About this event
SASHA’s CHILDREN’S BOOK RUN RALLY
A fun drive benefiting Scottish Rite for Children
December 5, 2021
Let’s close out the Rally season supporting a good cause while honoring Sasha Lanz! The Texas Region of the Sports Car Club of America would like to cordially invite all fellow car enthusiasts to this Trek rally benefiting Scottish Rite for Children. No prior rally experience is necessary.
A bit of history: Sasha Lanz was instrumental in building a successful RoadRally program in the SCCA Texas Region and leading it for many years. Sadly, Sasha passed away earlier this year. One of his favorite events was the Children’s Book Run. Entrants were asked to donate 2 children’s books, which were gathered at check-in on Rally Day. Over the course of the five years that we held the rally, hundreds of books were donated to Scottish Rite! We would like to keep this tradition alive and conduct a Children’s Book Run in his name every year.
This year we plan to conduct the event as a Trek. This is a rally format recently added to the SCCA RoadRally event mix. A Trek is a non-competitive driving event on scenic country roads. No questions, puzzles, tricks or traps, or timed controls, just a fun (and stress-free) drive following a pre-determined route in northern Denton County using a “convoy style” format. We’ll provide basic route instructions as a back-up only. Weather permitting, we’ll stop in Pilot Point for a group picture in front of a historic site.
Each person in the car is asked to contribute two books, which must be NEW books due to the Hospital’s current COVID-19 guidelines. They need books for all ages – 5 through 16 – including Look-and-Find books, board books, chapter books, Spanish-language books, etc. We will collect the books at registration/check-in.
- Check-in and starting place: The Horny Toad Café & Bar, 5812 I-35, Denton, TX 76207
- Registration/check-in: 1:00 pm to 1:30 pm on Rally Day
- Safety Briefing: 1:45 pm
- Cars leave the start: 2:00 pm
- Length: 65 miles (~2 hours)
- Finish: The Horny Toad Café & Bar, 5812 I-35, Denton, TX 76207, where we can gather for announcements, a beverage or meal and to receive a rally memento
- Rally type: Trek. Non-scored organized scenic drive.
- Route: paved roads in northern Denton County, Texas
- Vehicles: Sports Cars, Family Cars, Classic Cars, Antiques, anything with 4 wheels that’s street legal is OK in this Rally. Note: speed is not a factor.
- No requirement for at least two people in each car, unless you separate from the group and rely on (back-up) route instructions
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a minor child (<18) in the car, as a form will need to be signed
- Rally entry fee: $10.00 per vehicle (covers insurance and preparation and administration expenses)
- Rally Master: John Poulos
While same-day registration will be allowed, we encourage you to pre-register. To pre-register, page down and click on “Continue”.
Texas Region SCCA (www.texasscca.org) is affiliated with the Sports Car Club of America (www.scca.org). With nearly 65,000 members, and with Regions all over the US, the club offers car related activities in a broad range of automotive events.
This event is sanctioned as a Trek by SCCA, under Sanction Number 21-RRTK-57180; it does not qualify for Regional or National Championship points.
For more information on the RoadRally Series, visit www.texasscca.org/rally
For more information about Scottish Rite for Children, visit www.scottishriteforchildren.org.
The driver must have a valid driver's license and proof of insurance. The car must be in good mechanical condition. If any one of the rally car occupants is a minor (under 18 years old), that person must have an SCCA "Minor Release" signed by a parent in the presence of either the rally registrar or a Notary Public. The form is available from email@example.com, or at registration.
For purposes of liability insurance protection, SCCA has (re)instituted membership requirements for RoadRally participants. There must be at least one SCCA Member in every rally car, either a regular/annual Member or a Trial Member. If not currently a Member, you will be registered as a Trial Member during online pre-registration. If only one of the team is a regular Member, then that Member should complete this registration. The other person(s) will be designated as Trial Members (no action required on their part).
Note for Members completing the Registration: MSReg verifies your membership against the SCCA database. Your Member number, first name and last name must all match exactly with the SCCA data. The verification uses the name in your MSReg account profile, so please make sure that your name matches the one in your SCCA profile exactly to avoid verification failures (e.g., Steve vs Stephen will cause a mismatch error). If different, we recommend that you update your MSReg account name to match the SCCA data.