About this event
What is it?
- It's a chance to drive your own car on a race track in a safe, fun, and supportive learning environment.
- It's a chance to learn more about yourself and your car, and to improve your driving skills.
- It's a chance to meet and socialize with a diverse group of friendly individuals who embrace performance driving and really enjoy Audi automobiles.
Driving your own car on a race track, away from side streets and other distractions, is not only great fun, it is the safest and most effective way to explore the capabilities of your car, while improving your driving skills at the same time.
Once you've experienced driving your own car on a race track you will know what the excitement is all about, and you will wonder why you waited so long to JUST DO IT!
Why Audi Club SoCal?
The best venues! This track is one of the safest and most fun tracks in the Southwest. If it is your first or tenth time to an Audi driving event you will have a blast.
Drive your OWN car! During all driving exercises, you will drive your own car. Club instructors will assist you in improving your driving skills, ensuring you get the most out of the experience, all in a safe learning environment.
Don’t have an Audi (yet)? No Problem! All makes and models of coupes and sedans are welcome at Audi Club SoCal driving schools.
We train you! At Audi Club SoCal, we don't just "drop you into the deep end"! Beginners and Novice drivers will spend the morning of the first day learning vehicle dynamics and practicing car control with a combination of classroom and driving skills exercises. After lunch, you will join the more experienced drivers on the track for the remainder of the weekend. Whatever your level of experience, you will benefit from technical sessions tailored to your skill level and discussion sessions with your peers. In-car instruction and classroom sessions are free with every registration.
Safety First! Run groups are established to allow students to be on track with other drivers of similar experience. Beginning students will always have an instructor in the car during on-track driving sessions. This is not a race, so passing is allowed only on designated sections of the course and under controlled conditions. Drivers with documented experience will be placed in a run group appropriate for their demonstrated skill level and their car's capabilities. In-car instruction and coaching is provided at ever level of driver experience.
Registration Fees: The student registration fee of only $545* represents an incredible bargain! The fee includes everything necessary for two days of fun with your car, including
- Car control exercises for novices
- On-track instruction, with a trained instructor in your right seat available for every driver
- Advanced online learning - free for first-timers and discounted for experienced drivers
- Driving theory classroom sessions at the track for all levels
- A souvenir event shirt
- Light supper at Friday evening registration
- Lunch at the track both days
- An enjoyable Saturday night banquet dinner with great raffle prizes and an automotive goodies auction. This year's feature auction item is an all-inclusive overnight stay at Inde Motorsport Ranch, an exclusive private motorsports club in Arizona.
- NEW! Convertibles - Audi Club North America now allows you to drive many models of convertible cars at our driving school!
- NEW! SUV/CUV - Audi Club North America now allows you to drive a few models of small SUV/CUV cars at our driving school, such as, Q3, Q5, and SQ5.
- NEW! Wet Skid Pad for ALL drivers on Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning, and Sunday afternoon!
- NEW! Friday Experienced Driver Day - Optional Audi Club SoCal exclusive day on the full course #13 CCW – that's in reverse! Includes lunch and plenty of open track time. There will be no formal instruction available, so Friday is for experienced drivers only. An additional registration fee applies.
Who are we?
The Audi Club of North America (ACNA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit educational organization providing its members with driver safety training and education about the Audi brand. Audi Club SoCal is the Southern California Chapter of ACNA, serving our members in Southern California and Southern Nevada. To support ACNA's educational purpose, Audi Club SoCal offers a range of events throughout the year including technical seminars, social events, driving tours, as well as High Performance Driving Education schools. Our driving schools are open to all ACNA members driving any make and model of coupe or sedan. Audi Club SoCal is sponsored by Audi dealerships and specialty automotive businesses throughout our geographic region, many of whom offer attractive discounts to club members.
When you join ACNA you will automatically become a member of the Southern California chapter if you live in our geographic region of Southern California, Southern Nevada, and Hawaii. ACNA members receive a glossy national magazine, the "quattro Quarterly", discounts on new Audis, deals from ACNA sponsors, and emails from our local chapter informing you about events happening throughout the year. Audi ownership is not required for ACNA membership.
Still have Questions? You may contact the organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get all the details
This High-Performance Driver School is a safe, exciting, fun, and educational two days spent with friendly people at a terrific race track. You will learn about your car and its capabilities in a safe, controlled environment. When you have completed this school, your improved driving skills will enhance your daily driving experience. You will learn from and with other Audi owners and club members, forge new friendships, and make lasting memories.
Click the Continue button below to view event details and requirements. (If you are new to MotorsportReg.com, you will be asked to create a free account.)
