About this event
EVENT IS CANCELED AS OF 5:30 PM on TUESDAY MAY 5, 2020.
EVENT IS CANCELED
Please join us for our Spring 2020 Drivers Education (DE) at VIR in Alton, VA. We will be running on the Full Course all three days. This event is open to any driver 18 and over with a valid state or province issued driver's license and with any make/model of car that has full fenders for each wheel (Cayennes and Macans are welcome for student drivers). VIR requires "fixed" roll-over protection for convertibles/cabriolets--factory pop-up bars will not suffice. PCA membership is NOT necessary. Please bring your driver's license with you to registration.
An instructor will be assigned to Green and Blue Group drivers and there will be daily classroom sessions for the Green, Blue, Blue Solo, and White run groups. If you are signing up as a Blue Solo, White Intermediate Solo, or Black Advanced driver, you will be asked for references if you have not run with FSR before.
Registration Fees: Drivers: $ 550, Instructors with one student: $ 250, Instructors with two students: Complimentary (limited slots). This is a three day event.
Are you new to DE and on the fence about whether Driver’s Education is for you? Sign up for our DE INTRO! For a $ 75 fee, we’ll get you out on the track in your car with an instructor for a single at-speed session mid-day on Saturday. Standard DE safety requirements apply, so you’ll need a Snell SA 2010 or SA 2015 rated helmet. FSR has just a few loaners available, so please email the registrar before you sign up if you'd like to borrow one. You will also need to have your car pre-inspected by a shop prior to coming to the track.
Are you an Advanced driver wanting to step up your game and lower your lap times? Contact the registrar--we can put you in touch with a local yet world renowned pro coach so you can arrange for individualized coaching Any arrangements are made strictly between you and the coach and you must follow all normal PCA FSR HPDE rules and schedules.
Sample Event Schedule May-19-VIRSchedule.pdf
Tech Form: DE-Tech Inspection Form
You can also download the TrackKeeper iOS App. It is a convenient “At the Track” schedule manager and time tracking tool with a host of handy features. The TrackKeeper App is suitable to manage time and tasks more effectively and efficiently while you enjoy your track day. A must-have for any track day enthusiast, TrackKeeper keeps all data in sync across iOS mobile devices.
For more information, visit: http://app.mytrackkeeper.com
(If you don't have an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iTouch), you can access the myTrackKeeper Web App by pointing your mobile browser to: http://www.mytrackkeeper.com)
- This event is open all drivers 18 and over with a valid state or province-issued driver's license. There is no restriction on car make/model except it must pass inspection and have full fenders for each wheel (no trucks, please but Cayennes and Macans are allowed for students) . Non-PCA members are always welcome. Cars must pass technical inspections (see links below) to show they are safe for track use. Drivers must wear an approved helmet and proper clothing (see info/links below). All the following information, in more detail, is available via links in the DE section of the FSR website (link below) and will also be in the information package that will be posted at the same link shortly before registration opens. Wristbands will be issued at registration.
- This event will run rain or shine.
- This is NOT a racing event or racing school. Our events focus on learning proper high performance driving techniques that will translate well into both street and track use. Our goal is to provide a safe environment where all participants have fun and return home with their vehicle in the same condition as when they arrived, but having learned something new and made a few new friends. We pride ourselves on our low-key, low stress, but safe events that will make you want to join us again.
- All helmets must be Snell SA2010 or SA2015 specification. We do not accept M rated helmets of any year.
When registering, please select your experience based on the following as a guide. We request that you keep your MotorsportReg.com experience profile up to date, particularly which run group you ran with in your most recent events, to assist us in making accurate run group assignments.
- Green: Novice and Beginner ( typically 0-5 events)
- Blue: Novice/Intermediate (typically 5-10 events)
- Blue Solo: Blue with documentation of solo experience on VIR Full course
- White: Upper intermediate and advanced (typically 10-40 events with solo experience)
- Black: Upper advanced (typically 40+ events and expanded passing experience)
- Red: HPDE Instructors Only
- Your preferred car number will be requested in the car info section of the registration form. If there are repeat numbers within a run group, we'll give priority to regular FSR instructors and drivers and then based on registration date and assign alternate numbers as appropriate. Number assignments can be a particularly painful evolution, so please ensure your selection and alternate choices are correct. Popular numbers are those that are easy to create using tape, so 1, 7, 0 and any combination of these are popular and will guarantee conflicts, so pick something more unusual if you want to get it every time.
