About this event
CRAFTSMAN AUTO CARE HPDE - BMW CCA National Capital Chapter
Main Circuit at Summit Point!!
This registration is for High Performance Driving Education (HPDE). If you are looking for the BMW Club Race, click this link COMING SOON!
Welcome to our annual Summit Point Main Circuit HPDE at Summit Point Motorsports Park presented by Craftsman Auto Care. This event is open to all run groups/skill levels with the usual 4 track sessions per day (including exercises), skidpad training, and classroom sessions. As you have come to expect, we provide a lot of track time, top-notch instructors, and an abundance of fun!
Sign up early! We will not charge your credit card before April 19, 2024.
Note: Fridays are open to A Group (A-Solo and A-Instructed) drivers! Contact the Registrar if you have questions on your status as a National Capital Chapter Approved A Group driver. Students new to NCC must have approval from the Chief Instructor to register for Friday.
NCC offers an A-Solo option for Advanced students. By Advanced students we are looking for students that have approximately 25 days of track experience, have been cleared A-Solo by NCC or another BMW CCA HPDE driving program, and have experience on the track they wish to drive solo on.
NOTE: All students wishing to drive solo, will be approved and confirmed by the Chief Instructor. If you have not been cleared for A-Solo in the past, never driven Solo with NCC or have never driven the track before, you must attend Friday’s training day (the Friday before the HPDE) and be evaluated by our instructors. Following this evaluation, you will be cleared to drive Solo during the Saturday and Sunday HPDE. If you still have questions, please contact the NCC HPDE Registrar.
We plan to provide in-car instruction during this HPDE. If you are not comfortable with in-car instruction, contact the NCC HPDE Registrar prior to registration.
Additional information available on the NCC club website under Programs - HPDE; https://www.nccbmwcca.org/driving-events/high-performance-driving-schools/
You can view the BMW CCA National Covid Policy by clicking this link: BMW National Covid Policy
NCC HPDE Hotel Partners:
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Winchester
142 Foxridge Ln
Winchester, VA 22603
You must call and mention NCC BMW to receive discounted rate of $75/night (includes complimentary breakfast!)
Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town
157 Pimlico Drive
Charles Town, WV 25414
Use Special Rate Corporate Account 0003017424 when booking for the Summit Point Motorsports Park rate
- HANS required for 5 or 6 point harnesses (Driver and Passenger)
- 5 or 6 point harnesses must be no more than 5 years old
- HANS date must be no more than 5 years old
- Instructor self-tech require a peer verification
- No R compound tires for novice students
A current BMW CCA membership is REQUIRED to participate in our HPDEs. New BMW CCA members will receive one $25 discount on HPDE registration, join today! https://cdn.bmwcca.org/static/join/index.html. Please note: Any person living in a current BMW CCA Member's household may be added as a BMW CCA Associate Member for only $10 per year by calling BMW CCA at 1-800-878-9292.
Due to strong demand for space in National Capital Chapter (NCC) HPDEs, we are sometimes unable to accommodate all the students who apply. For HPDEs where registrations exceed our school capacity, we will admit students as outlined below.
Registrations that exceed our HPDE capacity or instructor load will be waitlisted. Students who sign up for a single day will be placed on the waitlist until it is confirmed that we have enough instructors for students signing up for multiple days.
- Multiple Days (Saturday and Sunday or Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)
- Single Day Saturday
- Single Day Friday
Note: We are not offering Sunday Only registrations
Driver age requirements/credentials
- All driver participants must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid driver's license.
- Shorts are permitted; however, long pants are highly recommended while driving on the track for all NCC HPDEs.
- Short sleeve T-shirts are permitted; however, long sleeve shirts or jackets are highly recommended. Sleeveless shirts or tank tops are not permitted.
- No open-toed shoes, sandals or flip flops are permitted while driving on the track.
- Helmets --- Note these requirements --- Must be certified to Snell M- or SA-standards, 2015 or later. Full-face helmets with SA-2015 or later certifications are strongly recommended. The Snell Memorial Foundation’s certification will be found on a sticker inside the helmet.
- Eye protection is strongly encouraged. Either wearing the visor in the closed position or wearing of sun-glasses or other protective lenses.
- All cars (including A-Solo drivers) must have passenger seats and equal restraint systems for both passenger and driver (e.g., if the driver has a five-point harness, the passenger must have a five-point harness as well.) Use of five or six-point harness also requires use of HANS device.
- Trucks, vans, soft-top convertibles, and motorcycles are NOT permitted on track.
- Hybrid and fully electric vehicles are not permitted on track.
- Compact SUVs, including BMW X1, X2, X3, X3M, X4 and X4M; Porsche Macan; Mercedes GLA & GLC, Audi Q3 & Q5, and Subaru Crosstrek are permitted in the Novice and Lower Intermediate run groups only.
