About this event
Hurry up and register today: our Watkins Glen event always sells out!
Watkins Glen is always our most popular event of the season. Since it brings out so many friends old and new, we hold a Saturday evening banquet at the track. So don't make other plans because your dinner ticket is included in your registration fee. (Dinner tickets for your guests can be purchased during registration for $40 per adult; no charge for children under 12. Cash bar.)
Camping is available on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights for a flat fee of $150 for RVs and $75 for tents (electric hookup $50 extra).
At this event, we are offering the following run groups:
- Green: Instructed group, generally drivers with less than one full season of experience on track
- Blue: Instructed group, generally drivers with a full season or more of experience on track
- White: Non-instructed group, intermediate drivers
- Red/Black: Advanced drivers & instructors, placement at the discretion of the Chief Instructor following checkout ride
Green, Blue and White run groups are currently waitlisted. Do not despair: many people on the waitlist will get in to the event! Also, do not try to sneak in to the event by signing up for Black because we will simply move you to the waitlist.
Green and Blue drivers will get off the waitlist when other drivers drop out or more instructors sign up; 3-day participants will get off the waitlist before 1- and 2-day participants. White drivers will get off the waitlist when other drivers drop out.
READ THIS if you're new to Riesentöter Driver’s Education (DE)
- I’ve never done a DE before. Awesome! So glad you decided to start! Please sign up in our GREEN run group. You probably have a lot of questions so feel free to contact email@example.com – we’re here to help you get comfortable and fall in love with Driver’s Ed. We also urge you to read the Riesentöter Driver's Education Manual.
Note: DE is a high speed driving school – not a racing school – conducted on a race track under the supervision of experienced instructors. You'll learn how to control your vehicle at speeds not legally attained on public roads, which will help prepare you for emergencies in normal driving while exploring your capabilities as a driver and those of your vehicle. You won’t be pushed to go any faster than is comfortable for you. Our participants are organized into run groups based on experience and skill, so you will be driving alongside people with similar capabilities.
- I’ve done DE, but never with Riesentöter. Welcome! Please sign up in the run group you think you belong in. We'll verify your experience with a PCA region (or similar club) you've recently driven with. Your actual run group will be determined by our Chief Instructor. Please note: new drivers aren't placed in our advanced (black) group without a checkout ride, so don’t get salty when the registrar tells you so – it’s nothing personal.
- I'm an instructor, but I've never instructed with Riesentöter. Before signing up, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your PCA instructor number. If you don’t have a PCA instructor number, contact email@example.com to learn about our new instructor checkout process.
At Riesentoter events, instructors pay half. Prices go up 10% in the final 2 weeks of registration.
|Friday Only||Sat & Sun||Fri-Sun|
|Registration fee, on/before 6/24||$300||$500||$600|
|Instructor fee, on/before 6/24||$150||$250||$300|
|Registration fee as of 6/25||$330||$550||$660|
|Instructor fee as of 6/25||$165||$275||$330|
Additional banquet tickets for guests aged 12 and above can be purchased for $40 each. Your ticket is included with your registration fee.
Camping is available on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights for a flat fee of $150 for RVs and $75 for tents. Electric hookup is $50 extra - you will pay this to the track when you arrive.
Sorry, garages are not available to rent. We'll be assigning them to our instructors as a thank you for their contributions throughout the year.
5/20 Last day for no-fee cancellation (see below)
5/21 Credit cards charged beginning today
7/6 Last day for registration
7/6 Last day for cancellation (see below)
7/7 Club tech inspection event at Dougherty Automotive
7/15 Pre-event welcome packet emailed to drivers
7/19 Trailer drop off (TBD – see welcome packet for details)
7/20 Event begins
7/20 Track walk (TBD – inquire at Driver’s Meeting)
The cancellation deadline for this event is July 6, 2018. NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS WILL BE ISSUED AFTER THIS DATE.
You can cancel without incurring any charge up to 5/20/2018.
New this year: we now have a $25 cancellation fee for refunds. Cancellations occurring between 5/21 and 7/6/18 will be issued your choice of a refund to your credit card (your registration fee minus $25) or a 100% credit in MotorsportReg. Credits can be applied to any future Riesentoter Driver's Ed event through Dec 31, 2019, at which time the credit, if unused, will expire.
SHARING A CAR
You can share a car with another registered driver as long as you are in different run groups. Each driver must register separately.
Licensed drivers 18 and older
All drivers must be 18 or older and present their valid driver’s license at registration on the first morning of the event. If you cannot present your driver’s license, you will not be allowed on track.
Drivers must wear a helmet with one of these ratings:
- Snell SA/SAH 2010 or 2015
- Snell M 2010 or 2015
We recommend full-face helmets. However, open face helmets can be used in cars with working, factory-installed air bags.
Mandatory pre-event tech inspection
All cars must be inspected by a qualified mechanic using the current RTR inspection form. The inspection must take place no more than 2 weeks before the event.
If you live outside of the RTR region, please have your car inspected by your local dealer or an ASE certified mechanic who is familiar with your marque. The mechanic must use the current RTR inspection form.
RTR events are open to passenger cars of all marques (sorry no trucks or open wheel cars). See below for info on convertibles. Please check the RTR inspection form for additional details regarding vehicle requirements.
Before registering, please review the specific safety requirements for your car on the RTR inspection form.
- You must be able to pass the “broomstick rule” (your helmet must fit below an imaginary line between the roll bar and top of the windshield) when seated in your driving position.
- If you will drive your car with the top down/off, you must wear arm restraints.
- Convertibles with ONLY “pop up” roll over protection (such as the Porsche 996, 997 & 991) are only allowed in the Green run group. Above that, you must install a fixed roll bar. Having a hardtop does not replace the need for fixed rollover protection.
Cars with Collision Avoidance/Automatic Emergency Braking Systems
All collision avoidance/auto braking systems must be turned off when you are on track. Please review your car’s manual to understand how your system works and how to turn it off. If the system needs to be turned off each time you start the car, be sure to work that into your run session prep routine. Please don't confuse these systems with stability management systems that should remain ON while driving on track.