About this event
TRI-STATE 2023 CHAMPIONSHIP TRACKSPRINT #2
No cones, no gimmicks, just time on track!
Join the Tri-State Sports Car Council for timed runs and fun on track!! This event will be held on the South Course at Autobahn Country Club on Sunday, June 11, 2023, with on-track activities set to begin at 4:00 PM. (new, earlier time!!)
What is TrackSprint?
TrackSprint uses ¾ of a course -- sometimes North, sometimes South -- for a time attack run unlike any other event. Just you and your ride against the clock. No passing allowed, no wheel to wheel. Cars will be spaced at minimum intervals to get you maximum seat time. No transponders or fancy equipment needed, but you must have numbers on your car which are readable at speed and from a distance -- this means at least 8" tall in a color that contrasts with your car's exterior.
TrackSprint is run similar to an autocross, with a standing start and a flying finish through timing beams, but it is generally less hard on your equipment. You will leave pitlane from a standing start when directed by the starter and attack the course. After Turn Six you will pass the finish beam, after which there will be a short cool-down portion of the track before you enter pit lane to restage for your next run. We start with three runs for each run group and evaluate total run count based on time remaining after everyone has 3 runs in the books. We are not able to guarantee a set amount of time on track or more than 3 runs, though we always hope to provide more!
- Entry Fee: $110
- Early Registration Discount: $20 off
- Late/On-Site Entry Fee: $130
- Weekend Membership*: $20 Weekend Membership Fee for non-SCCA members. SCCA full or weekend membership is required for this event, but the weekend membership fee can be applied to your full membership after the event.
- Early Registration discount ends four days before the event.
Event Day: Check-in for this event begins at 1:00 PM; the mandatory drivers' meeting starts at 3:30 PM; and on-track activities are scheduled to begin at 4:00 PM. Trophies will be awarded 15-20 minutes after the course closes.
Run Groups: We typically have 3-4 run groups for TrackSprint: Advanced, Intermediate A, Intermediate B, and Novice. These run groups are based on the driver's skill and experience. You don't have to drive any faster than you feel comfortable, but comfort levels and speed tend to increase with experience, which is why we offer four different run groups. Remember, TrackSprint means one car at a time with no passing, so pick the group that fits you best!
Car Classifications: Cars are classed according to your vehicle's relative power and modifications. TrackSprint uses the four categories from SCCA Time Trials classification: Sport, Tuner, Max, and Unlimited. Please take the time to figure out which class your car belongs in prior to registering. Contact the registration team -- in advance of the event, please -- with any questions.
- Sport Category, which ranges from Sport 1 (higher performance) to Sport 6 (more modest performance), is for daily-driven street cars on tires with a treadwear rating of 200 or higher. Sport Category allows only minimal modifications; click here for the full Sport Category guidelines.
- Tuner Category is also intended for street-driven vehicles with a treadwear rating of 200 or higher, but with allowances for some bolt-on modifications for tuning and adjustment. Tuner Category ranges from Tuner 1 to Tuner 5, and there is room for your SCCA Solo ST cars, too, as long as they run on TT legal tires. Click here for the full Tuner Category guidelines.
- Max Category is where you find "Maximum" street cars: engine swaps, aftermarket or increased forced induction; suspension geometry changes, or even aftermarket wings and body work. Max Category ranges from Max 1 to Max 5, and this might be where you enter your approved Kit Car; click here for the full Max Category guidelines.
- Unlimited Category is for those production-based vehicles that are not street-going or on DOT tires with less than 200 treadwear or are on non-DOT racing tires. Unlimited is divided into Unlimited 1 (production silhouette, but over the displacement limits or under the weight limits for Unlimited 2) and Unlimited 2 (minimum of 1750 pounds with driver and maximum displacement of 3.0 liters). Remember that ANY car running on sub-200 treadwear or race tires will be classed in Unlimited.
Drivers’ Meeting: There will be a mandatory drivers’ meeting with in-depth instructions on track safety and etiquette 30 minutes before the course goes hot. Be there early enough to get through registration and prep your car before the meeting. Information given at the meeting is crucial to EVERYONE for a safe and smooth event. If you are found not in attendance, you WILL be asked to leave. No refunds, no exceptions.
Vehicle Eligibility: Most trucks, SUVs, and crossover vehicles, as well as most race cars, are not eligible for this event. Please click here to see the most current SCCA vehicle classifications for Time Trials.
- $10 TSSCC member
- $20 early registration - ends 4 days before the event
New to events at Autobahn?
- Arrive on Autobahn property and stop at main building and sign waiver. Put on the wristband they give you.
- Proceed to registration; all people in attendance must additionally sign SCCA/TSSCC waiver. Put on the wristband WE give you. (There, now you've started your collection!)
- Return to car, make car race ready, and proceed to drivers' meeting.
- We run rain or shine in all kinds of temperatures. However, the event will be temporarily suspended if lightning is observed in the immediate area. Please bring appropriate rain/cold/hot/sunny weather gear. Make sure you also bring something to cover and/or secure your gear while it is not in your car (plastic garbage bags or a tarp).