This is not a race or even a racing school, but rather an event where the primary focus is SAFETY, FUN, and LEARNING. You will improve your own personal performance behind the wheel.
You will be learning and practicing the art and principles of precision driving in a fun, relaxed, and organized school setting. The event is conducted at a race track under close supervision by experienced and trained Audi Club instructors. You will learn techniques for handling and controlling your own vehicle. This training is designed so you may safely explore your capabilities as a driver and those of your vehicle. It will help prepare you for emergencies that may occur in normal driving situations.
At no time will you be pushed or encouraged to go any faster than is comfortable for you. All participants will be provided with instruction and organized into run groups according to prior experience, demonstrated skill, and type of vehicle. This is for your safety and will enhance your learning by providing an opportunity to share the day's experience with your peers.
Have you been to Buttonwillow with us before? Here's What's New!
- The Tent for ALL social activities! - If you joined us at Buttonwillow last year you know the club’s big-top tent at the track was a big hit. We’re bringing it back this year for ALL non-driving activities, including Friday night’s check-in and mandatory meetings.
- Inde Overnight Experience - This year's featured auction item is an overnight experience for up to two couples at Inde Motorsport Ranch, an exclusive private motorsports club in Arizona.. Your experience includes luxury lodging in a two bedroom casita, gourmet meals at the track, on-track instruction by the club's driving pro, and use of the club's sports car.
- Convertibles!!!! - Recent policy changes by Audi Club North America now allow us to accept many models of convertible cars at our driving schools. Details below.
- SUV/CUV- Audi Club North America now allows you to drive a few models of small SUV/CUV cars at our driving school (i.e., Q3, Q5, SQ5). We limit these cars to the Beginner and Novice groups. Details below.
- Skid Pad for All Drivers – Both Days! - The wet skid pad will be open for all drivers on Saturday afternoon and on Sunday morning and afternoon. All drivers have time between sessions to take some turns on the wet Figure-8 course. This exercise is a great way to practice car control at slow speed in a safe environment. You will reinforce your vision skills, discover how your car handles at the limit, and practice recovery techniques. It's a lot of fun!
- No designated Host hotel – Since all activities will be held at the track, there will NOT be a designated host hotel this year. You may choose freely from various area lodging alternatives, many of which will offer an Audi Club rate. You may also camp at the track.
- Friday Experienced Drivers Day - Our previous Friday Experienced Driver Days have been very popular. Last year we partnered with HOD on Friday - this year Audi Club SoCal is taking over the entire day. We will run course #13 (Sweeper) CCW - this is the reverse direction! There is no formal instruction on Friday, so Friday is limited to our experienced drivers -- beginners and novices will join us for Saturday and Sunday.
Friday, November 17, 2017
At the track
7:00 AM Gate Opens
7:15 AM Experienced Driver Day Check-In (Tower Café)
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM Experienced Driver Day #13 course (Sweeper) CCW
At the track (in the Audi tent)
4:00 PM Driving School Check-In begins
5:00 PM Light Supper served courtesy of the Club
7:00 PM Mandatory Instructor & First-Timer Meetings
8:00 PM Mandatory All-Drivers Meeting & Meet your Instructor
Gate open and attended 24 hours
Saturday, November 18, 2017
At the track
High Performance Driver School - Day One
Gate open and attended 24 hours
7:15 AM Mandatory Driver Briefing (Audi Tent)
8:00 AM Lapping Begins #1 course (Star Mazda) CW
5:00 PM Lapping Ends - Social Hour in the tent at the track
6:00 PM Banquet Dinner in the tent at the track
Gate open and attended 24 hours
Sunday, November 19, 2017
At the track
High Performance Driver School - Day Two
Gate open and attended 24 hours
7:30 AM Mandatory Driver Briefing (Audi Tent)
8:00 AM Lapping Begins #1 course (Star Mazda) CW
5:00 PM Lapping Ends
6:00 PM Gate Closes
Note: This event is a two-day school, not two one-day schools. The above schedule is preliminary. More details will be available closer to the event, and a detailed event schedule will be provided at check-in on Friday evening.
The student registration fee for this SoCal Audi Club High Performance Driver School is $545*. Your registration fee includes everything necessary for two days of learning more about yourself and your car including study materials, driving theory classroom, car control exercises for novices, on-track instruction both days with a trained instructor in your right seat, event shirt, a light supper at Friday evening check-in, Saturday & Sunday lunch, and the Saturday night banquet Dinner, featuring raffle prizes and auction items.
If this is your first time driving a car at a race track, SoCal Audi Club includes valuable FREE bonuses including a complimentary professional driving theory eCourse (required) and a complimentary helmet rental, a $120 value.
