NCC 2023 Advanced Day and Club Racer Test & TuneSummit Point - Summit Point Circuit
About this event
Advanced HPDE and Club Racer Test & Tune - BMW CCA National Capital Chapter
Summit Point Circuit at Summit Point!!
This is a Friday Only event the day before the BMW CCA New Jersey Chapter's Geoff Atkinson Memorial Driver School and Club Race. This event is open to NCC/NJ Instructors, NCC/NJ Advanced Solo Drivers, and Club Racers.
The current plan is to rotate track time between three run groups
- HPDE requiring Point By passing
- Club Racer not requiring Point By passing
- Another club we are partnering with for the day
Important Update (4/3/2023): Effective immediately, Summit Point Motorsports Park has halted the use of electric and hybrid electric vehicles in all motorsports disciplines at the Summit Point Motorsports Park and Training Facility. Summit Point will no longer allow electric and hybrid electric vehicles to participate in our driving events at Summit Point, to include driving in a HPDE, Time Trials, Autocross, Skidpad, and Club Race.
- Instructors that instructed for NCC in 2022: $0
- Instructors that did not instruct for NCC in 2022: $200
- Advanced/Solo Driver attending NJ event both days (7/15 and 7/16): $250
- Advanced/Solo Driver not attending NJ event both days (7/15 and 7/16): $350
- Club Racers Test & Tune full day: $300
- Club Racers Test & Tune afternoon only: $200
NOTE: Advanced/Solo drivers must have already driven in NCC's Advanced/Solo group or be recommended by NJ's Chief Instructor. We are not accepting new Advanced/Solo drivers for this event.
Registration for the Geoff Atkinson Memorial Driver School: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/summit-point-driver-school-circuit-bmw-cca-new-jersey-606291
Registration for the Geoff Atkinson Memorial Club Race: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/club-race-at-summit-point-9th-g-atkinson-memorial-circuit-bmw-cca-racing-549545
You can view the BMW CCA National Covid Policy by clicking this link: BMW National Covid Policy Update 3 Jun 2021.pdf
- HANS required for 5 or 6 point harnesses (Driver and Passenger)
- 5 or 6 point harnesses must be no more than 5 years old
- HANS date must be no more than 5 years old
- Instructor self-tech require a peer verification
A current BMW CCA membership is REQUIRED to participate in our HPDEs. Join today! https://cdn.bmwcca.org/static/join/index.html. Please note: Any person living in a current BMW CCA Member's household may be added as a BMW CCA Associate Member for only $10 per year by calling BMW CCA at 1-800-878-9292.
Driver age requirements/credentials
- All driver participants must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid driver's license.
- Shorts are permitted; however, long pants are highly recommended while driving on the track for all NCC HPDEs.
- Short sleeve T-shirts are permitted; however, long sleeve shirts or jackets are highly recommended. Sleeveless shirts or tank tops are not permitted.
- No open-toed shoes, sandals or flip flops are permitted while driving on the track.
- Helmets --- Note these requirements --- Must be certified to Snell M- or SA-standards, 2015 or later. Full-face helmets with SA-2015 or later certifications are strongly recommended. The Snell Memorial Foundation’s certification will be found on a sticker inside the helmet.
- Eye protection is strongly encouraged. Either wearing the visor in the closed position or wearing of sun-glasses or other protective lenses.
Club Racer Requirements
This is a test and tune day, the Friday before the July Summit Point BMW Geoff Atkinson Memorial Club Race, with the goal of working on car setup and learning the track if needed. The Club Racer group will have approximately 3+ hours of dedicated track time. A maximum of 40 cars will be allowed.
- All drivers must have a race license to participate in the Club Racer run group.
- Sessions will be run under full race rules (all safety gear is required) with the exception that approved passengers will be allowed (also in full race gear).
- We will have a full complement of corner workers to maximize safety.
- Any unsafe conduct is subject to dismissal with no refund.
- This is testing and absolutely no contact will be tolerated.
- Price is per car and participant. Registered Racers may drive another driver's car if it has been registered, paid and tech'd for this event. Multiple racers sharing a single car- contact the Registrar for additional driver pricing.
- Participation will be limited to approximately 40 cars to maximize quality track time.
- Therefore enrollment is first-come/first-served, and no refunds will be given unless the day fills and your slot is filled by another qualified participant.
- Cancellations within 48 hours prior to the event start will not receive a refund.
- Any on-track activity is performed at your own risk. We will do our best to provide a safe environment, but your safety is ultimately in your hands.
HPDE Vehicle Requirements
- Electric and hybrid electric vehicles are not permitted.
- All HPDE cars (including A-Solo drivers) must have passenger seats and equal restraint systems for both passenger and driver (e.g., if the driver has a five-point harness, the passenger must have a five-point harness as well.) Use of five or six-point harness also requires use of HANS device.
- Trucks, vans and motorcycles are NOT permitted!
- All cars must be quiet enough to allow for in-car communication.
- Summit Point Motorsports Park has a maximum allowable decibel of 103 for HPDE and non-race programs. At the very least, your HPDE registered vehicle must be quiet enough to allow appropriate in car, on-track, communication between instructor and student and must also not interfere with communication between other instructors/students on track. If you're not certain if your car is acceptable, test the decibels or contact us.
