About this event
Join us for our Fall 2023 Drivers Education (DE) at the VIR full course in Alton, VA!
Our hands-on, high-energy driver education program will give you the experience needed to learn how to drive your car to it's limit. Are you a beginner or starting out? Try Intro to DE for one Saturday session with an instructor. Our full Green and Blue Run Groups offer an assigned instructor who will ride with you in your car to help you learn how to drive your car fast while being safe. Did we mention there are no speed limits? We also have run groups dedicated to solo drivers, and if you are an advanced track driver then you may be suited for one of our higher run groups with fast driving and extended passing (with a point-by) anywhere on the track; please note that we may request verification of experience if you are signed up for an advanced run group.
First Settler’s Region PCA is also a social club, and new participants are welcomed and appreciated by the entire DE community. Although we love our Porsches, we encourage other passenger car marques to participate. Macans and Cayennes are permitted in instructed green and blue groups only, other SUVs and trucks are not permitted. We want everyone to drive safe, be smart, and have a great weekend. As always, it’s not just the cars, it’s the people!
We are using the Speedwaiver on-line waiver signature process for this event; if you don't have a smartphone please let us know and we will have a paper waiver available for you.
Instructors with one student: $295
Instructors with two students: Complimentary (limited slots)
Intro to DE $95
Are you new to DE and on the fence about whether Driver’s Education is for you? Sign up for our "DE INTRO." For $95, we’ll get you out on the track in your car with an instructor for a single session mid-day on Saturday. Cayennes and Macans are approved for this group. Standard DE safety requirements apply, so in addition to a requirement for getting your car tech inspected prior to the event you’ll also need a Snell SA 2020 or SA 2015 rated helmet. FSR has just a few loaner helmets available, so please email the registrar before you sign up if you'd like to borrow one (first come, first served.)
We will be using the TrackKeeper iOS Mobile App. TrackKeeper keeps all data in sync across iOS mobile devices. TrackKeeper is a convenient “At the Track” schedule manager and time tracking tool with a host of handy features. The TrackKeeper App is suitable to manage time and tasks more effectively and efficiently while you enjoy your track day. A must-have for any track day enthusiast! If you don't have an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iTouch), you can access the myTrackKeeper Web App by pointing your mobile browser to: http://www.mytrackkeeper.com
- for FAQ please refer to the event information pack, which includes event specifics and all required forms. DE Student tips can also be found in the Documents section of the PCA FSR website.
- This event is open all drivers 18 and over with a valid state or province-issued driver's license.
- There is no restriction on car make/model. No trucks or SUVs EXCEPT Macans and Cayennes allowed for instructed students (green and blue).
- Cars must pass technical inspections (2023-FSR-Tech-Inspection-Form.pdf ) to show they are safe for track use.
- VIR does not allow convertibles/cabriolets without fixed roll-over protection for both the driver and instructor.
- Convertibles driven without a top up (top up is recommended) require arm restraints for the driver and any instructor and proper eye protection for both driver and instructor. (students--please understand it may be difficult to find instructors willing to ride in an open top car as it makes it more difficult to instruct and weather will be a factor.
- Roll bars and hoops must have coverage (meet the "broomstick test") for both drivers and instructors. Roadsters with a single hoop behind the driver are not allowed except for solo drivers.
- Cars must have fenders for all four wheels. (including Atoms)
- Drivers must wear an approved helmet (SA 2015 or 2020) We do NOT accept M rated helmets of any year.
- Drivers must wear proper clothing. Bring long sleeve T-shirts and long pants of natural fibers as well as closed toe shoes.
- If driving a track/race prepared car (stripped interiors) should consider wearing a racing fire suit.
- If your car is equipped with racing seats, harnesses, and roll/harness bars you must wear a proper Head and Neck Restraint (eg HANS).
- Wristbands will be issued at registration and will be worn the entire event.
- This event will run rain or shine.
- This is NOT a racing event or racing school. Our events focus on learning proper high performance driving techniques that will translate well into both street and track use. Our goal is to provide a safe environment where all participants have fun and return home with their vehicle in the same condition as when they arrived, having learned something new and made a few new friends.
- All the following information, in more detail, is available via links in the DE section of the FSR website Drivers Education – First Settlers Region (fsrpca.org) and will also be in the information package that will be posted at the same link shortly before registration opens.
