About this event
BMW CCA Tarheel Chapter HPDE -- April 21-23, 2023
Virginia International Raceway - Full Course
Run Group spaces remaining as of 4/19/2023 7:30pm
A (WAITLIST - 3) , B (WAITLIST - 0) , C (WAITLIST - 0) , D-3
Come join us for a wonderful opportunity to experience the Full Course of Virginia International Raceway [VIR]. Learn more about VIR at www.VIRclub.com and about Tarheel Chapter BMW CCA Driver Schools at www.tarheelbmwcca.org under TRACK. Once again all 3 of our schools are "High Season". Rental rates on these High Season weekends are significantly greater than February and November, compounded by yet another VIR rate increase.
DRIVING SCHOOL STUDENTS
Registration opens 2/13/2023 at 8:00 PM EST to current Tarheel Chapter affiliate members. HPDS cost is $550.00 Sat/Sun. Five days later registration opens to BMW CCA members affiliated with OTHER chapters. Must be BMW CCA member to participate per BMW CCA National guidelines. Not a member of BMW CCA? Join at www.BMWCCA.org.
We will offer Friday morning (9am-1pm) and Friday afternoon (1pm-5pm) skidpad sessions.
Instructors, Instructor Training School [ITS] candidates, A-PLUS with Tarheel Chapter, and BMWCCA Licensed Club Racers may register for the full day Friday. Just as we have A-D run groups, we have added the category A-PLUS. The program description and qualification requirements are described in this linked document. Review that document and your logbooks on MotorSportReg and Driving Evals. The Full A-Plus program is offered in the Spring and Fall events. We do not offer the full A-Plus program in June due to ITS activities. In June, qualified A-Plus students may register for "Friday Open Track A-Plus" at the Instructor Friday rate. We may give you a check ride Friday morning, then you will have the remainder of the open track day to yourself. You'll be a regular Group A student on the weekend.
Club Racers with competition licenses may join us for open track Friday. Your cost is $285 and guaranteed a minimum of 4 hours track time. More time may be available depending on the schedule.
Registration opens the same time as students and will not close until staffing is completed. Note we cannot confirm students until we have sufficient staff so please let us know early that you will be available to Instruct. Friday cost for instructors working Sat/Sun (and ITS candidates) is $190.00.
SATURDAY Social Gathering
We will host the Chapter Annual Banquet at the VIR Gallery Saturday evening. Please register separately at this link.
PAYMENT PROCESSING IS DEFFERED
We have switched to "Required but Deferred" payment processing to ensure no one is charged until they're confirmed. That said, a valid card must be provided at registration, but we will not charge you until we confirm you to the event. If your card is denied when we attempt to charge, you may languish on the waitlist. Please plan accordingly.
Everyone registers in the VIR North Paddock on FRIDAY. Participants who attend Friday will register Friday AM around 8 AM. EVERYONE else registers Friday afternoon/evening in the Paddock of the North Course. INSTRUCTORS working only Sat/Sun may check-in Saturday AM if you are not able to do so Friday evening. Please, everyone try to register Friday. Saturday morning check-ins are very hectic and stressful for everyone.
Cancellation Policy **Return to Pre-COVID Policy**
You must cancel by using the self-cancellation on Motorsportreg.com site and please, also email the Event Registrar via the MSR registrar contact link. The timestamp is automatically added to the private note letting organizers apply the refund policy. Students, Cancel 30+ days in advance, receive 100% track fee credit on your user account to be applied to future registration. Cancel 10 to 29 days in advance, a $100 cancellation fee is applicable. Balance will be credited on your MSR account to be applied to future registration. If you cancel within 10 days in advance or NO-SHOW, fees are forfeited. NO refund or credit. For a refund in lieu of MSR credit as outlined above, an additional $30 handling fee is applicable. Refund must be requested at time of cancellation. NO EXCEPTIONS due to mechanical failure. Prepare your car carefully. Aborted events (as determined by the Driving Events Committee) may trigger a refund/credit to paid registrants in a prorated amount to be determined.
Due to increased demand for our events, size of the waitlists, and the number of no-shows each event, we have instituted a no-show policy. A registrant can be replaced by a waitlist stand-by on-site if registrants are late and don't exercise the courtesy of letting us know they are going to be late or not coming at all. To avoid the no-show declaration, a registrant must fulfill any one of these three requirements:
1- Check-in, sign waivers and collect registration packet by 8:30am Saturday.
2- Contact a CI or the registrar by 7am Saturday indicating the registrant will not be able to meet requirement #1.