- The concession stand is not usually open during TrackSprint events, so plan to bring a cooler with water, sports drinks, and snacks.
- TRI-STATE SPORTS CAR COUNCIL, a chapter of the CHICAGO REGION, SPORTS CAR CLUB OF AMERICA, INC., PRESENT: Level 1 TrackSprint (TT), June 211, 2023, at Autobahn Country Club, Joliet, IL
- This Level 1 Time Trial (TT), Sanction No. 23-TTRG-#####, 06/11/2023 at Autobahn Country Club, Joliet, IL, is organized by the Tri-State Sports Car Council, a chapter of the Chicago Region, Sports Car Club of America, Inc. (SCCA), and will be held under the current SCCA Time Trial Rules and official updates, except as modified by these Supplemental Regulations. Please read full rule set at: https://timetrials.scca.com/pages/tt-basics
- Entry fees:
- Entry Fee: $110
- Early Registration Discount: $20 off
- Late/On-Site Entry Fee: $130
- Weekend Membership*: $20 Weekend Membership Fee for non-SCCA members. SCCA full or weekend membership is required for this event, but $15 can be applied to a full membership after the event.
- Early Registration discount ends four days prior to the event.
- *Membership: All participants are required to be SCCA members. Anyone who does not have an annual membership on their person will be required to purchase a weekend membership on site.
- Drivers: All drivers must be at least 16 years of age and possess a current valid driver's license issued by their state of residence.
- Minor Drivers: Any driver under 18 must be a full SCCA member and have a Minor Annual Waiver on file with the National SCCA office. Instructions for Digital Annual Waivers are available here. The document must be submitted and processed by the SCCA National office before the driver attends the event.
- Tech Sheets and Helmets: All drivers need to present a completed tech inspection sheet and a helmet meeting current certifications at registration before the event. A limited number of rental helmets may be available.
- Car Numbers: All registrants should have car numbers clearly visible to track workers -- from a distance, and at speed -- on both sides of the car. Typically, this means numbers should be 6" to 8" tall and in a color contrasting with your vehicle's body color.
- Event Day Schedule: Check-in for this event begins at 2:00 PM; the mandatory drivers' meeting starts at 4:30 PM; and on-track activities are scheduled to begin at 5:00 PM.
- Pertinent dates for this event (all dates 2023):
- Opening date for receipt of entries 12:01 AM CDT — May 10
- Early discount fee expires 11:59 PM CDT — June 7
- Online registration closes 4:00 PM CDT — June 11
- Registration/check-in 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
- Worker Meeting 3:15 PM
- Mandatory drivers' meetings 3:30 PM
- On track activities commence 4:00 PM
- Trophies by Car Class: After Checkered Flag
- Important Notes:
- Drivers may be held responsible for damages to property, including track and environmental damage.
- All convertibles must have a factory recognized roll over structure or SCCA GCR legal rollover protection, unless approved prior to the event.
- All participants must have a Snell M-2010 or better helmet. A small number of loaner (SCCA) and/or rental (Autobahn) helmets may be available at the event.
- No instructors are offered for this event. Ride-alongs for other registered participants are not permitted at this time.
- Tri-State Sports Car Council, a chapter of the Chicago Region, Sports Car Club of America, Inc.
- Event Lead: Erik Vandermey
- Registrar: H. Ingraham
- Registration information:
- The registrar for this event is
- H. Ingraham
- Time Trial Licenses:
- Effective 2023, drivers can log TrackSprint experience toward qualifying for an SCCA Time Trials license.
- Trophies are awarded 15-20 minutes after the course closes to permit our timing crew time to complete final audits, review and prepare final results, and deliver them.
- Vehicle Classing:
- Please do your best to class your car as accurately as possible before the event. The most up-to-date classing info is available here (see the Time Trial and TrackSprint guide at SCCA Class My Car). Not sure? Email us before the event and ask!
- There's no cone-shagging in TrackSprint!!
- However, we still need workers -- this means we need YOU to volunteer!
- Don't worry, you still get to drive, we promise. You will be assigned to work either the first half or the second half of the event, and you get to drive the other half of the event!
- Season Workers (special training and commitment required):
- computer (timing and scoring)
- radio (timing and scoring)
- safety steward
- classroom instructor
- Event-Day Volunteers (show up to your shift on time and we'll teach you what you need to know):
- recorder (works with Timing & Scoring, writes down finish #'s as called in from the finish)
- grid assistants (help get cars lined up, check wristbands and helmet straps, release cars from false grid to hot grid when notified, help announce grid calls)
- finish radio (sit in your car just past the finish timers to record car #s and radio them to Timing & Scoring)
- set-up and/or take-down
- trophy distribution
- Season Workers (special training and commitment required):
- Check-In: Driver-check in starts no later than 2½ hours prior to the event and closes 45 minutes before the track goes hot. Please arrive early with your completed tech sheet and currently certified helmet ready to be inspected. A limited number of helmets may be available for rental from Autobahn. We do not offer vehicle technical inspection on site, we only verify.
Below are the Autobahn Country Club track rules. They are considered part of these supplementary regulations and are enforceable as such.