- When registering, please select your experience based on the following as a guide. We request that you keep your MotorsportReg.com experience profile up to date, particularly which run group you ran with in your most recent events, to assist us in making accurate run group assignments.
- Intro to DE: Never-ever and/or uncertain - A single session in the green group on mid-day Saturday (instructed)
- Green: Novice and Beginner ( typically 0-5 events) (instructed)
- Blue: Lower-Intermediate (typically 5-10 events) (LIMITED INSTRUCTED, primarily group-instructed solo)
- White: Upper intermediate Solo and advanced (typically 10-40 events with documented solo exp)
- Black: Upper advanced Solo and instructor overflow (typically 40+ events) (expended passing rules apply)
- Red: Instructors Only (expanded passing rules apply)
- PLEASE NOTE: Instructed green/blue students will be confirmed only as we build our instructor team; please reach out to the registrar (email@example.com) if you have questions or concerns.
- Your preferred car number will be requested in the car info section of the registration form in your account profile. If there are repeat numbers within a run group, we'll give priority to regular FSR instructors and drivers and then based on registration date and assign alternate numbers as appropriate. Number assignments can be a particularly painful evolution, so please ensure your selection and alternate choices are correct. Popular numbers are those that are easy to create using tape, so 1, 7, 0 and any combination of these are too popular and will guarantee conflicts, so pick something more unusual if you want to get it every time.
- All cars must have numbers at least 8 inches high on each side of the car in a bright, easy to read contrasting color. Shoe polish on windows, although a less preferred method, is permitted, but the color must be bright and visible by the corner workers. Blue painter tape is acceptable but must be visible (light green painters tape is also available for darker cars or on tinted windows) and you must check regularly that it stays adhered to your car as it is prone to blowing off. Full event participants must provide their own numbers. Numbers will only be available for "Intro to HPDE" students if requested.
- All participants (instructors included) must have a tech inspection completed within 30 days of the event and bring their completed tech form with them to the track. The inspection must be performed by a qualified mechanic (i.e. a professional) or club tech inspector and the form filled out, signed and stamped by the mechanic/inspector (if they have a stamp). The form will be signed and turned in at initial Track Tech. The tech form and specifics about how tech is conducted at the track for each run group is in the event info pack, available with all other docs and forms at the FSR website link below.
- All participants, staff, and guests must sign the event insurance waiver at track registration. Everyone will also be required to sign VIR’s waiver at the main entrance when they arrive and then again with the PCA registrar. Nobody should be in the Paddock without a PCA issued wristband on.
- Firearms are not allowed during track events. No alcohol or recreational drugs while cars are on track/the track is hot.
- Camping and paddock power can be arranged through VIR. Please contact them directly for info. The Event Information Packet will have lodging information. Camping in your car trailer in the paddock is not permitted without paying VIR the nightly camping fee.
- Please bring your own copies of the required forms - which are listed in the event info pack located on the PCA FSR website.
- Email updates will be provided to all registered participants when final run group and car numbers are assigned or new documents are posted online, i.e. the event schedule and instructor assignments. If you have an issue with your group assignment, please contact the Registrar immediately after receiving your assignment.
- Instructors: If you've instructed with FSR since 2008, you should have the “Instructor Entry” option available to register on the online registration form. If this option is not available and you have instructed with us in the past, please email the DE Registrar BEFORE YOU REGISTER so that we can add you to our instructor list. If you have never instructed with FSR, please provide your credentials/references via email to the DE Registrar or Chief Track Instructor BEFORE YOU REGISTER. We will then add you to our list and the instructor option will become available to you online. In either case, you must have FSR on your list of clubs in your Motorsportreg.com profile for the registrar to add you as an instructor.
- Please double-check your email address and update your information to assure you don't miss anything important!
Cancellation/Refund Policy: Credit Cards are billed AT THE TIME OF CONFIRMATION.
- Cancellations made before 1 September 2023 will incur a 6% fee if you cancel after being confirmed for the event.
- Cancellations between from 1 September until 21 September 2023 will incur a $100 fee if you cancel after being confirmed for the event.
- Cancellations after 21 September 2023 will not receive a credit or refund.
- No-shows will NOT receive a credit or refund.
THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO OUR CANCELLATION/REFUND POLICY.
- If you have any questions or are not sure how to proceed, please email the DE Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we'll steer you in the right direction. Thanks for your cooperation.