3- Respond by 8:30am Saturday to emails and/or calls to the registrants MotorSportReg profile contacts.
If a registrant fails to meet at least one of these requirements they will be declared a No-Show. At that point their spot may be given to a qualified stand-by. If the spot is re-assigned, the No-Show will receive their event fee refund less $50 administrative fees. If not replaced, they will receive no refund. If the no-show registrant eventually arrives the CI's at their discretion may make a best-effort to find a spot for the no-show registrant. This opportunity is not guaranteed.
CURRENT BMW CCA MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED
This is not optional. All HPDS participants must have a current valid BMW CCA membership. Contact BMW CCA National at 1-800-878-9292 or sign up online at BMWCCA.ORG. Your registration cannot be confirmed until you provide a verifiable current membership number. You will be leapfrogged by validated member registrations.
No one under the age of 18 years may participate in a Tarheel BMWCCA High Performance Driver School without prior vetting and permission. Check out www.StreetSurvival.org for this alternative geared specifically to young drivers.
INSURANCE AND LIABILITY
Please check www.tarheelbmwcca.org under HPDS Insurance to read the latest information on what is covered by our purchased Event Insurance. You as waiver signed participants are covered for liability during your participation in this event. You are not protected by this policy for collision. You are responsible for your vehicle and that of anyone else involved with you in a collision at the event. Private insurance policies may not cover a "racing surface" based school. READ your insurance policies exclusions. Hint: Do not ask your Insurance Agent whether you are covered during a driver school on a track; rather ask for all exclusions in writing. We as organizers strive to comply with the BMW CCA HPDS Guidelines and to be diligent in enforcing the policies. Your cooperation and safe conduct enables us to maintain reasonable insurance costs. You may purchase supplemental Track Insurance via a number of products offered by Lockton, Hagerty, and several others. Google 'Track Insurance" for more details.
STUDENTS AND INSTRUCTORS
- All cars must be inspected and the Vehicle Tech Inspection Form completed prior to registration. Tarheel Chapter staff do NOT tech your car on-site. It is your responsibility to ensure your car is safe. After the meet and greet you and your assigned instructor will Clean Tech your car and get familiar with the car and its modifications.
- A Snell-rated helmet (with SNELL sticker) is mandatory! DOT Rating is NOT sufficient. Any SA, or M rated SNELL 2015 or newer helmets are allowed. NOTE SA2010 HELMETS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED.
- Equal restraints are required for driver and passenger. This applies to EVERYONE.
- Long sleeve shirts and long pants are required unless special permission is granted to the school; usually it is based on temperatures. Come prepared for either short or long sleeves.
- All cars participating Saturday/Sunday must have front passenger seat. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Requirements for participation in a CONVERTIBLE OR OPEN TOP car are based on BMW CCA Guidelines and may be found on our website: www.tarheelbmwcca.org Contact our Chief Instructors Paul Tillery/April Curtis or our safety officer, Mike Hinkley well ahead of the event to ensure you understand and comply with the convertible guidelines. We adhere to them without exception.
- The event will be held rain or shine. However, the club may cancel or close down the event if the track or weather conditions pose an inordinate safety concern for the participants. The decision is that of the Chief Instructor and Event Coordinator.
- The Sleep INN Danville Airport will be the headquarters hotel for this school. We have access to a BLOCKED A SECTION WITH REDUCED RATES. Be sure to request the "VIR RATE" negotiated block rate.
- VIR provides a number of convenient accommodation options on-site. Checkout the details on their website virnow.com.
Vehicles must have a muffler sufficient for use of headset communicators for all student groups . Stock exhaust systems are fine. If you can't carry a normal conversation in the cabin at highway speed WITH WINDOWS DOWN, your exhaust will not be compliant... Contact the Chief Instructor prior to registering if you have questions about your vehicle's compliance.
When selecting your run group preference, use the following guidelines.
A-Plus: Experience 4 or more schools (8 days) in the A group with Tarheel Chapter in the most recent three seasons. Achieve scores of all 5's Attitude and 11's or better on skills in your student evaluation. Recommendations of 2 Tarheel instructors to qualify. Confirmed A-Plus students may register to drive on Fridays in addition to Sat/Sun. Read this for more about A-Plus.
A : Experience 8 or more schools &/or completed B with recommendation of Instructor to move to A.
B : Experience 6 or more schools &/or completed C with recommendation of Instructor to move to B.
C : Experience 4 or more schools &/or completed D with recommendation of Instructor to move to C.
