About this event
2022 Autocross University and Spring Autocross
Location: Colorado Air and Space Port formerly known as Front Range Airport
Dates: Saturday April 23 – Autocross University
Sunday April 24 – 2022 Spring Autocross
We are excited to offer an expanded Autocross schedule in 2022 with six events (five autocrosses) beginning with our traditional season kickoff with Autocross University followed the next day with our Spring Autocross. We encourage you to register if you are new to the club, new to your Porsche or other favorite four wheel means of transport, want to improve your driving technique or simply want to enjoy your Porsche in a safe environment. The weekend events will be held at the Colorado Air and Space Port formerly known as Front Range Airport.
We are thrilled to return to in car instruction for Autocross University. Our instructors will begin each exercise with in car instruction progressing to observing students from outside of the car. All of our instructors are excellent autocrossers, as well good communicators and enthusiastic coaches.
Are you familiar with Autocross? Autocross is a performance driving experience conducted in a safe environment at relatively low speeds (2nd gear). You will not hurt your car and more importantly you will not hurt yourself. Autocross is a lot fun and provides small doses of adrenaline rush that will keep you smiling for days. At the University you will learn important control skills from our experienced instructors. You will gain additional confidence in your driving ability, learn the limits of your car’s braking capabilities, practice correct seating, hand, feet and vision positions, as well as push and perhaps exceed the limits of your tire’s adhesion capabilities.
By the way, autocross is a huge social event and a great time to meet new club members and visit with friends.
Autocross University on Saturday
Our excellent club instructors will work with you by providing plenty of driving time through three car control exercises. Learn about car balance through a slalom course, throttle steering around two skid pads, and threshold braking and acceleration in a unique triangle exercise. All of this in the morning followed by an afternoon of learning how to autocross using these skills on a full scale autocross course.
Spring Autocross on Sunday
On Sunday, we return to the airport to run against the clock! Are you the quickest air 911, Boxster, Turbo, Macan? This event is a great chance to try out your new found skills and to compete against the clock.
- Both events are also open to licensed 16 and 17 year olds. RMR Junior Participation forms and instructions can be found under the forms tab on the club’s website. Please read them carefully.
- The Autocross School is limited to 50 participants. Please register early to assure your spot. PCA and Audi Club Members will receive preference provided they have registered by April 15. After April 15 open spots will be filled first come first served based on registration date.
- Pre-registration for both events is required as it allows us to plan for ‘beer thirty’ as well as organize the event, pre-configure timing and obtain volunteers.
- A Porsche is not required. Only SUV’s with a Porsche, Audi, Volkswagen or BMW badges are permitted and no pickups. Convertibles are just fine and you can run them with the top down.
- Restrooms are available onsite, however no concessions are available nor are any nearby. Please remember to bring your own lunch and plenty of non alcoholic drinks for use during the day.
- You will need a Snell rated 2010 or newer helmet. Motorcycle helmets with this designation are acceptable. The club has several loaner helmets available.
- New this year - we will divide autocross participants into 7 simple classes based upon car type and performance capabilities. Classing is optional, you may select TO (Time Only Class). Read below for further details before proceeding to the registration form.
Autocross School $65.00
Both Events $110.00 (a $10 discount for both days)
Directions to the Colorado Air and Space Port autocross site:
- Caution: Do not use your GPS using the airport address. GPS will take you to the main terminal and that is not the correct location.
- I-70 East to Manilla Road Exit 299
- Turn left (North) and continue to the stop sign at Highway 36 (Colfax)
- Continue North on Manila Road across Highway 36 and over the railroad tracks.
- Make an immediate right hand turn in front of the Front Range airport sign and go through the gate.
- Follow the road east and then north to the autocross site.
If you can volunteer to assist the chair in setting up the course and other activities to make this a successful event please call Chris Sulley at 720-630-6898 or send an email to email@example.com.
Be sure to review the class list below to determine your car class BEFORE proceeding to the registration form!
- Top Tech to be held prior to the start of the school on Saturday and each run group on Sunday. Please remove all loose items from within the car and the trunk(s).
- Autocross University – Saturday
- 7:00 to 8:30 Course Setup
- 8:00 to 9:00 Registration/Check-in
- 8:45 to 9:00 Instructor Only Meeting
- 8:30 to 9:15 Top Tech
- 9:00 to 9:15 Drivers Meeting (Mandatory)
- 9:30 to 10:15 First Exercise Session
- 10:20 to 11:05 Second Exercise Session
- 11:10 to 11:55 Third Exercise Session
- 11:55 to 12:45 Lunch Break (No Concessions) (Setup Autocross Course)
- 12:45 to 1:15 Autocross Course Walk
- 1:15 to 2:15 Autocross Group One (half of attendees drive, the other half work the course)
- 2:30 to 3:30 Autocross Group Two (switch drive/work duties)
- 3:30 Beer Thirty
- 3:30 to 5:00 Full Autocross Setup for Sunday (Volunteers Needed)
- Spring Autocross – Sunday
- 7:00 to 8:30 Complete Autocross Setup (Volunteers Needed)
- 8:00 to 9:00 Registration/Check-in/Course Open for Walking
- 9:00 to 9:30 Drivers Meeting (Mandatory)
- 9:45 Corner Workers Out (Group B)
- 10:00 Group A – First Car on Course AM
- 10:45 Group B – First Car on Course AM
- ~12:00 Lunch Break (No Concessions. Bring your own lunch and non-alcoholic drinks.)
- ~12:45 Corner Workers Out (Group B)
- ~1:00 Group A – First Car on Course PM
- ~1:45 Group B – First Car on Course PM
- ~3:00 Course Tear Down
- ~3:00 Beer Thirty
Autocross Competition Classes
- TO = Time Only or Non-Porsche
- Select the TO class if you will drive something other than a Porsche, or if you drive a Porsche and do not wish to place your car in a Porsche class
- CS = Class SUV -- All Cayenne, Macan & Panamera models
- C1 = Class 1
- 356 (all)
- 912, 912E
- 914 (all)
- 911 (thru 1988)
- 924, 944, 968, 928
- 911 Turbo (3.3 liter and under)
- Boxster 986 (non-S, thru 2004)
- C2 = Class 2
- Boxster & Cayman 987.1 (non-S, 2005 - 2008)
- Boxster S 986 (thru 2004)
- 911 964 & 993 (non-Turbo, 1989 - 1998)
- C3 = Class 3
- Boxster & Cayman 987.2 or 981 (non S, 2009-2016)
- Boxster S & Cayman S 987.1 (2005-2008)
- 911 996 & 997.1 (1999-2008)
- 911 964 Turbo
- 911 993 Turbo
- C4 = Class 4
- Boxster & Cayman 982/718 (non-S, 2017->)
- Boxster S/GTS & Cayman S/GTS & Cayman R 987.2 & 981 (2009-2016)
- 911 997.2 & 991 & 992 (2009->)
- 911S 996 & 997.1 (1999-2008)
- C5 = Class 5
- Boxster S & Cayman S 982/718 (2017->)
- Boxster Spyder 981 & 718
- 911 S/GTS/X51 997.2 & 991 & 992 (2009->)
- GT2 & GT3 & GT4 (all)
- 996 Turbo & 997 Turbo & 991 Turbo/Turbo S & 992 Turbo/Turbo S
- Carrera GT