About this event
Please join us for our Fall 2020
Drivers Education (DE) at VIR in Alton, VA. We will be running on the Full Course both days. This event is open to any driver 18 and over with a valid state or province issued driver's license and with any make/model of car. Please bring your driver's license with you to registration.
An instructor will be assigned to Green and Blue Group drivers and there will be daily classroom sessions for the Green, Blue, and White run groups. If you are signing up as a Blue Solo, White Intermediate Solo, or Black Advanced driver, you will be asked for references if you have not run with FSR before.
Registration Fees: Drivers: $TBD, Instructors with one student: $TBD, Instructors with two students: Complimentary (limited slots).
Are you new to DE and on the fence about whether Driver’s Education is for you? Sign up for our "DE INTRO"! For a $TBD fee, we’ll get you out on the track in your car with an instructor for a single session mid-day on Saturday. Cayennes and Macans are approved for this event. Standard DE safety requirements apply, so in addition to a requirement for getting your car tech inspected prior to the event you’ll also need a Snell SA 2010 or SA 2015 rated helmet. FSR has just a few loaner helmets available, so please email the registrar before you sign up if you'd like to borrow one. DE Intro and Green & Blue Student Groups are now open to Cayennes and Macans.
Are you an Advanced driver wanting to step up your game and lower your lap times? Contact the registrar--we can put you in touch with Peter Krause, a world-renowned pro driving coach and VIR expert so you can arrange for individualized coaching. Any arrangements are made strictly between you and the coach and you must follow all normal PCA FSR HPDE rules and schedules. (Coaching is for solo drivers only)
You can also download the TrackKeeper iOS App. It is a convenient “At the Track” schedule manager and time tracking tool with a host of handy features. The TrackKeeper App is suitable to manage time and tasks more effectively and efficiently while you enjoy your track day. A must-have for any track day enthusiast, TrackKeeper keeps all data in sync across iOS mobile devices.
For more information, visit: http://app.mytrackkeeper.com
(If you don't have an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iTouch), you can access the myTrackKeeper Web App by pointing your mobile browser to: http://www.mytrackkeeper.com)
- This event is open all drivers 18 and over with a valid state or province-issued driver's license.
- There is no restriction on car make/model (no trucks, Porsche SUVs only allowed for "instructed student drivers".). Cars must pass technical inspections (see links below) to show they are safe for track use. VIR does not allow convertibles/cabriolets without fixed roll-over protection for both the driver and instructor. Convertibles driven without a top up (recommended) require arm restraints for the driver and any instructor. Cars must have fenders for all wheels.
- Drivers must wear an approved helmet and proper clothing (see info/links below). All the following information, in more detail, is available via links in the DE section of the FSR website (link below) and will also be in the information package that will be posted at the same link shortly before registration opens. Wristbands will be issued at registration.
- This event will run rain or shine.
- This is NOT a racing event or racing school. Our events focus on learning proper high performance driving techniques that will translate well into both street and track use. Our goal is to provide a safe environment where all participants have fun and return home with their vehicle in the same condition as when they arrived, but having learned something new and made a few new friends. We pride ourselves on our low-key, low stress events that will make you want to join us again.
- All helmets must be Snell SA2010 or SA2015 specification. We do not accept M rated helmets of any year.
- If your car is equipped with and you are using racing seats, harnesses and roll/harness bars you must wear a proper Head and Neck Restraint (eg HANS).
When registering, please select your experience based on the following as a guide. We request that you keep your MotorsportReg.com experience profile up to date, particularly which run group you ran with in your most recent events, to assist us in making accurate run group assignments.
- Green: Novice and Beginner ( typically 0-5 events) (Instructed)
- Blue: Novice/Intermediate (typically 5-10 events) (Instructed)
- Blue Solo: Blue with documented experience of solo experience on VIR Full course
- White: Upper intermediate Solo and advanced (typically 10-40 events with solo exp)
- Black: Upper advanced Solo and instructor overflow (typically 40+ events) (Expended passing rules apply)
- Red: Instructors Only (expanded passing rules apply)
- Your preferred car number will be requested in the car info section of the registration form in your account profile. If there are repeat numbers within a run group, we'll give priority to regular FSR instructors and drivers and then based on registration date and assign alternate numbers as appropriate. Number assignments can be a particularly painful evolution, so please ensure your selection and alternate choices are correct. Popular numbers are those that are easy to create using tape, so 1, 7, 0 and any combination of these are too popular and will guarantee conflicts, so pick something more unusual if you want to get it every time.
