is used except the minor's name is entered along with one of the parent's smart phone numbers. The selfie is taken of the minor, BUT the parent signs the forms.
- Registering for Passengers: Please make sure to include the names of any passengers riding with you in the space provided during registration. If you have two cars on the tour each car and driver should register with a separate MotorsportReg account.
A note on Waivers:
- If you want to preview what you are signing on the SpeedWaiver, the wording is included here as part of this registration. In fact, you can't continue with the registration until you check the box saying you have read it! (just sayin'!). As for the CDW, you can read the words online prior to signing.
- Additional information: See our club website http://www.pnwr.org/