About this event
Join us for a weekend at the legendary Watkins Glen. At this high-performance driver’s education event, the only speed limit is your own talent. Novice and intermediate drivers will have a volunteer in-car instructor to help you develop your car-handling skills – making you a better, safer driver on- and off-track.
About this track
Watkins Glen is a favorite of both new drivers and those who have been coming to the track for decades. It has 2 screamingly fast straights, several elevation changes, and 11 challenging corners including the delightful uphill “esses”. Approximately 4 hours from our region HQ (Philadelphia), Watkins Glen is in the beautiful Finger Lakes. If your family enjoys hiking, waterfalls, or ice cream they will probably want to join you for this trip.
- Run groups:
- Green: An instructed run group for drivers with little or no track experience. If you have not done at least 3 weekends at 3 different tracks, this is the run group for you.
- Blue: An instructed run group for drivers with a full season or more of track experience.
- White: For drivers with several seasons of experience. An instructor will be assigned to you; participation is optional but highly recommended for those who wish to work on continued improvement and advancement.
- Black: Advanced run group with extended passing. Sometimes combined with red. Placement at the discretion of our chief instructors. Includes new (and new-to-us) instructors.
- Red: Instructor run group with extended passing. Sometimes combined with black. Placement at the discretion of our chief instructors.
- Registration fees:
- Friday-Sunday: $550 for drivers, $275 for instructors
- Saturday-Sunday: $450 for drivers, $225 for instructors
- Friday only (advanced only): $300 for drivers, $150 for instructors
- Sign up deadline: 07/01/22, 11:59pm
- Cancellation deadline: 07/01/22, 11:59pm
How and why to get in touch:
If you have never done a DE with us and you have questions about our events, please email email@example.com.
We welcome all PCA national instructors! If you have never instructed with us, please provide your instructor number to firstname.lastname@example.org before you sign up.
Learn more about our Driver's Education program on our website.
Requirements for participating:
- Eligibility: You must be 18 or older with a valid driver’s license.
- You need a passenger car (doesn’t have to be a Porsche).
- Convertibles are allowed IF they have fixed (not pop-up) rollover protection.
- Convertible drivers must pass the “broomstick test.” (Email email@example.com if you don’t know what that is.) If you will be driving with your top down, you must have arm restraints for yourself and your instructor.
- Electric cars are allowed but be warned that they go through charge and brakes very, very quickly on track.
- SUVs and trucks are not allowed.
- Helmet: You must have a Snell SA or M 2015 or 2020 spec helmet. We recommend full face.
- Safety inspection: No more than 3 weeks prior to the event, you must have your car inspected. This can be done at our safety tech event (see schedule here) or by any ASE certified mechanic using our tech form.
- Cancellations are accepted until 07/01/22, 11:59pm.
- If you have paid for your event, you have the option of a 100% credit for a future RTR DE (valid through 2023), or a refund to your credit card minus $25.
- Cancellations after 07/01/22, 11:59pm will not be refunded. If you are nice about it, we may give you a credit for a future RTR DE.
As of 2/1/22, guests of all ages are welcome. Guests must sign our waiver upon arrival and wear our wristband throughout the weekend. A parent or legal guardian must sign a waiver on behalf of any guests under age 18.
However, if any tracks decide to not allow guests, we will abide by their rules. Whining about it will not get us anywhere.
Our full policy is here. We are not currently requiring masks but do recommend masks and social distancing, especially indoors.
We are having in-car instruction. If you are in Intro, Green or Blue run group and are not comfortable having an instructor in your car, please do not sign up. If you are an instructor and are not comfortable being in the car with a student, you will have the option of signing up as driving-only in your normal run group.
All of this is subject to change as the pandemic changes.