About this event
BMW CCA - Delaware Valley Chapter - Event Sponsored by Otto's BMW
Join us August 15th and 16th, 2020 at New Jersey Motorsports Park/ Lightning Course for the Delaware Valley Chapter BMW CCA 12th Annual Lightning Driver's School.
When: Saturday August 15 - Sunday August 16
Where: New Jersey Motorsports Park/ Lightning Course
Join us for a weekend of FUN! We are working hard to keep the high standards of our usual events with as much track time as possible. This event is open to drivers who have attended at least one driving school. Due to current NJ and national BMW CCA requirements, we cannot offer our usual in-car instruction. Things could change and we will be sure to keep you updated, but as of right now we will have a novice lead-follow group and intermediate/advanced solo group. We will have modified outdoor classroom sessions and expect to have plenty of instructors to help out, including lead/follow exercises and off-track discussions of on-track sessions.
PLEASE NOTE: We will have new COVID-19 policies and procedures in an attempt to keep everybody safe and ensure as much social distancing as possible. We will send you notification when these policies and procedures are finalized. We will also not be collecting payment until the week of the event.
Last day to register:
Thursday, Aug 13, 2020
Student Cost for Saturday/Sunday: $445.00
Instructor Cost for Saturday/Sunday: $195.00
Young drivers (under age 25) are eligible for a $50 discount at Del Val events (proof of age is required, not combinable with other discounts.)
If this is your first time registering for and attending a DelVal Chapter BMW CCA HPDE, get a $50 credit to your MotorsportReg account!
Shirts - A commemorative event t-shirt is often included in our events. We reserve the right to substitute an item other than a t-shirt. Commemorative items are not a guaranteed element of your registration.
Please keep in mind that this is not a racing school but rather a high speed driving school, conducted on a race track under close supervision by experienced instructors. You will learn how to handle and control your vehicle at speeds not normally attained on public roads. This will help to prepare you for emergencies in normal driving. It will also allow you to explore your capabilities as a driver and those of your vehicle.
At no time will you be pushed or encouraged to go any faster than is comfortable for you. All participants will be organized into run groups in accordance with experience, skill, and type of vehicle. Participants not "signed off" will be required to drive with an instructor on board.
The Delaware Valley Chapter has developed a STUDENT HANDBOOK especially designed for the novice student. If you are a new Driver School Participant, we urge you to read this material to familiarize yourself with the program, safety issues and concerns and to obtain a better understanding of our events for your benefit and for the benefit of your fellow participants.
Pre-event tech inspection and registration for the prior evening will be announced and will also be at the track on Saturday morning (15th).
Cars with automatic braking and/ or lane drift correction systems will not be permitted to participate unless the systems can be fully turned off for the track sessions; proof that the systems can be turned off must be provided (i.e., information in Owner's Manual, etc.)
Be sure to visit the Chapter website, www.delvalbmwcca.org to read the Track Bulletins and Driver School event materials thoroughly.
See you at the track!!!
Everyone must read, understand and accept the WAIVER & RELEASE FORM prior to registering to participate in a Delaware Valley Chapter Driver School. The WAIVER & RELEASE FORM can be viewed above or downloaded from the Chapter Website.
Please review the following information that is applicable to 2020 Delaware Valley Chapter Driver Schools:
- Participation in Delaware Valley Chapter Driver Schools is limited to BMW CCA Members only. Proof of BMW CCA Membership is required and may be verified. Join BMW CCA on line <http://bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=new_member> or call the National Membership toll free number 1-800-878-9292. However,while we strongly encourage membership, non-BMW CCA members are welcome to participate for their FIRST event. Membership is required for participation in all subsequent events.
- Participants must be 18 yrs old or more and hold a valid Driver's License. This may be verified at registration at the track.
- We recommend that you have your vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic no more than 30 days prior to the date of the event.
- You must present your completed Tech Form http://www.delvalbmwcca.org/_Upload/DrivingSchoolForms/studenttechform.pdf to the tech inspector prior to event registration at the track. (Do not mail your Tech to the registrar.)
- Once your Tech Form has been approved by the tech inspector, you must present the form and your completed medical form http://www.delvalbmwcca.org/_Upload/DrivingSchoolForms/delvalmedform.pdf to the registrar to obtain your registration packet.
- We require equal passenger restraint (minimum 3 point).
- This is a driver's education school and is not practice for any racing or speed contest. All participants are required to attend classroom sessions to learn vehicle dynamics and driving techniques. These sessions will continue throughout the day to help you understand the fine art of high speed driving. Failure to attend as required will result in loss of driving privileges.
- Clothing - long sleeves & long pants are required, we recommend cotton or natural fibers. SNELL 2010 OR NEWER HELMETS REQUIRED.
- Helmet - The state of New Jersey requires a full-face helmet with face shield installed (you do not have to use the face shield in a closed-top car). Open-face helmets are not permitted for this event. Snell 2010 or newer helmets required.
- Seatbelts - The state of New Jersey requires that aftermarket belts be less than 2 years old (SFI approval) and less than 5 years old (FIA Approval).
- Cars must be muffled.
- After-market window tinting / rear & side glass - you must be able to see through the vehicle while standing 20 feet away. Since it may be difficult to assess whether your aftermarket window tinting is allowed it is strongly recommended that if you have any doubts that you contact Tech Chairman, Dave Somma, prior to the event to have the tinting inspected and approved. email@example.com
- SUV's are not eligible. If you're not sure if your vehicle qualifies, contact Tech Chairman, Dave Somma, prior to the event.
- No Convertible Cars Allowed
NJ Motorsports Park Track procedures include a GUEST POLICY. During non-spectator events, the track is closed to the general public. In order for non-participants to be admitted to the facility, you must furnish the Event Chair with the guest's name prior to the event. Please refer to the Guest policy for further details. (Event Chair Jason Hiester e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org )
There are several track bulletins, as well as other forms, available here: http://www.delvalbmwcca.org/DrivingSchool/Forms.aspx that have been generated to provide you with valuable information about the operation of our events. All Instructors & Students are responsible to be familiar with this information.
• Due to COVID-19 we are instituting a liberal cancellation policy. If you have symptoms or test positive before the event we will refund or credit you as below regardless of date.
• Fees are refundable through August 8th, subject to a 10% charge to cover processing costs.
• Fees can be credited toward a future DelVal Chapter Driving School within one calendar year to avoid the processing charge.
• Fees are non-refundable after August 8th, unless another student is on the Waitlist to take the vacated slot, in which case the 10% processing charge still applies.
Event Registrar: Lisa Mellott, 4 Cricket Lane, Westport, CT 06880 - E-mail address email@example.com - Evening Phone - 203-858-0262
Pre-event tech inspection and registration will be at the track on Saturday, August 15th starting at 7:00 a.m. (Registration and event tech inspection on the evening before the event will be announced closer to the date of the event).
Be sure to visit the Chapter website, www.delvalbmwcca.org where any event updates, Track Bulletins and other Driver School event forms and information may be found.
Wait List – Student applications are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis, provided all eligibility requirements have been met. There are a limited number of Student spaces available for our events. This number may vary from one venue to another. Additionally - Students are divided by Run Groups (Novice, Intermediate & Advanced) based upon the experience level of the Student. If we receive event applications after a Run Group is full, a Wait List will be created. Wait listed applicants will be accepted on a first cone first serve basis if a vacancy is created due to a cancelation. The event registrar will inform you of your status (confirmed or waitlist) approximately one month before the event.
When you are ready to register, click continue.