About this event
ARPCA announces its fall Drivers Education at Mid-Ohio!
The Allegheny Region of the Porsche Club of America will host a Driver’s Education Event at the Mid-Ohio Race Track on Saturday and Sunday, Sep 12 and 13, 2015.
A PCA driver’s education event is a great opportunity to learn more about your car and enhance your driving skills. Our club has a long history in making sure that first timers feel especially welcome!
A Drivers Education event provides an opportunity for an amateur driver to experience one of the nations most technical tracks in a non-competitive atmosphere.
The event is not only open to Porsche sports cars, but other makes of suitable track worthy cars.
Garages are available for rent. They are very popular and always sell out.
There will be a lapping day for our Instructors and pre-approved drivers on Friday, Sept 11th. If you desire lapping day, update your logbook on MSR and state your preference on the registration form, or contact the organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org
- HELMET - 2005 or later SNELL rating required (sticker must be attached - look inside helmet). SNELL “SA” recommended. A helmet with only a DOT rating is NOT acceptable. (Note: new requirement; 2000-rated helmets NOT ACCEPTABLE!) This will be our last event to allow SA2005 helmets.
- Seatbelts - As a minimum the vehicle shall have the OEM restraints, five (5) or six (6) point driving harnesses, however four point harnesses are not allowed with the exception of the Schroth DOT approved 4 point harness, the harnesses must include an antisubmarine strap and be mounted in an approved manner consistent with the manufacturer’s instructions. The Harness System must be used in conjunction with a seat, which has the supplied routing holes for the shoulder and anti-submarine belts. The use of H-style shoulder belts is no longer allowed by PCA. Equal quality restraints are required for driver & passenger seats.
- Seating requirements - ALL participant vehicles must have TWO seats with equal restraints for the driver and the passenger. This applies to ALL run groups, including instructors. If you do not have a car that qualifies under this rule, please don't apply. If you show up without a second seat or without equal restraints, your car will fail tech inspection and you will not be allowed on the track. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS and NO REFUNDS.
- Roll bar - Open air vehicles or convertibles operating with the top in the down position must have OEM, operational, roll over protection OR properly installed roll bars that meet the broomstick rule, i.e., must be taller than driver & also provide protection for passenger. Arm restraints are required for driver and passenger for any open vehicle operation.
- Sunroofs - must be fully closed on track. Convertible tops must be up, unless cleared through “Roll-Bar” rule and the driver uses restraints.
- Brake Pads - Minimum 50% brake pad lining.
- Tires - minimum - 5/32" tire tread depth for street tires. If you are running some form of a track or race tire (Kumo, Hoosier, etc.) be prepared to show your tires to the safety chair for approval.
- Clothing – minimum requirement - long sleeve 100% cotton shirt, long 100% cotton pants, leather or canvas shoes.
- Age - Drivers must be 18 years or older with valid driver's license.
- Co-Driver - No more than one novice driver per vehicle.
- Noise - No open exhausts - (100dB limit)
- Car Safety – the driver of the vehicle is responsible for the preparation and proper operation of their vehicle. All registered drivers will receive a link to ARPCA’s Safety Inspection Form, which is to be completed, signed, and brought to the track. All vehicles will be required to pass a safety inspection at the track. Failure of this inspection will not result in a refund of your registration fee. You will be allowed to remedy any problems and resubmit your vehicle for approval.
- Instructor’s safety trump driver’s preference – Instructors assigned to a student’s car have the final say on safety, in-car filming, top positions, erratic driving, unsafe acts, etc. The event management will side with the instructor.
- Cars that are not permitted: All open wheeled cars are prohibited. All cars with fenders attached to the wheels which are not attached to the body in two locations like a Lotus 7 or Caterham are prohibited. All cars requiring methanol based fuels are prohibited. Should there be any question about the suitability and safety of a vehicle, the final determination will be made by the event staff and Safety Chair. Contact track@ARPCA.com
Providing your Driving Resume
Please make sure your driving resume is up to date in Motorsport Reg. A suggested structure is below:
Please make sure that your logbook of experience in your member profile is up to date. We will use this information to evaluate your ability and to correctly place you into your run group.
There will be a Lapping Day on Friday 11th of September before the formal DE. Students who qualify for the lapping day are not given an Instructor so therefore a demonstrated high level of experience is required to qualify. If you are interested in our Lapping Days you are required to participate in the weekend event as well.
Current ARPCA Instructors who want to attend will be automatically accepted. If you have attended an ARPCA Lapping Day event before at this track, you will also automatically have the option to register directly on MSR.
All others, indicate your interest in attending the lapping day. Please make sure that your logbook of experience in your member profile is up to date. We will use this to evaluate your ability to qualify. We may also ask for a recommendation from the Chief Instructor of your Region, so include your region’s CI information as well. Lapping Days are operated as open track days and we are very careful to only have qualified participants at these events. This precaution is done to insure the SAFETY of all who attend.
Costs and Options:
- Driver Registration Cost: $395
- Instructor Registration Cost: $75
- Lapping Day Cost: $190
- Garage Rental: $100 (for 1 bay of the 2 bay garage)
You will be asked for a credit card when you register. We will charge your credit card after your registration has been reviewed and approved by the event chairs in August.
You may adjust your registration on-line. Any additional charges will be reviewed and charged as appropriate to your credit card. If refunds are appropriate (eg. for canceling within cancelation policy) we will credit your credit card. Any refunds will be subject to the standard cancellation policy outlined in the cancellation section for this event.
Our Refund policy is:
All cancellations before July 31 will be without cost.
All cancellations after July 31 and before August 15th will incur a $50 cancellation fee.
No refunds will be issued after this date unless we can fill your reservation from our waiting list. If we do fill your reservation we will issue a refund credit within 30 days of the completion of the event less the $50 cancellation fee. Under no circumstances will full credit be issued once the 14-day weather forecast is available. Event runs wet or dry.
Note: Under no circumstances will you receive a refund if you are a no-show or fail tech inspection.