Street Survival Instructors & Volunteers
Registration closed August 28, 2015 4:59 AM on August 28, 2015 4:59 AM MDT Registration ends August 28, 2015 4:59 AM on August 28, 2015 4:59 AM MDT Registration opens March 19, 2015 12:00 AM on March 19, 2015 12:00 AM MDT Registration runs from March 19, 2015 12:00 AM to August 28, 2015 4:59 AM
Volunteers and Instructors Needed!
Event Hosted by Rocky Mountain Chapter BMW CCA
When: Saturday August 29, 2015 7:30AM - 4:30PM
Where: Colorado State Patrol Training Track, Golden, CO
Come help Rocky Mountain Chapter BMW CCA andRocky Mountain Region PCA give teen drivers the skills and confidence to handle emergency situations on the road. Drivers' Education gives teens the basics of piloting a car on our roadways, however it falls short in teaching teens how to handle unexpected events. Street Survival gives teens the hands-on opportunity to learn and practice the skills to handle unexpected, emergency situations while driving.
- Using the brakes to stop their car in the shortest possible distance (whether with ABS or using threshold braking)
- Braking while turning -- looking & driving where you want the car to go in order to avoid an accident
- Emergency lane changes -- managing the side-to-side weight transfer of a sudden change in direction to avoid objects in the road
- Controlling the car in a skid -- recognizing and correcting for both understeer and oversteer situations
Street Survival is not about high performance driving, we deliberately exclude such references. It's about safety, skills and confidence in everyday situations.
Our school will accomodate 30 students and we will need 30 instructors to provide 1-on-1 coaching and encouragement for each student. We also need about a dozen other volunteers to help keep the school running smoothly. No prior training or experience is necessary for general volunteers. However instructors must have extensive high performance driving skills from either on-track driver's ed events or autocross. Instructors are also required to successfully complete an online training program focus on the Street Survival curriculum and effectively communicating with and coaching teen drivers. This training can be completed either before or after you register here.
For more information on the Tirerack Street Survival Program or to register a student see www.streetsurvival.org.
We need volunteers in the following areas:
- Qualified Coaches / Instructors: All coaches are required to take an online tutorial from the Street Survival School Program and register with the program. It is free and takes about 1.5 hours. Note that if you have previously competed this training and registered for a prior SS, you do not need to repeat it. However we do recommend doing a quick review to refresh your knowledge of the program.
- Registration/Day of Event Volunteers: We need six people to help with registration on the day of the event and throughout the day with logistics, morning student check-in, distributing lunch and more.
- Classroom instructor: We are looking for a younger club member (someone with whom the students will relate better than the two of us) to understudy the StreetSurvival.org staff in the classroom segment and then lead the classroom instruction in subsequent years. If you are pre-40’s, enjoy making presentations and/or have teaching experience, please contact us!
- Cone chasers and safety workers: We need volunteers to help guide students through the circuit of driving skills features and to upright orange traffic cones that will undoubtedly get knocked down throught the day.
- Publicity: If you have media contacts that could to help promote the school, we need your help!
- Leaf Blowers: We need to gasoline or battery powered leaf blowers to distribute corn meal on the skid-pad feature. If you have one we can borrow for the day please volunteer or let us borrow it.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss Street Survival in more detail, please contact either of the event co-chairs.
Doug Bartlett email@example.com 970-214-7279
Michael Rosen firstname.lastname@example.org 314-640-7875