About this event
Our 7th event of the season will be run in conjunction with the Watkins Glen Grand Prix Festival activities! This event will require online registration. We are also going to limit total entries to 80 - so get signed up ASAP! Payment will still be made at the event in-person and not online (fees will be $35 for SCCA members and $45 for non-members). We expect this to be a pretty big event and would encourage you to sign up as soon as you're able!
This event will feature 2 separate courses. We'll have our main, more competitive course set up on the North Paddock lot and a smaller, easier course on the East Paddock. Your entry to the event will allow you the option of running either or both courses throughout the day. The main course will be using our usual Timing & Scoring equipment and will count towards Glen Region season championship points. There will also be trophies and awards for best times at the end of the day for the main course. The easier course will be a bit more relaxed with stopwatch timing and no trophies or awards.
Competitors will be split into run groups for the event and at any given point in the day your run group will be either running (on course), working, or resting (free time). When your group is running, you will have the option of driving the main course or easy course. Regardless of which course you run, you will be required to report for your work assignment when it is time to do so (if you run the easy course, this may mean you have to drive back to the main course in time to report for your work assignment on that course). When your group is resting, you can feel free to run on the easy course as time permits - but runs on the main course will be by run group only. This will all be explained in a bit more detail at the drivers meeting, the morning of the event.
As mentioned, this event will be held on the North Paddock and East Paddock at Watkins Glen International. We'll have our Solo paddock just North of that in the "North North Paddock." For specifically where we'll be, check this map. The East Course is not marked on that image but can be partially seen directly below the two white buildings in the bottom, middle of the image.
Please note: as stated, online registration will be required for this event and entries will be limited to 80 and is FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED!
Intro to Solo
Since many of you reading this may be new to autocross or the SCCA, here are a few tips to help you prepare for this upcoming event. You can even start with this Solo FAQ (PDF) from the SCCA.
- Class/Number: Figuring out the correct class for a vehicle is ultimately the responsibility of the driver. The Region can sometimes help with this but we suggest consulting the Solo rules (PDF) and the class list by manufacturer (PDF) as a starting point. Your number is also up to you but must be unique to your class. Both class and number must be clearly displayed on both sides of the vehicle. Class letters should be at least 4" tall and numbers at least 8" tall. Color should be contrasting to your paint (or windows). We typically have painters tape and shoe polish on hand but you could also print on a sheet of paper and tape it inside your window.
- Helmets: Must be on the list of certified/approved helmets (PDF). Helmets with only DOT certification are not allowed. The Glen Region has a handful of helmets available to borrow but definitely not enough for everyone.
- Tech Inspection: All cars will be required to pass a basic tech inspection including (but not limited to) checking: proper number/class display, wheel bearings, brake function, secured battery, throttle return, cleared interior, etc.
- Working: Competitors will be split into run groups and while one group is running, the others may be "working" or resting. Working usually entails either working on a station on course radioing penalties or fixing cones or one of the other specialties of the day (registration, tech, etc) and is required for all competitors. Those that do not complete their work assignments will be disqualified.
Once you've gotten all of that down, continue on for the actual registration.
Typical event schedule:
|Registration||8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.|
|Tech Inspection||8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.|
|Driver's Meeting||9:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.|
|Novice Walk||9:45 a.m.|
|First Car Off||10:00 a.m.|
|Last Car Off||4:00 p.m. (approx)|
|Awards||After last car and cleanup|
For this event, the Glen Region will require online registration to get an accurate count of attendees and ensure we're able to run an event to our standards. But even with this online system, you will still be required to submit payment, sign the waiver, and complete your registration in person at the event. This system will also allow us to get your information into our Timing & Scoring system early, saving you precious minutes the morning of the event.
2015 Glen Region Entry Fees:
- SCCA Member Entry Fee $35
- Non-Member Entry Fee $45
Payment is not accepted online and will be due at registration at the event (cash/check/major credit cards accepted in person).
Day-of-Event Registration Hours
Registration at the event will be open form 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. only. A short window may be available after 9 a.m. for a late entry, but a late fee will be assessed. Please arrive on time.