About this event
CANCELLED - Please consider PittRace July 31-Aug 2 instead!
ARPCA High Performance Driver Education (HPDE) event at Watkins Glen International
Saturday and Sunday, May 2-3, 2020
Advanced Solo Lapping (ASL) event, Friday, May 1, 2020
Drive your car on the same track as many of the great road racers throughout history! Watkins Glen International (WGI) is located in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York.
Are you new to track driving? Never driven with ARPCA? We have a long history of making everyone feel welcome! All ARPCA HPDE events are a great opportunity to drive your car on a world-class track, enhance your driving skills, have fun with a great bunch of people, and make new friends!
There will be a Track Tour Friday evening, starting at 5:25 pm led by one of our senior instructors. While focused on track orientation for new drivers, everyone is welcome to attend. Contact Carol at email@example.com with questions.
**Please note that ARPCA has no affiliation with the link to a "Virtual Track Walk" on the right side of the page, under "Venue". This link is a for-profit tutorial produced by a private entity intended for advanced drivers, and those who will be racing at Watkins Glen. ARPCA does not endorse nor recommend this product for novice/beginner drivers attending our HPDE.
Advanced Solo Lapping (ASL) event
Advanced Solo Lapping is Friday. Instructors are not provided, A high level of track driving experience and skill is required to qualify. ASL drivers are also required to register for the weekend DE. The events are not sold separately.
Approved ARPCA Instructors are automatically accepted. If you have previously attended an ARPCA ASL event at this track you will be accepted.
For all others, indicate your interest in attending ASL when completing the registration form. Please make sure your logbook of experience in your member profile is up to date. We will use this to evaluate your ability to qualify. We may also ask for a recommendation from the Chief Driving Instructor (CDI) most familiar with your track driving experience. We will contact you by e-mail if we need your CDI’s contact information. We are very careful to only have qualified participants at ASL. This precaution insures the enjoyment but primarily the safety of those who will be sharing the track on Friday.
If you are not currently an approved instructor for ARPCA and would like to instruct for us at this event, please contact David Palmer (ARPCA CDI) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Costs and Options
- Driver Registration: $465
- Instructor Registration: $100
- ASL event: $250
- Garage Rental: $125
Payment and Refunds
Our payment policy: We charge your card immediately upon registration.
You may cancel your registration through MotorSportReg.com and the Track team will process any credits in a few days.
Our Refund policy:
* Cancellation fee through March 24, 2020: $25
* Cancellation fee Mar 25, 2020, through Apr 11, 2020: $100
* No refund after Apr 11, 2020
* No refund for mechanical failure
* No refund for failing tech inspection
* No refund for weather
* No refund if track management closes the circuit
More history of Watkins Glen International (WGI):
Since the opening of the circuit in 1956, WGI has hosted innumerable sports-car racing series. It was the home of the United States Formula 1 Grand Prix from 1961 through 1980. WGI is truly an iconic road racing track that enjoys a well-deserved reputation as one of the finest road circuits in the world. We utilize the full 3.4 mile Grand Prix circuit.
Safety information for 2020
Basic Safety and Tech Information
PLEASE NOTE: head and neck restraint device is required for all cars with
harnesses that go over both shoulders (typically 5-point or 6-point)
Please review the following as there are changes from last year:
- HELMET – 2010, 2015 or 2020 SNELL SA or M rating REQUIRED with SNELL sticker attached. SNELL SA (Special application) standard strongly recommended but SNELL M (Motorcycle) helmets are acceptable. DOT-rated helmets are not permitted. Please do not arrive with a SNELL 2005-rated or DOT helmet as you will not be allowed to participate per PCA Minimum Standards.
SEATBELTS – As a minimum the vehicle shall have original, unmodified, 3-point seat belts installed by the manufacturer. If you have chosen to install 5-point or 6-point harnesses, be mindful that proper installation will require several changes to create a safe occupant system. Harnesses must include an anti-submarine strap and be mounted in an approved manner consistent with the harness manufacturer instructions. The harnesses must be used in conjunction with seats that were manufactured with routing holes for the shoulder belts and anti-submarine belts. Equal restraint systems are required for both driver and passenger. Harnesses will be checked for expiration date compliance.
- If you have 5-pt / 6-pt harnesses, or a harness system going over both shoulders, a head and neck restraint is required!
- If you have anything other than original, factory supplied seat belts, or 5-pt / 6-pt harnesses installed, please contact email@example.com to review your particular situation.
- HEAD and NECK RESTRAINTS - if the above indicates that a head and neck restraint device is required, it must meet the standards of either SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 or its successor.
- SEATING REQUIREMENTS – All participant vehicles must have TWO seats with equal restraints for driver and passenger. This applies to all run groups including instructors.
- CONVERTIBLES – All “non-fixed-metal” roof cars must have original, unmodified, factory-installed rollover protection (e.g. 996 and later Cabriolets, Boxsters) or a proper roll bar that passes the “broomstick test”. Convertibles will run with the top up or occupants will wear arm restraints.
- AGE – Drivers must be at least 18 years old and possess a valid driver’s license.
- SHARING A VEHICLE – Two drivers sharing a vehicle must be registered in two different run groups. Both drivers cannot be novices.
- VEHICLE SAFETY – The driver is responsible for proper preparation and operation of their vehicle. All registered drivers must print and bring ARPCA’s Vehicle Safety Inspection (VSI) form ARPCA VSI form 2020, which must be completed and signed by a third-party automotive repair/inspection facility no more than 30 days before the event. All non-instructor-driven vehicles will also be required to pass tech inspection at the track. No refunds will be given for failure to pass tech inspection. You may remedy failed items and resubmit your vehicle for approval.
- INSTRUCTOR OPINIONS WITH REGARD TO SAFETY TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER STUDENT OPINIONS – The instructor assigned to the student will have final say regarding the operation of the vehicle while on track. This encompasses the student's driving and operation of the vehicle and its’ equipment (whether original or aftermarket). Be advised that the Chief Driving Instructor is likely to side with your instructor, rather than you, in matters involving a difference of opinion regarding the operation of the vehicle on track.
- VEHICLES NOT PERMITTED – All open-wheeled cars are prohibited. Cars with fenders attached to the suspension and not attached to the body of the car in at least two locations are prohibited.
Contact the ARPCA Safety/Tech chairman at Safety@ARPCA.com with any questions about the suitability of a vehicle.
Tell us about your abilities:
In order to place you in the correct run group, please make sure your driving resume is up to date in MotorSportReg.com. A suggested format is below:
External Driving Resume:
Date / Duration / Club / Track / Run Group
4/23/17 (1 day) Mini Pgh @ PittRace D group
5/9/17 (2 days) ARPCA @ Watkins Glen D group
6/15/17 (2 days) RTR PCA @ Summit Main Green group
9/10/17 (2 days) ARPCA @ Mid-OH promoted to C group
5/5/18 (2 days) BMW @ PittRace group 3
7/15/18 (2 days) ARPCA @ PittRace C group
8/8/18 (2 days) ARPCA@ PittRace C group
Please make sure your logbook of experience in your member profile is current. We use this information to evaluate your experience and track driving abilities to correctly place you into your proper run group.