About this event
Although previously advertised as a weekend on the Double Infield course, as of 8/22 this event is moving to Southeast. On Friday we will be doing Southeast 6, which includes NASCAR Turn 1, and on Saturday and Sunday we will be doing Southeast 1, as shown in the diagram above right. (Below right you'll see Double Infield which we are NOT doing this year.)
Join us for a weekend on the
Double Infield Southeast course at Pocono. At this high-performance driver’s education event, the only speed limit is your own talent. Novice and intermediate drivers will have a volunteer in-car instructor to help you develop your car-handling skills – making you a better, safer driver on- and off-track. Never been on a racetrack before? This event includes Intro to DE on Friday.
About this track
The Double Infield course at Pocono Raceway has a little bit of everything: two twisty infield roads, NASCAR Turn 2, and a long stretch of the grandstand straight. The Southeast course at Pocono Raceway is autocross without all those confusing cones. This is the perfect place to practice or perfect your turn ins, apexes, and track outs. Located, as you might expect, in the Pocono Mountains, this track is convenient to both Philadelphia and New York City.
- Run groups:
- Intro to DE: For drivers who have never been on track before. This one-day event lets you experience every aspect of DE without committing to a full weekend.
- Green: An instructed run group for drivers with little or no track experience. If you have not done at least 3 weekends at 3 different tracks, this is the run group for you.
- Blue: An instructed run group for drivers with a full season or more of track experience.
- White: For drivers with several seasons of experience. An instructor will be assigned to you; participation is optional but highly recommended for those who wish to work on continued improvement and advancement.
- Black: Advanced run group with extended passing. Sometimes combined with red. Placement at the discretion of our chief instructors. Includes new (and new-to-us) instructors.
- Red: Instructor run group with extended passing. Sometimes combined with black. Placement at the discretion of our chief instructors.
- Registration fees:
- Friday-Sunday: $550 for drivers, $275 for instructors
- Saturday-Sunday: $450 for drivers, $225 for instructors
- Friday only (Intro and advanced only): $100 for Intro, $300 for drivers, $150 for instructors
- Sign up deadline: 08/26/22, 11:59pm
- Cancellation deadline: 08/26/22, 11:59pm
How and why to get in touch:
If you have never done a DE with us and you have questions about our events, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We welcome all PCA national instructors! If you have never instructed with us, please provide your instructor number to email@example.com before you sign up.
Learn more about our Driver's Education program on our website.
Requirements for participating:
- Eligibility: You must be 18 or older with a valid driver’s license.
- You need a passenger car (doesn’t have to be a Porsche).
- Convertibles with pop-up rollover protection can be used in Intro to DE only; in all other run groups, convertibles must have fixed (not pop up) rollover protection.
- Convertible drivers must pass the “broomstick test.” (Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you don’t know what that is.) If you will be driving with your top down, you must have arm restraints for yourself and your instructor.
- Electric cars are allowed but be warned that they go through charge and brakes very, very quickly on track.
- Macans and Cayennes can be used in Intro to DE only; no other SUVs are allowed in Intro, and no SUVs or trucks are allowed in any other run group.
- Helmet: You must have a Snell SA or M 2015 or 2020 spec helmet. We recommend full face.
- Safety inspection: No more than 2 weeks prior to the event, you must have your car inspected. This can be done at our safety tech event (see schedule here) or by any ASE certified mechanic using our tech form.
- Cancellations are accepted until 08/26/22, 11:59pm.
- If you have paid for your event, you have the option of a 100% credit for a future RTR DE (valid through 2023), or a refund to your credit card minus $25.
- Cancellations after 08/26/22, 11:59pm will not be refunded. If you are nice about it, we may give you a credit for a future RTR DE.
As of 2/1/22, guests of all ages are welcome. Guests must sign our waiver upon arrival and wear our wristband throughout the weekend. A parent or legal guardian must sign a waiver on behalf of any guests under age 18.
However, if any tracks decide to not allow guests, we will abide by their rules. Whining about it will not get us anywhere.
Our full policy is here. We are not currently requiring masks but do recommend masks and social distancing, especially indoors.
We are having in-car instruction. If you are in Intro, Green or Blue run group and are not comfortable having an instructor in your car, please do not sign up. If you are an instructor and are not comfortable being in the car with a student, you will have the option of signing up as driving-only in your normal run group.
All of this is subject to change as the pandemic changes.