WG II Old Race Course Tour
Registration closed August 15, 2013 11:59 PM on August 15, 2013 11:59 PM EDT Registration ends August 15, 2013 11:59 PM on August 15, 2013 11:59 PM EDT Registration opens August 5, 2013 12:00 AM on August 5, 2013 12:00 AM EDT Registration runs from August 5, 2013 12:00 AM to August 15, 2013 11:59 PM
Monday Old Race Course Tour: There will be a bus tour of the old (1948) 6.6 mile race course through the village of Watkins Glen and the surrounding countryside, narrated by Peter Argetsinger, racer and racing coach, son of Cameron Argetsinger who planned and designed the track we are driving on now. This tour is free but first come – first served. The tour starts promptly at the Seneca lodge at 5:00pm Sunday and ends promptly at 6:00pm back at the Seneca Lodge.
(With credits to Wikipedia)
The first races in Watkins Glen were initiated by Cameron Argetsinger, whose family had a summer home in the area. With Chamber of Commerce approval and SCCA sanction, the first Watkins Glen Grand Prix took place in 1948 on a 6.6-mile (10.6 km) course over local public roads. For the first few years, the races passed through the heart of the town with spectators lining the sidewalks, but after a car left the road in the 1952 race, killing one spectator and injuring several others, the race was moved to a new location on a wooded hilltop southwest of town. The original 6.6-mile (10.6 km) course is listed in the New York State register and National Register of Historic Places as the Watkins Glen Grand Prix Course, 1948-1952.
The second layout 4.6-mile (7.4 km) began use in 1953 and also used existing roads. The Watkins Glen Grand Prix Corporation was formed to manage spectators, parking, and concessions. This arrangement lasted three years.
Any quesstions or concerns, please contact Bruce Bradigan (email@example.com) or CarlY Connors (firstname.lastname@example.org)