- All cars must have numbers at least 8 inches high on each side of the car in a bright, easy to read contrasting color. Shoe polish on windows, although a less preferred method, is permitted, but the color must be bright and visible by the corner workers. Blue painters tape is acceptable, but must be visible (light green painters tape is also available for darker cars). Full event participants must provide their own numbers. Numbers will only be available for "Intro to HPDE" students if needed.
- All participants (instructors included) must have a tech inspection completed prior to the event and bring their completed tech form with them to the track. The inspection must be performed by a qualified mechanic (i.e. a professional) or club tech inspector and the form filled out, signed and stamped by the mechanic/inspector (if they have a stamp). The form will be turned in at track tech. The tech form and specifics about how tech is conducted at the track for each run group is in the event info pack, available with all other docs and forms at the FSR website link: FSR Documents
- Convertibles must have a roll bar or hoop extenders and pass the "broomstick" test. For late model Porsche 911s (i.e. 996/997/991/992), a factory removable hardtop obviates the need for a traditional roll bar. 986 Boxsters require a Brey-Krause or similar bar for connecting the hoops. VIR rules prohibit pop-up type roll bars found in 911 Cabs and other similarly equipped cars.
- All participants, staff, and guests must sign the event PCA specific insurance waiver at track registration. Everyone will also be required to sign VIR’s track specific waiver at the main entrance when they arrive. (yes--that means two separate waivers)
- Camping and paddock power can be arranged through VIR. Please contact them directly for info. The Event Information Packet will have lodging information.
Please bring your own copies of the required forms listed in the event info pack located on the PCA FSR website . The sample event schedule is available here:
- Spring FSR DE VIR Schedule May-19-VIRSchedule.pdf
- Email updates will be provided to all registered participants when final run group and car numbers are assigned or new documents are posted online, i.e. the event schedule and instructor assignments. If you have an issue with your group assignment, please contact the Registrar immediately after receiving your assignment.
- The Event Information Pack, a pdf document which includes event specifics and all required forms, will be found in the Documents section of the PCA FSR website, a track map and DE Student Tips within two weeks of the event if not earlier. Other event documents, such as the final schedule and instructor/student assignments, will also be posted there as they are published. Once you register for the event, you will receive "heads up" emails as these new documents are posted.
Instructors: If you've instructed with FSR since 2008, you should have the “Instructor Entry” option available to register on the online registration form. If this option is not available and you have instructed with us in the past, please email the DE Registrar BEFORE YOU REGISTER so that we can add you to our instructor list. If you have never instructed with FSR, please provide your credentials/references via email to the DE Registrar or Chief Track Instructor BEFORE YOU REGISTER. We will then add you to our list and the instructor option will become available to you online. In either case, you must have FSR on your list of clubs in your Motorsportreg.com profile for the registrar to add you as an instructor.
NOTE: When registering please ensure you have a unique email address in your motosrportreg.com account profile. If you or a friend, family member, or someone else in the event use shared/duplicate email addresses in your profiles the system will create errors in its data base. Every registrant must have a unique non-duplicated email address assigned.
Payment for this event is upon registration.
Cancelation/Refund Policy: Credit Cards are charged at the time of registration.
No refunds will be issued within 2 weeks of the event start date. A Motorsportreg.com CREDIT will be issued, allowing you to use the credit to register for a future DE (up to one year).
CREDIT requests must be made in writing or through the motorsportreg.com cancelation button on the MY EVENTS page. No-shows will NOT receive a credit. If there are extenuating circumstances, please contact the DE Registrar.
If you have any questions or are not sure how to proceed, please email the DE Registrar and we'll steer you in the right direction. Thanks for your cooperation.