D : Experience 0-3 schools.
Students may elect to remain in a lower group for more experience at any level; an instructor may elect not to advance a student even if s/he has enough schools to advance. Note that a recommendation from your last instructor to move you up is needed in order for you to advance. You may request a specific instructor at the time of registration. We will TRY to accommodate that request in registration timestamp order. Do NOT wait until a week prior to the school to make special requests, it is likely your requested instructor will have been taken by then.
HPDS on-track training will be provided by in-car instructors tailoring to your individual needs & level of experience. There are typically 4 run groups, 4 sessions daily and ample classroom instruction. First time students/D group students will ride in the instructor's car with their instructor driving for their first session of the day to provide a good orientation to the track, corner workers' location and a general overview of what they may expect during the school. This is done without helmets at lower than highway speeds. This follows our MEET and GREET session at which time you will meet your instructor and together you will set a time to clean tech your car. D students will also have classroom prior to their first driving session on track. Read all of the Student Confirmation packet at http://tarheelbmwcca.org/track.html prior to arrival. Confirmation packets will be made available on line AFTER YOU'VE BEEN CONFIRMED as attending. Be Safe and Have Fun.
Run group preference is only that, we reserve the right to reassign as indicated or necessary based on multiple factors. We've reviewed your log book prior to confirmation into a run group. Please keep the "External Experience" section of your profile up-to-date if you wish us to consider experience not logged in MotorSportReg.
- A WORKING COMMUNICATOR is essential for good communication. In the case of medical reasons why YOU can't use the ear pieces, just use the microphone. Your student can wear the ear pieces. He/she can hear you, you can't hear him over the intercom. Not ideal, but better than shouting.
- All cars participating Sat/Sun must have the front passenger seat. NO EXCEPTIONS! (This requirement is waived during CCA mandated restrictions on In-Car Instruction) Part of your instructing job includes taking your student out in your car to demonstrate the skills that you are trying to impart. This demonstration is done at the STUDENT'S RUN GROUP LEVEL speeds. Please, no thrill rides.
- Participant Registration is done Friday at the track. The arm band is placed on your arm at registration by our staff when you sign the waiver. VIR also has a waiver that you must sign to gain entrance to VIR, that is different and in addition to our insurance waiver.
- BMW CCA guest instructors belonging to chapters other than Tarheel, who have instructed with us in the recent past, may register at the same time as our regular Tarheel cadre. Guest instructors will be used as needed. If you have not instructed with us in the recent past and you are available, please contact Scott Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org Your online registration is time-stamped when you sign up online. The instructor fee for Friday is payable during registration but you will not be charged if you do not put wheels on track Friday. No participant may attend Friday if they are not participating Sat. & Sun. Our policy is that instructors will have A & C or B & D students to facilitate time for pre-track communication and post-track debriefing. Completed student evaluations are required as part of your duties.
Please be precise and share your scoring with your student. If you wish to add an additional comment for staff only, do so after your review with your student.
- Special Registration Note: If you are a recognized instructor for Tarheel Chapter do NOT register as a student, doing so puts you in the student pool. If you are not presented with instructor signup options and you have instructed with Tarheel Chapter BMW before, contact the Tarheel Chief Instructor or Instructor Coordinator, Scott Meyer (email@example.com) and request to be flagged as "Instructor". If you were already flagged as instructor by the CI, you should have been directed to the Instructors sign up. If you still don't see instructor options contact the event registrar. Thank you for choosing Tarheel Chapter HPDS. Your help is essential and hugely appreciated. We hope you have a rewarding experience with Tarheel Chapter. It is our honor to have you instruct with us.
- Instructor confirmation packet is available at http://tarheelbmwcca.org/track.html for further information on headquarters, etc... PACKETS WILL BE AVAILABLE AFTER YOU'VE BEEN CONFIRMED as attending by our Chief Instructors.
CLUB RACER FRIDAY
- BMW CCA Membership is required.
- Advanced HPDE passing rules (anywhere with a point) will apply.
- There will be a mandatory all-hands meeting Friday morning.
- You will be required to upload a copy of a current valid race license credential (BMWCCA, SCCA, NASA, PCA, IMSA, FIA, etc.).
- We reserve the right to refuse access to anyone, particularly rookie, provisional and probationary status licenses.
- This registration and fee is per driver, not per car, for Friday only.
- You will be required to submit a pre-event tech inspection form. Download it here. (http://tarheelbmwcca.org/track.html) We allow Club Racers to self-tech so you may complete the form yourself without a shop stamp.