About this event
FIFTH ANNUAL COATESVILLE INVITATIONAL VINTAGE GRAND PRIX
After taking 2020 off due to the pandemic, the popular Coatesville Invitational Vintage Grand Prix will return to the streets of Coatesville, PA for a timed exhibition of speed featuring vintage race cars and motorcycles.
Cars will be grouped by type, and will run timed lapping sessions by class with a staggered start. Motorcycles will run in a single group. This is not wheel-to-wheel racing; however, lap times will be provided after each session. Controlled passing will be permitted in specific track areas. The intent is to demonstrate the driving and speed of these historic vehicles to the spectating public. Vehicle classes:
- Group 1: 1900 to 1950 - Open wheel race cars
- Group 2: 1930 to 1975 - 4-cylinder race cars
- Group 3: 1930 to 1975 - 6-cylinder race cars
- Group 4: 1930 to 1975 - 8 and 12 cylinder race cars
- Group 5: 1930 to 1975 - racing motorcycles (all)
Drivers who have previously participated in this event will be invited to return. However, new for 2021, we are opening the event to anyone with a vintage race car or motorcycle meeting the VGP criteria. If you are interested in driving your historic competition vehicle in the event, please preregister here and provide details of your car or motorcycle, including a picture. Our race stewards and technical staff will review your provided information and approve your entry if it meets the spirit of the event and technical requirements (space permitting). Your credit card will not be charged until your entry is approved.
- Drivers must be at least 18 years old and have a valid driver’s license.
- Approved helmet is required. Helmets must be Snell 2010 or newer - SA rated for cars and SA or M rated for motorcycles. DOT motorcycle helmets, "pea-pot", "peanut shell", "shorty", or other noncompliant helmets are not acceptable.
- Loaner helmets will not be available due to COVID-19 precautions.
- Eye protection is required. Drivers using open-faced helmets must use goggles or impact resistant face shields. Glasses alone are not sufficient.
- A fire retardant balaclava is highly recommended, especially for drivers with beards / mustaches or using open-faced helmets.
- It is strongly recommended that all drivers wear a fire retardant driver’s suit. Fire retardant underwear is suggested, but not required. All clothing must be made of fire-resistant material.
- Driving shoes with uppers made of leather or nonflammable materials are strongly suggested. No sneakers or street shoes are allowed. Socks made of fire-resistant material are required.
- Gloves made of leather and/or fire retardant material and without any holes are required.
- Vehicles must pass a safety and technical inspection.
- No loose or unsecured items in any area.
- Roll bar / cage for open cars is strongly recommended, but not required.
- Roll bar / cage for cars with an integrated structural hard top is encouraged, but not required.
- Fire extinguisher - 2.5 lb or greater fire extinguisher with a charge gauge is required, and must be securely mounted in the driver’s compartment within reach of the driver.
- Seatbelts / harnesses are required, except for period-correct Group 1 open wheeled cars. A minimum of a lap belt is required, although a three (3) point seat belt is much preferred for safety reasons. It is highly recommended to use a multi-point racing harness in cars with a roll bar / cage fitted.
- Seatbelt / harness must be mounted correctly and in good condition, without tears or excessive wear.
- Fire extinguisher - 2.5 lb or greater fire extinguisher with a charge gauge is required, and must be securely mounted in the driver’s compartment within reach of the driver. On-board fire suppression system will be acceptable in lieu of portable extinguisher.
- A power cut off switch is required, with its location clearly marked.
- Motorcycles are exempt from the above vehicle safety requirements, but must pass technical inspection.
- No car or motorcycle will be allowed to participate if there are any visible fluid leaks, damaged bodywork, or other items deemed unsafe by the Chief Scrutineer.
- All competing cars and motorcycles must be fitted with tires of an appropriate size, in good condition, with no cuts, sidewall cracks, or exposed cords.
- Vehicles found non-compliant will be asked to correct the issue before the event starts. If the issue cannot be fixed, the vehicle will not be allowed to compete in the event and the entrant will lose their entry fee.
- The decision of the Chief Scrutineer is final and cannot be appealed. Please come properly prepared to avoid any issues. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- All entrants, crew, marshals / course workers, and guests must sign a release and waiver of liability. Parent / guardian signatures are required for those under 18.
- Driver registration includes lanyard / wristband for 1 additional crew member.
- We reserve the right to modify / interpret these rules to suit the spirit of the event and to promote safety. If you have any questions, please contact the event administrator. Thank you.