- All convertibles, T-tops, targa-tops, or other vehicles with removable tops must run with their tops up / roof panels installed.
- All convertibles, T-tops, targa-tops, race cars, other vehicles with removable tops must be equipped with factory rollover protection (i.e., built-in structural integrity, or be fitted with an approved SCCA / NASA aftermarket roll bar or roll cage).
- Factory installed, or aftermarket roll bars and roll cages must provide 2” inch of clearance above the driver’s head with helmet on (The Height Test may be re-checked at the track. If you do NOT pass this test, you will forfeit your registration fee and not be able to run in the event). If you are unsure if your vehicle will qualify, please contact the registrar before you register.
- Drivers of T-top or targa-top vehicles must provide the manufacturer’s certification of his vehicle’s rollover protection during the registration process. (We do not have this information for all makes and models that present themselves to our events).
- Convertibles or other vehicles with removable tops requires a minimum of 5 point harness. Additionally, the rollover protection must be certified by BMW and must provide 2’’ of clearance above the driver’s (and passenger’s head) with helmets on. If the rollover protection is not certified by BMW or does not provide 2” of clearance over the driver’s head, it requires an SCCA-approved roll bar. Note: Tall drivers typically exceed the 2” requirement unless the factory seats are removed and mounted directly to the floor. The driver should do a “broomstick check” with helmet on before arriving at the track.
- If roll bars or cages are installed, they must be fully padded above the level of the front door windowsills (anyplace the driver’s/passenger’s head could come in contact with the roll cage).
- 2016 or newer vehicles equipped with active driver assisted technology (i.e., lane keeping, collision avoidance or auto braking) must have the capability to be completely deactivated. (These active driver assisted systems must be turned off for all HPDE sessions)
- Video recording equipment is permitted; however, in addition to a suction cup or other rigid mount, equipment mounted inside the car must be tethered by a lanyard (i.e. a second means of securing the equipment should the primary mount fail). External mounting is permitted, as long as the location does not obstruct the driver’s or instructor’s view: cannot come in contact with another vehicle on the track (i.e. on the sides, front or back of your car), or bounce off of the pavement should the suction cups fail (i.e. down low).
- The Chief Instructor has the final determination on the safety of all vehicles prior to admittance on track! If you are uncertain, please contact us prior to registration to confirm.
Tech Inspections for HPDE Run Group
- Cars must be inspected within 4 weeks of every HPDE by a qualified service facility. A properly completed tech inspection form (supplied) must be presented at the track. It is your responsibility to ensure that your car is safe and road-worthy. If you are bringing a race car, or car not currently inspected for road use, you must present proper race car safety and certification material (i.e., annual race inspection).
- Grid inspections will be performed at the track on Friday morning prior to registration. (Your tech and grid inspection are required to complete registration).
- All students and instructors are required to complete and turn in at registration a medical form with emergency contact information that can be used by event organizers to make any necessary notifications in the unlikely event of an on-track incident or injury. The forms are kept strictly confidential and are destroyed (or returned to the student upon request) following every event.
ATTENTION BMW E36 CAR OWNERS: The original radiator must have been replaced in ANY E36 BMW that drives in our schools. This is a safety issue and not negotiable. Download and read the Tech Inspection form on the NCC website (nccbmwcca.org) for the rules concerning your car. It is your responsibility to understand these rules prior to registration. If you wait too late and cannot meet the radiator requirement before the school, you run the risk of forfeiting part or all of your registration fee based on the Refund Policy noted below.
Prior approval is required for students intending to share cars and for changes in car type after registration!
Student and instructor schedules are finalized approximately fifteen days prior to the event. Our HPDE costs are fixed and based on financial obligations we enter into once you register, and we accept you into the event. Tuition is priced as low as possible based upon your acceptance and attendance.
If you cancel your registration two weeks before the Friday of the relative event, you'll not be charged for your registration. If you cancel your registration between 14 and 7 days before the relative event, you'll receive a 50% refund of your payment. If you cancel your registration within 7 days of the relative event, also known as the 'Freeze' date, you'll receive no refund.
Registrations canceled after 5pm on the Freeze Date, will receive no refund. Cancellation is the responsibility of the registrant and can be executed through MSReg. Notification to the Registrar may be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you fail to attend the HPDE without notifying the Registrar prior to 5:00 p.m. the Friday before the event, you will forfeit your entire tuition for that weekend.
If you damage your car or your car breaks for any reason and you cannot drive or continue in the school, there will be no refund provided for the remainder of the event that is missed. For example, if you run off the track and break your suspension or if your radiator breaks on Friday morning at 9:00am and you cannot run any more laps, you will not be reimbursed for any of your event fees for that event.
The National Capital Chapter reserves the right to decline entry to any individual and to any vehicle deemed unsafe or unsuitable for track use.
There will be no exceptions made to these cancellation and refund rules. They have been developed over many years of experience operating NCC driving schools. Please do not ask us to make an exception to your 'unique' situation. Thank you for helping us run a safe and financially successful HPDE program.
Summit Point Motorsports Park Rules and Regulations
You are responsible for following all Summit Point Motorsports Park rules and regulations. You can view them by clicking: Park-Rules-and-Regulations.pdf