About this event
The Rocky Mountain Chapter BMW CCA is thrilled to present our Fall Performance Driving School: "Blinkers Not Required". This school provides a unique opportunity for you to drive your car at speed and to experience the thrill of becoming one with your car. The school is open to all current BMW CCA members 18 and over with a valid driver’s license.
This High Performance Driving School will give you the opportunity to drive your car at speed and to experience the potential of the unique combination of car and driver. It is safe, demanding, and most importantly FUN! All students will alternate between classroom sessions and time on the track with an instructor. The individualized instruction is a key to this program that has been developed over decades, and compares very favorably with commercial schools costing many times more. Our experienced instructors have come from racing, autocrossing, and BMW CCA driving schools.
Our Driving School Manual, Tech Inspection form, and the event schedule are available at https://rmcbmwcca.org/hpde/driving-schools/.
The Fall School will be a 2-day event at High Plains Raceway.
We will run the Full Course on Saturday, and the North Course on Sunday, see https://www.highplainsraceway.com/track-info/ for maps.
Driving Events Policy Update
The following policy has been adopted by the BMW CCA National Board of Directors regarding ALL driving events/programs: https://www.bmwcca.org/policiesandprocedures/covid-policy
RMC BMW CCA has adopted the following policies for this event based on local, state, federal, and BMW National's guidelines:
- Face masks/coverings are not required, and may be worn at the discretion of the individual
- COVID-19 vaccination is not required to attend this event
- This event will ONLY offer in-car instruction (no lead-follow)
- Classroom instruction will be in-person at the event
Helmet rental is back with brand new SA2020 helmets from Wine Country Motorsports!!!
Volunteers (non-instructors): We are looking for people to help out with grid, check-in, and other duties. If you're interested, sign up using the form below.
Volunteers (non-instructors) will receive a free lunch. This is a full-day position (often 8+ hours), so do not sign up as a Student or Instructor if you decide to Volunteer on that day.
This is a 2-day school. You may sign up for Saturday, Sunday, or both days.
|Event||One Day||Both Days|
|Driving School - Per Driver||$265||$425|
|Late-Registration Fee (after August 19th)||$100||$200|
First Time Student Referral Incentive
Students: If you refer a first-time Driving School Student to this school, your name will be entered into a drawing on Saturday night for the chance to win an entry for a 1-day RMC BMW Driving School event of your choice in the future.
Instructors: If you refer a first-time Driving School Student to this school, your name will be entered into a drawing on Saturday night for the chance to win an entry for a 2-day RMC BMW Time Trials event of your choice in the future.
The fine print:
- Your referral must be a Driving School Student that is attending an RMC BMW CCA Driving School for the very first time
- Both you and your referral must attend this event (but you do not need to be present on Saturday night to win)
- If you win, your free entry must be used in 2022 or 2023.
- You MUST email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the name of your first time student referral in order to be entered for the drawing; there is no other way to enter this drawing
- Each unique first time student is worth one entry in the drawing
- Unlimited referrals per person
- The Driving School Chair, Matt Johnson, reserves the right to verify all referrals and is the sole and final arbiter of these rules
The schedule is posted HERE. Please print your own copy!
A track map is available HERE (courtesy of SpeedSecrets.com). Please print your own copy!
Student Run Groups
Students are assigned to one of four Run Groups (A, B, C or D) commensurate with their experience. D is for beginners, and A is the most advanced run group. The groupings are based on relative pace and are intended to minimize the speed disparity within each group. Therefore, a student may be assigned to one group higher or lower than they were at a previous school. Look for your run group when you get your schedule to see when and where you need to be during the day.
A-Solo Run Group
Experienced A-group drivers have the option to drive in A-Solo Run Group with the approval of the Chief Instructor. Please contact the Chief Instructor at email@example.com for approval before registering.
Open Lapping Friday
High Plains Raceway will be holding an open lapping day the Friday before the school. We encourage experienced drivers to come out and refamiliarize yourself with the track.
You can register through HPR's event on motorsportreg.com.
Accommodations Near The Track
UPDATE JULY 25: The Comfort Inn & Suites in Bennett, CO is NOW OPEN, and Christine Foley has secured us a group rate via the following website:
There is one hotel in Byers, approximately 20 minutes to High Plains Raceway.
Budget Host Longhorn Motel. Call 303-822-5205 for pricing and make sure you mention that you are with the BMW Club.
You can also camp at the track on Friday and Saturday night free of charge. HPR has showers and flush toilets.
If you want more upscale accommodations, finding a hotel near DIA or Limon is your best bet. It is a 45-minute drive from HPR to DIA.
Volunteers are not required to be a BMW CCA member, but we do need you to sign up!
Students must be a BMW CCA member to register. To join, go to www.bmwcca.org, then come back and register for this event.
Before you register, please read the Driving School Manual and How to Prepare for the Event. You are responsible for understanding and complying with the information in this guide.
Car Number Guidelines
All drivers are responsible for providing and placing their assigned number and run group letter on their cars.
- Numbers must be at least 8″ tall, with a 1″ stroke (thickness)
- Run group letters must be at least 4″ tall
- Run group letters are defined as AS (A-Solo), A, B, C, D, and i
- (Instructors, please note the lowercase “i”)
- Numbers and letters must have sufficient contrast to car color to be easily legible to corner workers when the car is at speed (ie. no blue on blue)
- Numbers and letters must be placed on BOTH sides of the car
- The ordering will be: number letter, ie. "34 C"
You will be prompted to enter your car number when you register. This number will be assigned to you for this school. Numbers are assigned first-come, first served. In the event of a conflict, the second driver will be asked to modify their number to something unique in their run group.
You may choose to purchase magnetic or vinyl numbers, or you can make your own with masking tape, or print them. As long as the numbers and letters meet the guidelines above, you’re good to go.
Our school is filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Don't wait until the last minute to register, as your chance of being wait-listed increases the closer we get to the date of the event!
If you are wait-listed, please continue your preparations (for example, tech inspection) as if you were registered for the school. We often have last-minute cancellations, so there is a good chance that you will get in.
Most makes and models of vehicles are allowed at RMC BMW CCA Driving Schools: you do not have to have a BMW!
However, for trucks, SUVs, and convertibles please read our FAQ (https://rmcbmwcca.org/hpde/driving-schools/frequently-asked-questions/) and Driving School Manual (https://rmcbmwcca.org/hpde/driving-schools/#driving-school-manual) which cover this topic in greater detail.
This event's registration will close at 23:59 on August 23rd. After this time, you are welcome to contact us for opportunities to volunteer, but we will not accept Student registrations after this date.
- Cancellations must be done by emailing the Driving School Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Cancellations received on or after August 19th will be charged a fee of $50 per person, per school day, if we cannot fill your slot with a person from the waitlist.
- No refunds will be given after August 29th.
Please contact Registrar Leslie Jenkins at email@example.com with any registration questions.
Please contact Chief Instructors Andrew Colfelt and Friso Schlottau at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about run group assignments, instructor requests, and other student-related questions.
For all other questions, please contact Driving School Chair, Matt Johnson at email@example.com.