GVC Fall Driving School & BMW Club Races
BMW CCA - Genesee Valley Chapter
Registration closed September 23, 2016 11:59 PM on September 23, 2016 11:59 PM EDT Registration ends September 23, 2016 11:59 PM on September 23, 2016 11:59 PM EDT Registration opens January 8, 2016 12:00 AM on January 8, 2016 12:00 AM EST Registration runs from January 8, 2016 12:00 AM to September 23, 2016 11:59 PM
Welcome to GVC's Fall Ultimate Driving School
Stan Parker and Joel Ajavon Memorial BMW Club Races at Watkins Glen
This driving school is the last GVC HPDE in 2016, ending our 32nd season running HPDE's at Watkins Glen. As most of you know, Watkins Glen was completely re-paved from the ground up during the the off-season. By now, many of you "veterans" are already familiar with the "new" track. If this is your first time at Watkins Glen this year (or ever), you are in for some great fun on one of the world's most famous race tracks.
The following lays out who is invited to register for this school, how our driving school is organized, and this year's fee structure. Despite a very hefty increase in track rental fees in 2016, we are happy to tell you that we managed to keep fees reasonable and competitive.
If you are a regular at our schools, if you wish you can skip the rest of this section and jump directly to the registration page. Scroll to the bottom to find the "continue" button. Don't forget to read the waivers and check the boxes before hitting "continue".
GVC's Ultimate Driving School Program offers intensive, personal in-car training to students at all skill levels. Students are assigned to run groups according to prior experience, evaluations (including SLIP ratings) from previous driving schools (if any), vehicle and tire type. At this school, which is being run in conjunction with BMW Club Racing, there will be three (3) student groups: Intermediate, Advanced, and Solo (Group S). Club racers will make up the fourth run group. Each run group will get a minimum of 4 track sessions each day (weather permitting). Highly-trained and experienced in-car instructors are individually assigned to each Advanced and Intermediate student. Between sessions, students attend interactive classroom sessions tailored to their skill level with a senior instructor who teaches the theory and practice of HP driving. Students also learn by example by riding with their instructors during the instructor track sessions. An infield car-control exercise paddock area provides students the chance to practice newly-learned driving techniques and explore the car's limits at lower speeds.
Advanced and intermediate students have only one registration option: the two-day school running on Saturday and Sunday.
The fee for BMW CCA members is $495 per driver. Non-members: $595
Group S (aka Solo, A-Solo) registration is open only to previously approved Group S drivers. Group S drivers in good standing may register for the following options without prior approval or the need for a checkout.
Three-day school, Friday - Sunday: member $735; non-member $835
Two-day school, Friday - Saturday or Saturday - Sunday: member $525; non-member $625
ALL other drivers who have not been previously admitted to Group S should register using the "Group S checkout" option. Checkout students are initially assigned to the Advanced run group (fee: $495), and must undergo the checkout process at the event to be admitted to Group S. Please see the GVC website (link below) for further details on checkout and advancement to Group S.
Group S drivers are afforded the following additional benefits:
- Three hours of scheduled track time per day: Four "private" half-hour sessions in their own run group*, and two additional sessions driving in the advanced, intermediate, or instructor groups.
- Friday open-track day: Group S drivers registering for either the Fri.-Sun. 3-day package, or the Fri.-Sat. 2-day package, drive in "open-track" conditions with the instructors on Friday.
- Group S Track exercises: Modeled after BMW Club Racing School. Close-quarter, side-by-side driving, advanced overtaking exercises, and others according to Group interests.
- Debriefing sessions and tutorial classroom presentations: Group S is a highly interactive run group. Coaches and drivers gather for tutorials on advanced HPD techniques and group debriefs that take the place of traditional classroom sessions, At these meetings, experiences are shared, and driving techniques introduced, compared, debated and critiqued.
For complete details about our HP driving schools, please visit the GVC website
Registration and Fees:
- Members: GVC chapter members are afforded highest priority for seats in our events. BMW CCA members from other chapters are at the next level of priority.
- Non-Members: Registration for non-members is deferred until approximately one month before the registration deadline for each event. Non-members are charged an additional $100 above member fees, and are last to be accepted from a waiting list.
Membership in BMW CCA is only $48 per year. Join today before registering, and avoid the non-member surcharge! http://bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=new_member
- Registration after the deadline is only possible by special arrangement, and only if there are still seats available, or late cancelations (call or email the Registrar: email@example.com).
- Instructors: $100 (per vehicle). Includes Friday orientation day, two sessions Sat & Sun, and three-day shared garage space.
- Fees Include an event shirt, and drink tokens for an informal soiree at the Seneca Lodge Bar Saturday night.
- Registration is not fully confirmed until payment has been received in full.
- Fees are refundable before the deadline, less a 10% cancelation charge.
- Fees may be credited toward a future GVC Driving School to avoid the cancelation charge.
- Fees are non-refundable after the registration deadline unless another student is available to take the vacated slot.
The host hotel is the historic Seneca Lodge (http://www.senecalodge.com/) located at the upper entrance to beautiful Watkins Glen State Park off NY 329. The Lodge is famous for its food and racing heritage. The bar is notable for its collection of over 60 years of racing memorabliia, as well as an extensive selection of fine beverages. Another favorite place to stay very close to the track is the Falls Motel in nearby Montour Falls. http://www.thefallsmotel.com. These lodgings fill quickly, so make reservations early.
Camping at the track: Available. Please contact Watkins Glen International to make a reservation (607) 535-2486)
Off-site camping: Available at nearby Watkins Glen State Park and at other private campgrounds.
Many other lodging options are available in Watkins Glen, from cozy bed-and-breakfasts to the luxurious Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel.
For more information, please consult our website: http://www.gvc-bmwcca.org/Info_About_Watkins_Glen