About this event
Welcome to the 42nd YEAR of the VARAC Vintage Grand Prix!
Please plan to join us for the 42nd running of the VARAC Vintage Grand Prix being held June 16 - 19, 2022 on the Mosport Grand Prix track at the Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.
As we plan this event the restrictions and regulations that may face us due to the COVID-19 pandemic are not known. We are planning that travel restrictions will be minimum and people will be comfortable coming and participating in our event. We will of course follow all protocols and restrictions in place at the time of the event and we will undertake to provide regular correspondence with all entrants and interested persons so you may make your own decision regarding your attendance and safety.
Classes for our event include Vintage (pre 1962), Historic (pre 1973), Classic (pre 1999), Formula Classic (open wheel/ Monoposto race cars built up to 1999) and the Formula Ford Challenge Series. In addition, the Toyo Tires F1600 Championship Series will be joining us. There should be something for everyone - classic sedans, vintage sports cars, and a wide assortment of formula cars. It promises to be a great weekend of vintage racing.
Our feature marque will be MG! As such we send out a special invitation to all MG racers and welcome MG cars of all types - PreWar, T series. A’s B’s C’s, GT’s, V8’s –“bring em” all. We welcome MG Vintage Racers who have designated this event as a Focus Event. There will be a special “all-MG” Race. Also the VVGP weekend will kickoff a fantastic five day gathering/meet for MG enthusiasts - MG 2022 - in Peterborough (June 19-23) (https://mgtoronto.com/mg2022/)
We also welcome the Formula Ford Challenge Series (FFCS) as a run group at this event. FFCS is an Eastern US & Canadian series for Formula Fords running under vintage race rules.
Thursday, June 16 is a Test Day open to competitors looking to gain experience on this world class circuit. Please note that drivers that have not run on the Mosport Grand Prix track previously must attend the Test Day, or receive a waiver from the Race Director. Videos and notes on driving CTMP/Mosport will be posted - first timers are encouraged to study these.
Street Lapping sessions will be offered Thurs as part of Test Day.
RUN GROUPS for 2022 - once again, we are limiting run groups for practice and qualifying sessions to 40 entries. This may require us to institute wait lists for some of our groups. Please register early so we can adjust the groups to allow as many entries as possible to run.
RUN GROUPS for 2022 - we are grouping our Vintage-Historic entries based on LAP TIMES, not engine displacement. When registering please select the run group with the appropriate lap times. If you don't know what your lap time is likely to be, please look at the list of entrants and place yourself with comparable cars. You will be able to change run groups following Friday's sessions (Practice in the morning and Qualifying in the afternoon) and again after Saturday's races if you want to. More details to follow...
The Formula Classic group will NOT be using lap times, but will be classed by formula/vehicle type. (For example Formula Juniors will be one class). Please contact the Race Director if you are uncertain as to how your car should be classed.
We will be running some Special Races, as follows:
- The “all MG” race as mentioned, and
- The Nation's Cup, pitting the home base of our feature marque (MG) ie the UK (the "Brits") up against "the Rest of the World" (RoW). This will involve the Brits on one side of the grid vs an opponent from the RoW on the other side- You race your opponent.(Triumph racers-this is your chance to race with MG’s, but you’re on the same team in this one!) Each pair will score a point per win and the winning side will all be on the podium! More details will follow with event Supp Regs. Open to VH cars and Classic cars > 2500 lbs. Note we may have to do some sorting at the event
- an Open Wheel Challenge - basically an “all comers” race for open wheel cars.
Please register for these, as applicable.
VMC Membership required for 2022 - all entrants, other than our Toyo Tire F1600 Championship guests, MUST be a member in good standing of a Vintage Motorsports Council club. Non-vintage club racers will not be permitted to enter this event without the approval of the Race Director.
Off track on Friday evening is the Johnny Greenwood Banquet in the CTMP Conference Centre (cash bar), followed by live rock’n’roll music in the lower paddock provided by our very own eclectic house band, Fun Comes Fast/Money Pox Music Box.
Off track on Saturday evening we have the CPS Paddock Crawl. The paddock Crawl involves 3 stations in the paddock; one for wings & ribs (and beer), another for submarine sandwiches (and beer) and the last stop Mudmen band at the top of the hill (or another beer if you are so inclined). Sponsored by CPS Flooring & The Publican Brewery http://www.publicanhouse.com
The banquet and paddock tour are included for a driver and one guest with your entry fee.
Off track on Sunday, Fathers' Day, is the ever popular Field of Dreams Car Show and car parade.
As always, free weekend camping courtesy of Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
As we get closer to the event we will post regulations, waivers, schedules and additional information such as Bring a Racecar From Outside Canada, How to Drive Mosport..etc at VARAC.CA
One note - many will be registering early with ’21 Race Licence info - please make a note to update your registration when you receive your ’22 licence. Thanks.
Questions on the event? Contact Peter Lambrinos at email@example.com.
- Unless you are doing the Street Car Lapping on Thursday, June 17, all Drivers must hold a valid membership with a Vintage Motorsports Council club, as well as a valid competition licence. Canadian competitors must use a competition license issued by VARAC, CASC-OR, another organization under ASN Canada. Non-Canadian entrants must use a recognized VMC competition licence. Non-vintage racers will not be permitted to enter the event.
- "Special Group" entrants must meet the licencing and membership requirements set by their series.
- Drivers for the Street Car Lapping require only a valid provincial driving license in good standing.