About this event
Welcome to the 44th YEAR of the VARAC Vintage Grand Prix!
Please plan to join us for the 44th running of the VARAC Vintage Grand Prix being held June 13 - 16, 2024 on the Mosport Grand Prix track at the Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.
Classes for our event include Vintage (pre 1962), Historic (pre 1973), Classic (pre 1999), Modern Classic (pre 2006); Formula Classic (open wheel/ Monoposto race cars pre 2006) and Formula Ford Challenge Series (FFCS) racers. In addition, the Toyo Tires F1600 Championship Series will be joining us. There should be something for everyone – vintage & classic sedans & sports cars and a wide assortment of formula cars and sportsracers. It promises to be a great weekend of vintage racing.
Our feature marque will be Porsche! As such we sent out a special invitation to all those that run Porsches or Porsche powered cars, Vintage, Historic, Classic, Modern Classic; closed and open wheel specials-all are welcome! If you race a Porsche or a Porsche “special”, you won’t want to miss this.
As the feature marque, there will be a special “All Porsche” race (closed wheel cars).
We also welcome Volvo racers from across NA. If we get enough entrants here, we will run a special “all Volvo’ race.
Thursday, June 13 is a Track Orientaton/Test Day, open to competitors looking to learn the circuit; or, if you’re just coming back to racing use these sessions “to shake off the cobwebs”; or, to test. Please note that drivers that have not run on the Mosport Grand Prix track previously must attend the Test Day, or receive a waiver from the Race Director (firstname.lastname@example.org). Videos and notes on driving CTMP/Mosport will be posted – first timers are encouraged to study these.
Street Lapping sessions will be offered Thurs as part of Test Day.
SOME NOTES RE RUN GROUPS & SPECIAL RACES:
- We are limiting run groups for P,Q and Race to 50 entries. This may require us to institute wait lists for some of our groups. Please register early so we can adjust the groups to allow as many entries as possible to run.
- We are grouping our Vintage-Historic & Classic/Modern Classic entries based on LAP TIMES, not engine displacement or “production car class". This ensures great, competitive racing. When registering please select the run group with the appropriate lap/bracket times. If you don't know what your lap time is likely to be, please look at the list of entrants and place yourself with comparable cars. You will be able to change run groups after Friday or Saturday's sessions if you feel you are in the wrong group. We will provide more guidance on this and you will be able to adjust your group. If you need help on this please contact the Race Director (email@example.com). Note, if you are a VARAC VHX please align with a bracket (i.e. VH 4X).
- The Formula Classic group will NOT be using lap times, but will be classed by formula/vehicle type. (ex-Formula Juniors will be one class). Please contact the Race Director (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you are uncertain as to how your car should be classed.
- We will be running some Special Races, as follows:
- The “all Porsche” race open to all Porsche closed wheel cars (<2500 lbs).
- The "all Volvo" race open to all Volvo closed wheel cars (<2500 lbs).
- The Rudy Bartling Nation's Cup. This will be a Porsche “against the rest of the world (RoW)” race. The race is a race to 10 – the first side, Porsche or RoW to get 10 cars across the finish line scores the win.
More details will follow. Open to VH cars and Classic cars < 2500 lbs. Note we may have to do some sorting at the event, but please enter as either Porsche or RoW.
- The Ludwig Heimrath Open Wheel Challenge – basically an “all comers” race for open wheel cars.
- MG vs Triumph Challenge Race for these longtime UK rivals including award of the Tony Simms Cup for MG’s
Please register for these, as applicable.
We have a full program of off-track evening events, as follows:
On both Wednesday (new this year!) and Thursday evening will be barbeques (with beer) followed by live rock’n’roll music (details to follow). We’re feeding you every night!
On Friday evening is the Johnny Greenwood Banquet in the CTMP Conference Centre (cash bar), followed by live rock’n’roll music in the lower paddock provided by our very own eclectic house band, Fun Comes Fast.
On Saturday evening we have the CPS Paddock Crawl. The paddock Crawl involves 3 stations in the paddock; one for wings & ribs (and beer), another for submarine sandwiches (and beer) and the last stop Mudmen band at the top of the hill (or another beer if you are so inclined). Sponsored by CPS Flooring.
The barbeque, banquet and paddock tour are included for a driver and crew with your entry fee.
Off track on Sunday, Fathers' Day, is the always popular Field of Dreams Car Show and car parade.
We also welcome, as always. Mini Meet North-lot’s of great Mini’s to see.
As we get closer to the event we will post regulations, waivers, schedules and additional information such as Bring a Racecar From Outside Canada, How to Drive Mosport etc. at VARAC.CA
One note – many will be registering early with ’23 Race Licence info – please make a note to update your registration when you receive your ’24 licence. Thanks.
Questions on the event? Contact Peter Lambrinos at email@example.com.
Race entrants (ex Toyo F1600) must meet one of the following licensing requirements:
- hold a current VARAC VMC Licence,
- be a VARAC member with a current CASC-OR or FASQ Racing Licence,
- hold a current FSAQ Licence with CVQ membership
- hold a current VMC license or be members of a recognized Vintage Race Club
- Hold a current Porsche Club of America (PCA) competition licence
CASC-OR or FSAQ licensed entrants (or other current race licensed drivers) will be accepted at the VARAC Race Director’s discretion for this event. Contact Dave Good firstname.lastname@example.org
Toyo Tire F1600 entrants must meet the licencing and membership requirements set by their series.
Drivers for the Street Car Lapping require only a valid provincial driving license in good standing.
- Unless you are doing the Street Car Lapping on Thursday, June 14, all Drivers must hold a valid membership with a Vintage Motorsports Council club, as well as a valid competition licence. Canadian competitors must use a competition license issued by VARAC, CASC-OR, OR another organization under ASN Canada. Non-Canadian entrants must use a recognized VMC competition licence. Non-vintage racers will not be permitted to enter the event.
- "Special Group" entrants must meet the licencing and membership requirements set by their series.
- Drivers for the Street Car Lapping require only a valid provincial driving license in good standing.