Our experienced and trained Audi Club instructors volunteer their time and expertise to teach at our driving school. Pre-approved instructors qualify for a discounted registration fee of $245.
The registration fee for the optional Experienced Driver Day on Friday is $240 for all qualified drivers and instructors. Includes lunch and plenty of open track time.
Late registration within two weeks of the event is discouraged and will be subject to an additional $75 fee.
Track Buttonwillow Raceway Park is a safe and fun road course located at 24551 Lerdo Hwy, Buttonwillow, CA 93206, (661) 764-5333.
Banquet ALL activities will be held at the track, including the Saturday evening banquet. Saturday evening's Raffle and Auction will feature many cool items from our sponsors, including Audi Collection USA swag, Audi Club Golden Gate event certificates, 034 Motorsports performance products, Hooked on Driving event certificates, Mothers car care products, Motive brake bleeding tools, WMS Automotive parts and labor certificates, and Protective Film Solutions clear-bra care products, and more.
Hotels There is not a designated headquarters hotel for this event. You may choose from many area lodging options, including:
If you would like to stay close to the track there are basic two-star highway motels located twelve miles from the track, on Tracy Avenue at the Buttonwillow exit from I-5.
- Motel 6 Central [Google rated 3.4] - Call (661) 764-5121 and mention Audi Club to snag one of the 65 first-come / first-served rooms available at the nightly Audi Club rate of $46+tax.
Other motels located at the Buttonwillow exit are:
- Motel 6 (North) [rated 3.4] - (661) 764-5153
- Super 8 Motel [rated 3.1] - (661) 764-5117
- Rodeway Inn [rated 2.7] - (661) 764-5207
If you are looking for something a little nicer, the Best Western Plus Wasco Inn & Suites. Located at 1704 Hwy 46 in the town of Wasco, the Best Western is about 21 miles from the track (an approximately 25-minute drive). We've headquartered at this nice three-star hotel in prior years; it has a 4.2 review rating on Google. Call the hotel directly at (661) 758-1111 to make a reservation and mention you are with the Audi Club. The nightly Audi Club rate is $112.49+tax. There are only 20 rooms available at this rate.
While there are other similarly-nice chain hotels located in Delano and in North Bakersfield, they are about twice as far from the track as Wasco.
Camping: Camping is available at the track. Audi Club SoCal has arranged for a 24-hour gate guard from 7:00 AM on Friday until 6:00 PM on Sunday. There is no charge for “dry” camping in the paddock. RV spaces with hookups may be rented by calling the track administration office at (661) 764-5333. There are many RV rental sources in the LA area if you would like to explore this option. You can rent a trailer and tow your car to the track behind your motorhome!
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast." — Leonardo da Vinci
An Audi Club SoCal driving school is much more than just a track day. We provide you with a balanced learning environment utilizing modern eLearning, classroom, and on-track instruction.
This is a high-performance driver safety education school - it is not practice for any racing or speed contest. All participants will attend classroom sessions designed to teach vehicle dynamics and driving techniques. Classroom and driving time will be balanced to give drivers a better understanding of the principals and application of precision driving.
Car Control Exercises
Car control exercises are provided on Saturday morning for our beginning drivers so you can practice the principles you've learned in a safe environment before going on the track with your personal instructor later in the day.
Wet Skid Pad
New! The wet skid pad will be open on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning and afternoon. All registered drivers may visit the skid pad at their convenience to practice Vision, Car Control, and Recovery Techniques in a safe low-speed environment.
Speed Secrets Performance Driving 101 online course
Audi Club SoCal is pleased to partner with respected driving coach Ross Bentley of Speed Secrets fame. Ross offers SoCal Audi Club drivers a generous 50% discount on a lifetime subscription to his incredible Speed Secrets Performance Driving 101 and advanced Inner Speed Secrets 201 eCourses.
Is this your very First Time driving on a race track? SoCal Audi Club wants you to exceed your own expectations, so the Speed Secrets Performance Driving 101 eCourse is required and will be provided FREE to all first-time beginners!
Learn (or refresh your understanding of) the principles of performance driving at your own pace before you arrive. You will learn in easy to digest modules on Vision, Controls (steering, braking, accelerator), Shifting, Vehicle Dynamics, and Cornering. Completion of the online eCourse is highly recommended – doing so will allow you to make the best use of your valuable time at the track. To learn more visit learn.speedsecrets.com. The Audi Club SoCal discount code will be provided in the confirmation you receive after you register for this event.
Celebrity Guest Instructor
BEFORE REGISTERING, please review these event requirements:
Brief Summary of Driver Requirements
- Drivers must possess a valid driver's license issued by their state of residence.
