About this event
Come run with us at Watkins Glen!
The Allegheny Region of the Porsche Club of America will host a Driver’s Education Event at Watkins Glen International Race Track on Saturday and Sunday, May 10 and 11.
There will be a lapping day for ARPCA approved experienced drivers and instructors on Friday, May 9th.
This is a great opportunity to learn more about your car and enhance your driving skills. Our club has a long history in making sure that first timers feel especially welcome!
The ARPCA is a very active group. Our Spousal Auxiliary will be coordinating off-track activities traveling to antique shops, flea markets and wineries.
If you are not currently a Approved Instructor for the Allegheny Region and would like to apply please contact the our chief instructor: firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your instructing credentials.
- HELMET - 2005 or later SNELL rating required (sticker must be attached - look inside helmet). SNELL “SA” recommended. A helmet with only a DOT rating is NOT acceptable. (Note: new requirement; 2000-rated helmets NOT ACCEPTABLE!). SA-2005 helmits will be permitted for 2015.
- Seatbelts - As a minimum the vehicle shall have the OEM restraints. If the participant chooses to install 5 or 6 point driving harnesses, four point harnesses are not allowed with the exception of the Schroth DOT approved 4 point harness, the harnesses must include an antisubmarine strap and be mounted in an approved manner consistent with the manufacturer’s instructions. The Harness System must be used in conjunction with a seat which has the supplied routing holes for the shoulder and anti-submarine belts. The use of H-style shoulder belts is no longer allowed by PCA. Equal restraints are required for driver & passenger.
- Seating requirements - ALL participant vehicles must have TWO seats with equal restraints for the driver and the passenger. This applies to ALL run groups, including instructors. If you do not have a car that qualifies under this rule, please don't apply. If you show up without a second seat or without equal restraints, your car will fail tech inspection and you will not be allowed on the track. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS and NO REFUNDS for failed Tech.
- Roll bar - Open air vehicles must have OEM, operational, roll over protection OR properly installed roll bars that meet the broomstick rule, i.e., must be taller than driver & also provide protection for passenger. Arm restraints required for driver and passenger for open vehicle operation.
- Sunroofs - must be fully closed on track.
- Brake Pads - Minimum 50% brake pad lining.
- Tires - minimum - 5/32" tire tread depth for street tires. If you are running some form of a track or race tire (Kumo, Hoosier, etc.) be prepared to show your tires to the safety char for approval.
- Clothing – minimum requirement - long sleeve 100% cotton shirt, long 100% cotton pants, leather or canvas shoes.
- Age - Drivers must be 18 years or older with valid driver's license.
- Co-Driver - No more than one novice driver per vehicle.
- Noise - No open exhausts - (100dB limit)
- Car Safety – the driver of the vehicle is responsible for the preparation and proper operation of their vehicle. All registered drivers will receive a link to ARPCA’s Safety Inspection Form, which is to be completed, signed, and brought to the track. All vehicles will be required to pass a safety inspection at the track. Failure of this inspection will not result in a refund of your registration fee. You will be allowed to remedy any problems and resubmit your vehicle for approval.
- Instructor’s safety trump driver’s preference – Instructors assigned to a student’s car have the final say on safety, in-car filming, top positions, erratic driving, unsafe acts, etc. The event management will side with the instructor.
- Cars that are not permitted: All open wheeled cars are prohibited. All cars with fenders attached to the wheels which are not attached to the body in two locations like a Lotus 7 or Caterham are prohibited. All cars requiring methanol based fuels are prohibited. Should there be any question about the suitability and safety of a vehicle, the final determination will be made by the event staff and Safety Chair. Contact track@ARPCA.com
Providing your Driving Resume
Please make sure your driving resume is up to date in Motorsport Reg. A suggested structure is below:
Please make sure that your logbook of experience in your member profile is up to date. We will use this information to evaluate your ability and to correctly place you into your run group.
There will be a Lapping Day on Friday 8th of May before the formal DE. Students who qualify for the lapping day are not given an Instructor so therefore a demonstrated high level of experience is required to qualify. If you are interested in our Lapping Day you are required to participate in the weekend event as well.
Current ARPCA Instructors who want to attend will be accepted. If you have attended an ARPCA Lapping Day event before at this track you will also be accepted.
All others, indicate your interest in attending the lapping day. Please make sure that your logbook of experience in your member profile is up to date. We will use this to evaluate your ability to qualify. We may also ask for a recommendation from the Chief Instructor of your Region so include that information as well. Lapping Days are operated as open track days and we are very careful to only have qualified participants at these events. This precaution is done to insure the SAFETY of all who attend.
Costs and Options:
- Driver Registration Cost: $405
- Instructor Registration Cost: $75
- Lapping Day Cost: $180
- Garage Rental: $100 (for 1 bay of the 2 bay garage)
You will be asked for a credit card when you register. We will charge your credit card after your registration has been reviewed and approved by the event chairs.
You may adjust your registration on-line. Any additional charges will be reviewed and charged as appropriate to your credit card. If refunds are appropriate (eg. for changing reservations) we will provide a charge credit, as warranted. Any refunds will be subject to the standard cancellation policy outlined in the cancellation section for this event.