- All cars must have numbers at least 8 inches high on each side of the car in a bright, easy to read contrasting color. Shoe polish on windows, although a less preferred method, is permitted, but the color must be bright and visible by the corner workers. Blue painters tape is acceptable, but must be visible (light green painters tape is also available for darker cars) and you must check regularly that it stays adhered to your car as it is prone to blowing off. Full event participants must provide their own numbers. Numbers will only be available for "Intro to HPDE" students if requested.
- All participants (instructors included) must have a tech inspection completed prior to the event (within 30 days of the event) and bring their completed tech form with them to the track. The inspection must be performed by a qualified mechanic (i.e. a professional) or club tech inspector and the form filled out, signed and stamped by the mechanic/inspector (if they have a stamp). The form will be turned in at track tech. The tech form and specifics about how tech is conducted at the track for each run group is in the event info pack, available with all other docs and forms at the FSR website link below. FSR Tech Form(2019).pdf
- Convertibles must have a roll bar or hoop extenders and pass the "broomstick" test. For late model Porsche 911s (i.e. 996/997), a factory hardtop obviates the need for a traditional roll bar. VIR rules prohibit pop-up type roll bars found in newer 911 Cabs and similarly equipped cars. Roll bars and hoops must have coverage for both drivers and instructors. Roadsters with a single hoop behind the driver are not allowed except for solo drivers.
- All participants, staff, and guests must sign the event insurance waiver at track registration. Everyone will also be required to sign VIR’s waiver at the main entrance when they arrive and then again with the PCA registrar. Nobody should be in the Paddock without a wristband on (family, friends, crew, volunteers, spectators must all register and obtain a wristband.
- Camping and paddock power can be arranged through VIR. Please contact them directly for info. The Event Information Packet will have lodging information.
- Please bring your own copies of the required forms - which are listed in the event info pack located on the PCA FSR website . The sample event schedule is available here:
- Oct-19 VIR Schedule: Oct-19-VIRSchedule_V2-1.pdf
- Email updates will be provided to all registered participants when final run group and car numbers are assigned or new documents are posted online, i.e. the event schedule and instructor assignments. If you have an issue with your group assignment, please contact the Registrar immediately after receiving your assignment.
- The Event Information Pack, PCAFSR_VIRfullHPDE(V3).pdf a pdf document which includes event specifics and all required forms, can be found in the Documents section of the PCA FSR website, a track map and DE Student Tips. Other event documents, such as the final schedule and instructor/student assignments, will also be posted there as they are published. Once you register for the event, you will receive "heads up" emails as these new documents are posted.
Instructors: If you've instructed with FSR since 2008, you should have the “Instructor Entry” option available to register on the online registration form. If this option is not available and you have instructed with us in the past, please email the DE Registrar BEFORE YOU REGISTER so that we can add you to our instructor list. If you have never instructed with FSR, please provide your credentials/references via email to the DE Registrar or Chief Track Instructor BEFORE YOU REGISTER. We will then add you to our list and the instructor option will become available to you online. In either case, you must have FSR on your list of clubs in your Motorsportreg.com profile for the registrar to add you as an instructor.
Payment for this event is upon registration.
Cancelation/Refund Policy: Credit Cards are billed approximately two weeks prior to the event.
No refunds will be issued within 2 weeks of the event start date. A Motorsportreg.com CREDIT will be issued, allowing you to use the credit to register for a future DE (up to one year).
CREDIT requests must be made in writing or through the motorsportreg.com cancelation button on the MY EVENTS page. No-shows will NOT receive a credit. If there are extenuating circumstances, please contact the DE Registrar.
If you have any questions or are not sure how to proceed, please email the DE Registrar and we'll steer you in the right direction. Thanks for your cooperation.