About this event
ARPCA announces a Drivers Education event at Mid-Ohio
The Allegheny Region of the Porsche Club of America is hosting a Driver Education (DE) weekend event at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (Mid-Ohio) on Saturday and Sunday, September 9th and 10th, 2017. Mid-Ohio is located near Lexington, OH, just off of I-71 between Cleveland and Columbus. Like Watkins Glen, it has a long history of hosting many of the major road-racing series races dating back to 1962. Although limited in total elevation change the track is known to be very technical and challenging and will put any drivers' car control skills to the test. This event will sell out so be sure to register early. We would hate to see you in the wait list and be disappointed!
A PCA driver’s education event is a great opportunity to learn more about your car and enhance your driving skills. Our club has a long history in making sure that first timers feel especially welcome! PCA DE events provide an opportunity for the amateur driver to experience one of the most technical road-racing tracks in the country in a controlled, non-competitive evnironment.
Garages are available for rent. They are very popular and always sell out.
There will be an "Open Lapping" day for ARPCA-approved experienced solo drivers and instructors on Friday, September 8th. If you haven't participated with ARPCA on a lapping day and would like to, please contact Drake Core, ARPCA chief instructor at email@example.com.
If you are not currently an approved instructor for ARPCA and would like to instruct for us at Mid-Ohio, please contact Drake Core at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This information has changed for 2017
Basic Safety / Tech Information
Please review all the following as there have been changes made since last year!
- HELMET – 2010 or 2015 SNELL rating REQUIRED with SNELL sticker attached. SNELL SA standard strongly recommended but SNELL M helmets are acceptable. DOT-rated helmets are not acceptable. Please do not arrive with a SNELL 2005 helmet as you will NOT be allowed to participate!
- SEATBELTS – As a minimum the vehicle shall have the OEM restraints. If you have chosen to install 5 or 6-point harnesses, be mindful that the proper installation of these will require several changes to the automobile to create a safe occupant system. Harnesses must include an anti-submarine strap and be mounted in an approved manner consistent with the harness manufacturer instructions. A seat designed for use with harnesses will have pass-throughs for the correct routing of the harness; both through the back and seat. Equal restraint systems are required for both driver and passenger. Harnesses will be checked for expiration date compliance. Any expired harness will be granted a “one-time pass” to participate in that event but vehicle will not be allowed to be used at subsequent ARPCA events without replacement.
- SEATING REQUIREMENTS – ALL participant vehicles must have TWO seats with equal restraints for the driver and passenger. This applies to all run groups (including instructors).
- ROLL BAR – All “non-fixed-metal” roofed cars must have OEM rollover protection (e.g. 996 and later Cabriolets, Boxsters etc.) or a proper roll bar that passes the “broomstick test”. Convertibles will run with the top up or occupants will wear arm restraints.
- AGE – Drivers must be at least 18 years old and possess a valid driver’s license.
- CO-DRIVER – If two drivers will be sharing a car, only one of them may be a novice particpating in the "D" run group.
- CAR SAFETY – The driver of the vehicle is responsible for the proper preparation and operation of the vehicle. All registered drivers will receive a link to ARPCA’s Vehicle Safety Inspection form, which is to be completed by a third-party automotive repair/inspection facility, signed by them, and brought to the event. All non-instructor-driven vehicles will be required to pass tech inspection at the track. No refunds will be given for failure to pass tech inspection. You will be allowed to remedy any failed items and resubmit your vehicle for approval.
- THE OPINIONS OF THE INSTRUCTOR WITH REGARDS TO SAFETY TAKES PRECEDENCE OVER STUDENT OPINIONS – The instructor assigned to the student will have the final say with regard to the operation of the car while on the track. This encompasses both the actual driving by the student as well as operation of the car and its’ equipment (e.g. data acquisition and/or cameras and recording devices). Be advised that the Chief Instructor(s) are much more likely to take the side of the instructor than that of the student in matters that involve a difference of opinion regarding the operation of the car while on the track.
- CARS THAT ARE NOT PERMITTED – All open-wheeled cars are prohibited. Cars with fenders attached to the suspension (e.g. Lotus 7/Caterham) and not attached to the body of the car in at least two locations are prohibited.
Should there be any question about the suitability of a vehicle please contact the ARPCA Safety/Tech chairman at Safety@ARPCA.com.
Be alert for new safety and /or tech procedures in 2017! Details will be emailed to drivers closer to the event.
Tell us about your abilities.
In order to place you correctly, please make sure your driving resume is up to date in Motorsport Reg. A suggested format is below:
Please make sure that your logbook of experience in your member profile is current. We will use this information to evaluate your experience and track driving abilities so as to correctly place you into your proper run group.
There will be an open lapping day on Friday, the 4th of September before the formal DE. Drivers who qualify for the lapping day are not provided an Instructor and therefore a demonstration of a high level of track driving experience and skill is required to qualify. If you are interested in our lapping day you are required to participate in the weekend DE event as well.
All current ARPCA Instructors are automatically accepted. If you have attended an ARPCA Lapping Day event at this track previously you will also be accepted.
For all others, indicate your interest in attending the lapping day when completing the registration form. Please make sure that your logbook of experience in your member profile is up to date. We will use this to evaluate your ability to qualify. We may also ask for a recommendation from the Chief Instructor of your Region and will contact you by e-mail if we need your CI’s contact information. Lapping days are operated as open track days and we are very careful to only have qualified participants at these events. This precaution is done to insure the enjoyment but primarily the safety of those who will be sharing the track on Friday.
Costs and Options:
- Driver Registration Cost: $ 400.00
- Instructor Registration Cost: $ 100.00
- Lapping Day Cost: $ 200.00
- Garage Rental: $100 (for 1 bay of the 2 bay garage which can fit two cars nose-to-tail)
You will be asked for a credit card when you register. We will charge your credit card on or about July 24 as shown below after your registration has been reviewed and approved by the event chairs. Any changes to your registration after that date will be immediately changed to your credit card on file.
You may adjust your registration online. Any additional charges will be reviewed and charged as appropriate to your credit card. If refunds are appropriate (e.g. for changing reservations) we will provide a charge credit, as warranted. Any refunds will be subject to the standard cancellation policy shown below.
Our refund policy has changed.
Our refund policy: We do not charge your card until 45-days in advance of the event. After that date, the fee to cancel is $100.00 until 2 weeks before the event.
No refunds are provided less than fourteen (14) days in advance of the event. No refunds will be provided for any type of mechanical failure of your vehicle which reduces your track time or results in your not being able to participate at all.
- Changes can be made for free until July 24, 2017
- Your credit card is charged July 24, 2017
- One Hundred dollar ($100.00) cancel fee in effect July 24, through Aug 25, 2017
- No refunds provided after Aug 25, 2017
Note: Event occurs rain or shine unless track management closes the circuit for any reason they deem sufficient.