- Camping. Camping by Participants may be permitted by Autobahn Circuit at its sole discretion, and shall be restricted to certain areas. Autobahn Circuit retains the right to charge a fee for camping, which fee shall include 24-hour security costs incurred by Autobahn Circuit for days in which such camping takes place. No campfires will be allowed at the Circuit.
- Facilities Rules and Regulations. Autobahn Circuit reserves the right to impose certain rules and regulations for the Circuit and Lessee agrees to enforce these rules and regulations throughout the duration of the Event. These rules and regulations include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Road Course Access. Under no circumstances shall any Participant access the road course in any vehicle unless specifically authorized by, and under the control of, Lessee as part of the Event activities. Unauthorized driving shall be considered grounds for removal of the driver and the vehicle from the premises for the entire Event and for the driver’s exclusion from future events.
- Alcoholic Beverages. No alcoholic beverages may be brought on site without the consent of Autobahn Circuit. No alcoholic beverages will be permitted in the pit or main paddock areas until 30 minutes after the end of the final event of each day. Lessee and its Participants (and families or guests) shall comply with all state and local liquor laws.
- Minibikes, Dirt Bikes and Four Wheelers. The use of unlicensed vehicles such as minibikes, four-wheelers and dirt bikes shall be restricted to their use as service vehicles for competitors and shall only be used in the paddock area. Only licensed drivers shall use such vehicles. Children are specifically forbidden to ride such vehicles in the paddock or in any of the public areas. Autobahn Circuit reserves the right to further restrict the use of these vehicles if, in the sole discretion of Autobahn Circuit, such use is in any way a danger or annoyance to other persons. No vehicles shall be ridden or driven by any person who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Autobahn Circuit reserves the right to remove any person who is in violation of this rule from the premises for the duration of the Event and to forbid their attendance at future events.
- Pets. All pets must be kept on a leash at all times, and all pet waste must be removed and disposed of.
- Quiet Periods. No racing or unmuffled engines may be run outside of the designated times as noted in Section 4.
- Campfires. No campfires will be allowed at the Circuit.
- Minors and Children. All minors and children must be under the direct supervision of an adult at all times.
- Electricity and RV Hook-up. Participants (and families or guests) are prohibited from using any Circuit electrical and waste hook-up facilities unless consented to by Autobahn Circuit, and the use of such facilities may be subject to a separate fee.
- Additional Regulations. Autobahn Circuit reserves the right to impose additional rules and regulations at any time. Such additional rules and regulations shall be provided in writing to Lessee who shall consider them to be part of this Agreement.
ADDITIONAL SAFETY AND TECH GUIDELINES:
ALL vehicles must be inspected prior to arriving on-site. This will be your responsibility. Safety will be our top priority. The Tech Form can be found on the TSSCC website.
You must bring your own helmet meeting the current SCCA guidelines to the tech line. Autobahn rental helmets are unfortunately not always available.
TSSCC will be using SCCA Time Trial rules for this event. Open wheel and mod cars will not be permitted.
Convertibles: It is highly recommended that all convertible vehicles be equipped with an aftermarket roll bar that meets or exceeds the standards set in the SCCA HILL CLIMB Safety Standards. However, TRACK EVENT Safety Standards requires the vehicle meets at least one of the following criteria and is not subject to any of the below exceptions:
- The vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket roll bar that meets or exceeds the standards set in the SCCA HILL CLIMB Safety Standards.
- The vehicle is equipped with documented factory installed roll over protection (examples of manufacture documented roll over protection would include hydroformed and reinforced a-pillars or windshield frames and factory installed roll bars and/or “popup” bars that are designated as roll over protection.
- The Vehicle is a 2006-year model or newer.
Convertible Exceptions: In addition, vehicles that were manufactured since 2006 that fall into any of the below categories must meet the criteria stated above for factory or aftermarket roll over protection:
- Vehicles equipped with factory V8 or forced induction engine
- Vehicles modified meaningfully beyond the factory performance potential (examples: engine swaps, aftermarket forced induction)
Note: Targa and T-Top vehicles are classified as "hard tops" and do not have to meet the terms and conditions of the convertible policy
TSSCC reserves the right to refuse any entry for any reason.
- Event Lead: Erik Vandermey (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Sign the Autobahn waiver at the gate as you enter the site.
- Check in at the Tri-State pre-registration line and sign the waiver. You and your guests MUST sign both waivers!
- If changes need to be made to your personal information or car information, you must do so at Registration to update your information BEFORE registration closes.
- Registration closes 15 minutes before the drivers’ meeting to give workers time to prepare their cars and get everyone into the computer. If you have not completed your registration by then, you will not be able to participate.
- You must be at least 18 years old and have a valid driver’s license to enter. All entrants and guests MUST sign the waiver.
- You will present your driver’s license and tech sheet to the registrar.
- After checking you in and returning your driver’s license, the registrar will verify your information in the computer.
- Verify your car is ready to go; ALL loose items removed, numbers applied to the body panels of the car which meet SCCA requirements, tires checked, etc. Numbers MUST be on the side of the car and clearly legible for our timing crew.