- Drivers must provide and wear an approved helmet, a long-sleeve shirt, long pants and practical closed-toe shoes while engaged in the car control exercises and on-track driving sessions. Clothing should be made of natural or flame-retardant fibers.
Current membership in the Audi Club of North America (ACNA) is required.
- Audi ownership is not required for ACNA membership. ACNA member benefits include a quarterly glossy magazine, the "quattro Quarterly", preferred pricing on new Audi automobiles, and discounts from club sponsors. Join now or renew your ACNA membership at: audiclubna.org/membership. ACNA dues are in addition to the event registration fee.
Brief Summary of Vehicle Requirements
- All makes and models of coupes and sedans are welcome.
- Your car must be in excellent mechanical condition.
- ALL cars are required to undergo and pass a safety check prior to arriving at the event.
- Equal safety restraints (seat belts, air bags, seats, etc.) are required for driver and the instructor passenger.
- Use of competition tires is not permitted for SUVs or beginning and novice drivers, and is discouraged for intermediate drivers.
- Open cars and convertibles are allowed if equipped with approved OEM roll over protection or an approved aftermarket 4-point (or greater) roll bar. Inquire about approved models, or see the list on our website.
- Certain performance-oriented sports utility vehicles are now permitted with some restrictions, and only in the beginner and novice groups. In general, high center of gravity vehicles are not appropriate for this high speed driving school. No competition tires.
Brief Summary of Helmet Requirements at ACNA Events
Participants must wear helmets bearing Snell SA2005 (or later), Snell M2005 or M2010 certification. This certification label must be accessible for verification for the helmet to be allowed. Snell M-helmets (motorcycle) are only permitted in cars without supplemental roll-over protection (roll bars). DOT-rated helmets are not allowed. Note: Audi Club has recently extended Snell 2005 helmet eligibility to the end of 2017, but these helmets will not be accepted after the end of this year. M2010 helmets are the last generation of motorcycle helmets which will be accepted. Bottom line: Don’t purchase a SA2005, or any motorcycle helmet, and expect to get much use from it at track events!
The above is only a summary. For complete Requirements, including the required Forms, ALL DRIVERS must download and review the Audi Club SoCal HPDE Event Detailed Requirements available at www.audiclubsocal.org/page/drivingschool.
For future reference, this information page will continue to be available from your MotorsportReg.com Dashboard at https://msreg.com/AudiBW17.
Friday Experienced Driver Day NEW! We will be lapping the full course on Friday! Open to all Audi Club instructors, and student drivers who have previously been approved to drive solo at an Audi Club driving school. If you believe your experience at other clubs might qualify you, please see the Experienced Driver section, below.
Passing Protocol Passing in all run groups will be by Point-by on either side. Passing will only occur in designated passing zones. The car being passed is expected to drive their normal line, therefore the passing car should plan on driving off-line to complete the pass. Off-Line is usually the side of the track that is the direction of the next corner. Passing zones will be designated with a green cone at the start of the passing zone and a yellow cone at the end of the passing zone. All passes must be complete before the end of the passing zone (the start of the braking zone). No late passing into the corners ("dive bombing"). There will be a minimum of four designated passing Zones for all Run Groups.
First-Timer? If this is your first time at an Audi Club driving school, please read our First-Timers Introduction and Preparation article.
Experienced Driver? Are you an experienced driver but registering with SoCal Audi Club for the first time? Please make sure your driving history in your MotorsportReg.com Profile is up to date. This will help us place you in an appropriate group. Do you have questions about your qualifications? Please contact Alex Whitney, our Chief Instructor, at email@example.com
Garages Buttonwillow Raceway Park has enclosed day garages available for weekend rental. Garages include lighting, power, and compressed air. There are eight private garages and eight semi-private garages. Each garage will accommodate two cars; you are encouraged to make your own arrangements with fellow participants to share a garage. To rent a garage please call the track at (661) 764-5333. The cost is $200 per two-car garage for the entire weekend.
HPDE Insurance Does my regular insurance policy cover me at this event? This article tells you how to find out: A guide to your personal auto policy. If you find your regular policy excludes coverage, you may purchase special HPDE insurance for your car while participating in this joint Audi Club / HOD driving school. Both Hooked on Driving and Audi Club have exemplary safety records which qualify our drivers for a nice discount. Visit the Audi Club page on LocktonMotorsports.com for details. Find this event by searching on the date and track to purchase your policy online.
Still have Questions? Contact the event master, Bill Vogel firstname.lastname@example.org (909) 938-2065 mobile