- All cars must be quiet enough to allow for in-car communication. Summit Point Motorsports Park has a maximum allowable decibel of 103 for HPDE programs. Your HPDE registered vehicle must be quiet enough to allow appropriate in car, on-track, communication between instructor and student and must also not interfere with communication between other instructors/students on track. If you're not certain if your car is acceptable, test the decibels or contact us.
- If roll bars or cages are installed, they must be fully padded with SFI rated roll bar padding above the level of the front door window sills (anyplace the driver’s/passenger’s head could come in contact with the roll cage).
- Vehicles equipped with Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS), i.e., lane keeping, collision avoidance or auto braking, must have the capability to be completely deactivated. The driver is responsible for turning these off for all HPDE sessions.
- Video recording equipment is permitted; however, in addition to a suction cup or other rigid mount, equipment mounted inside the car must be tethered by a lanyard (i.e. a second means of securing the equipment should the primary mount fail). External mounting is permitted, but must be hard mounted (no suction cup mounts). Additionally, the location must not obstruct the driver’s or instructor’s view, and may not protrude more than six inches from the car.
- The Chief Instructor has the final determination on the safety of all vehicles prior to admittance on track. If you are uncertain, please contact us prior to registration to confirm..
Additional requirements for hard-top convertibles and cars with removable roof panels
- Hard-top convertibles fitted with factory rollover protection (not pop-up) are permitted. This includes BMW Z4 and ND Miatas. Check with the registrar to confirm.
- Convertible race cars with hard tops and full cages are permitted if they are built to BMW Club Racing, PCA Club Racing, or SCCA standards; include passenger seats with equal restraints, and meet the noise requirements listed above.
- Factory installed, or aftermarket roll bars and roll cages must provide 2” inch of clearance above the driver’s head with helmet on. The Height Test may be re-checked at the track. If you do NOT pass this test, you may forfeit your registration fee and not be able to run in the event. The driver should do a “broomstick check” with helmet on before arriving at the track. If you are unsure if your vehicle will qualify, please contact the registrar before you register.
- Hard-top convertible race cars with roll cages require a minimum of 5 point harnesses.
- Drivers of all other vehicles with removable roof panels, please contact the Chief Instructor prior to registration. If approved, these vehicles must run with their roof panels installed.
- Cars must be inspected within 4 weeks of every HPDE by a qualified service facility. A properly completed tech inspection form (supplied) must be presented at the track. It is your responsibility to ensure that your car is safe and road-worthy. If you are bringing a race car, or car not currently inspected for road use, you must present proper race car safety and certification material (i.e., annual race inspection).
- Grid inspections will be performed at the track on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning prior to registration. (Your tech and grid inspection are required to complete registration).
- All students and instructors are required to complete and turn in at registration a medical form with emergency contact information that can be used by event organizers to make any necessary notifications in the unlikely event of an on-track incident or injury. The forms are kept strictly confidential and are destroyed (or returned to the student upon request) following every event.
ATTENTION BMW E36 CAR OWNERS: The original radiator must have been replaced in ANY E36 BMW that drives in our schools. This is a safety issue and not negotiable. Download and read the Tech Inspection form on the NCC website (nccbmwcca.org) for the rules concerning your car. It is your responsibility to understand these rules prior to registration. If you wait too late and cannot meet the radiator requirement before the school, you run the risk of forfeiting part or all of your registration fee based on the Refund Policy noted below.
Prior approval is required for students intending to share cars and for changes in car type after registration!
Student and instructor schedules are finalized approximately fifteen days prior to the event. Our HPDE costs are fixed and based on financial obligations we enter into once you register, and we accept you into the event. Tuition is priced as low as possible based upon your acceptance and attendance.
If you cancel your registration two weeks before the Friday of the relative event, you'll not be charged for your registration. If you cancel your registration between 14 and 7 days before the relative event, you'll receive a 50% refund of your payment. If you cancel your registration within 7 days of the relative event, also known as the 'Freeze' date, you'll receive no refund.
Registrations canceled after 5pm on the Freeze Date, will receive no refund. Cancellation is the responsibility of the registrant and can be executed through MSReg. Notification to the Registrar may be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you fail to attend the HPDE without notifying the Registrar prior to 5:00 p.m. the Friday before the event, you will forfeit your entire tuition for that weekend.
If you damage your car or your car breaks for any reason and you cannot drive or continue in the school, there will be no refund provided for the remainder of the event that is missed. For example, if you run off the track and break your suspension or if your radiator breaks on Saturday morning at 9:00am and you cannot run any more laps that weekend, you will not be reimbursed for any of your event fees for that event.
The National Capital Chapter reserves the right to decline entry to any individual and to any vehicle deemed unsafe or unsuitable for track use.
There will be no exceptions made to these cancellation and refund rules. They have been developed over many years of experience operating NCC driving schools. Please do not ask us to make an exception to your 'unique' situation. Thank you for helping us run a safe and financially successful HPDE program.
Summit Point Motorsports Park Rules and Regulations
You are responsible for following all Summit Point Motorsports Park rules and regulations. You can view them by clicking: Park-Rules-and-Regulations