About this event
This is another add to the the schedule based on popular demand. We will be focusing on the fun elements of skill development and those who have taken the class before are welcome to come back and build on your skills. Driving is a tactile skill, and without practice, it becomes dull and your responsiveness to unusual circumstances on the road declines.
The Advanced Driving Skills School (ADSS) is designed to help you improve your driving skills and to learn about vehicle dynamics. The school's dual purpose is to prepare students for our High Performance Driving School and to teach skills useful in everyday driving situations.
The school is held in a large parking lot at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, using plastic pylons/cones to provide a safe learning environment for these low to moderate speed maneuvers. The skid pad area is operated under a sprinkler system to reduce grip, reduce tire wear and enable low-speed practice of the exercises. Please note: this is a driver education school and is not practice for any racing or speed contest.
Information for Students
UPDATE: We now require all attendees and guests to be fully vaccinated for Covid 19 by the date of this event in order to attend. If you are or will be, fully vaccinated by the date of the event and can show proof of your vaccine at our on site registration (Vax card or photo of it) and you have no concern about a fully vaccinated instructor joining you in your car then you are all set. Note: We consider “fully vaccinated” to mean that you’ve had 1 or 2 vaccination shots as specified by the vaccination provider and you’ve been symptom free for 2 weeks after your last shot.
If you are not vaccinated and or can not be by the event date and are not comfortable riding with a vaccinated instructor then unfortunately, you will not be eligible to attend this event. We do hope that, over time, these restrictions will evolve to a point where we can remove the vaccine requirement but for now we apologize if this means that you won't be able to join us for this event.
We understand that for some of our attendees this will be disappointing but our team wishes to offer the best high performance driving training possible and a return to safe in-car instruction is the best way to achieve this.
Please be advised we are still monitoring the CDC and State guidelines and that means we may still require wearing masking and/or social distance. Details to be finalized as we near the event.
There are a very limited number of student slots available for this event.
Plan to arrive at NHMS by 8:00 AM and to leave by 5:00 PM at the latest.
Description of Exercises
THEORY - The day begins with a "chalk talk," in which our expert instructors explain vehicle dynamics, the techniques students will be taught, and summarize the exercises for the day. Prior to the school, students should read the curriculum (courtesy of our friends in the White Mountain Chapter) for an in-depth understanding of what the school will cover.
BRAKING - The braking exercises allow students to learn braking with ABS, threshold braking, braking and turning, and both single and double emergency lane changes. These life saving accident avoidance maneuvers prepare students for numerous real-world situations.
SKID PAD - The practical exercises include spending part of the day on our skid pad and figure eight courses, learning about: understeer, oversteer, throttle steering, secondary weight transfer effects, "the line", and power-slides. These basic building blocks are key to learning how to bring your car under control, when the unexpected happens.
COMBINED EXERCISE - At the end of the day, we offer a fun-filled combined exercise that allows the students to practice all the skills that they have learned throughout the day. Students demonstrate braking while turning, inducing rotation, countering understeer and oversteer, and other techniques by navigating through this challenging course.
Attendance at a Boston Chapter Advanced Driving Skills School is strongly recommended for anyone who is attending their first Boston Chapter Driving School, hence the discount available to students who sign up for their first HPDE, and first priority for enrollment will be given to those entered as novices in Boston Chapter Driving Schools. Other applicants will be accepted, on a space available basis.
|ADSS - 1 Day School|
Membership in the BMWCCA is requried, but you don’t need to own a BMW to be part of the club and participate in our Driving Events! We offer a huge variety of events to our community all across the country, making club membership a rewarding and worthwhile experience. Annual membership costs $48 and includes a subscription to the fantastic BMW CCA magazine, Roundel.
If you are not a member you can apply at the link below and then return to this page and enter your new membership number. The BMW CCA website will provide your membership number immediately with your enrollment.
For questions regarding registration or Driving Schools in general, please email the registrar using the "Contact Host" button on the right side of this page.
• Drivers must be at least 18 years old at the time of the event and possess a valid state, provincial, or international driver’s license.
• Cars of all marques are welcome at Boston BMW CCA events.
• All cars must be in good working order. It is recommended that all vehicles be safety inspected by a qualified individual/mechanic prior to the event. This inspection should occur within three weeks prior to the event. Each entrant/driver is solely responsible for insuring that his/her vehicle is safe prior to arriving at the event. Failure of any vehicle to pass an on-site safety check will disqualify its driver(s) from participation in the event and your entry fee will be forfeited.
- Pre Event Safety Inspection Once again for 2021 a number of our supporting Independent BMW Service Shops have offered to provide pre-track inspection services free of charge to our club members as a means to make attending a driving school easier and safer. You can, of course, still go to your shop of choice for a pre-event tech inspection and or inspect your own vehicle if you are qualified. The following is a list of our supporting inspection shops in alphabetical order.
- Ace Performance - Tewksbury MA
- EuroTech Motorsports - Natick MA
- German Performance Service - Brighton MA
- Landshark Automotice - Natick MA
- Northshore MotorWerks - Peabody MA
- Schneller BMW - Newbury MA
- Turner Motorsport - Amesbury MA
- Wile Motorsport - Walpole MA
At the event you'll need:
• Seat belts are mandatory and must be securely anchored to the floor and/or stock mountings.
• Only vehicles suitable for aggressive maneuvers will be allowed. All registered street legal passenger cars are approved. Race-prepared vehicles will be permitted at the discretion of the event chairperson. Trucks, SUVs, or other tall or high center of gravity vehicles will not be allowed. Please contact the registrar if you have a question as to the suitability of your vehicle.
• Exercises will be conducted on a partially wet surface and without significant heat build up in the brakes. Plan accordingly - you may not want to prepare your car the same as you would for a dry track day. Functioning wipers will be useful!
• You will NOT need a helmet.
Due to the limited number of student slots available for this event, we anticipate that there will be more registrations than we can admit, hence a Wait-List will be created. Applications will be admitted from the Wait-List on a first come, first serve basis.
1. You must read and agree to the conditions of the waiver at the time of registration on Motorosportreg.com.
2. All participants and guests will be required to sign a waiver at the race track’s gate upon arrival.
3. All participants will be required to sign the BMW CCA waiver of liability at event check-in.
4. ALL guests must sign the BMW CCA waiver immediately upon arrival. This should be done at the Boston Chapter’s administration desk. A guest wristband will be issued to indicate compliance. It is the responsibility of all participants to ensure that their guests comply with this requirement.
5. A separate waiver is required for minors (guests/persons under 18 years old). Both parents or legal guardians of minors under 18 years old are required to sign a Minor Waiver upon entering the event premises. If either parent or legal guardian is not present at the event, this waiver must be signed and notarized prior to the event by the parent(s) / guardian(s) not at the event and presented to the Boston Chapter administration on arrival at the event. Please contact the registrar to receive a copy of this form prior to the event.
• For answers to questions regarding student registration, or our Driving Events in general, please email the registrar using the "Contact Host" button on the right side of this page.
• If you are an instructor for other chapters or car clubs, but have never instructed for the Boston Chapter, please contact the instructor registrar.