PCA - First Settlers Region Annual Charity Event
PCA - First Settlers
Registration closed April 13, 2017 5:00 PM on April 13, 2017 5:00 PM EDT Registration ends April 13, 2017 5:00 PM on April 13, 2017 5:00 PM EDT Registration opens March 1, 2017 3:00 PM on March 1, 2017 3:00 PM EST Registration runs from March 1, 2017 3:00 PM to April 13, 2017 5:00 PM
Join your FSR friends for a weekend of fun and community service at the beautiful and historic Greenbrier resort in West Virginia.
We will cover ground from Covington Va. to the New River Gorge W.Va., eat at quaint restaurants, admire beautiful views, drive some great mountain roads, try our luck in the casino, raise money for charity and learn about the history of The Greenbrier resort. Located in White Sulfur Springs amid the breathtaking mountains of West Virginia, The Greenbrier is a National Historic Landmark and world-class resort that has been welcoming guests from around the world since 1778. The natural mineral springs that drew their first guests over 235 years ago continue to lure visitors to the 11,000-acre luxury retreat. With a guest list that includes 26 of our country’s 44 Presidents, America’s Resort has long been a favorite destination of royalty, celebrities and business leaders.
PLEASE NOTE: The Greenbrier is proud of their tradition of a strict dress code. “The Greenbrier's dress codes distinguish the resort and are an important complement to the standards our guests expect and deserve. Please accept our appreciation for your adherence to and support of our dress codes. We are very proud of our impeccable standards and are thankful that you are helping us to maintain these traditions that have been such an important part of The Greenbrier’s heritage for generations of guests.” Details of the dress code can be found HERE.
Room reservations should be made directly through the Greenbrier Resort. Call 877-465-6682, select Group Sales, and mention you are with the First Settlers Region Porsche Club. Room rates are $249 per room, inclusive of resort fee, historical preservation fund fee and local taxes. There is a $25 per day valet parking fee. We will be parking our cars together directly in front of the resort main entrance. Valet parking is optional and there will be other parking options. Our initial room block has been filled, but the hotel is adding rooms to the block based on availability. Please make a room reservation as soon as possible to ensure you get the discounted room rate.
The Schedule - A Quick Look (scroll down for details and menus)
- Thurs, 20 April: An informal evening get-together
- Fri, 21 April: Breakfast on your own, Fun Run and lunch at the Boys Home, evening Greenbrier bunker tour and dinner
- Sat, 22 April: Breakfast on your own, Fun Run to the New River Gorge and a local lunch, Greenbrier Scavenger Hunt/Tour, Dinner and Silent Auction
- Sun, 23 April: Breakfast on your own, Fun Run to lunch on the way home. Lunch will be pay as you go.
Registration Fee: $50 per registration/couple/family (goes directly to charity)
Friday lunch at the Boys Home: Compliments of the Boys Home
Friday Bunker Tour and Dinner: $86 per person
Saturday New River Gorge Lunch: $27 per person
Saturday Evening Scavenger Hunt: Compliments of FSR
Saturday Evening Dinner: $110 per person
Thursday, April 20th. For members who can arrive early, we will start the weekend with an informal gathering at location to be determined.
Friday, April 21st: Breakfast will be on your own. We will depart on a fun run to the Boys Home in Covington, Va. around 10AM, where we will enjoy a complimentary lunch with the boys. Our last visit was a huge hit and they really enjoyed talking with us and checking out our cars!
- Friday afternoon you will have time to enjoy the resort. If you would like to enjoy the spa, recommend making reservations at least two weeks in advance.
Friday evening, we will take a tour of the historic, Cold-War era Greenbrier bunker, followed by a gourmet pizza dinner. The price is $86 per person and includes both bunker tour and pizza. The two tours will start at 5:45 and 6:00PM. Be sure to arrive on time if you aren’t arriving until Friday. We will meet in the lobby bar. More details to follow.
- The Bunker at The Greenbrier is unlike any other in the United States. This former U.S. Government Relocation Facility was a Top Secret project of the Cold War designed to accommodate members of both the Senate and the House of Representatives in the event of a national emergency or nuclear war. This 112,000 square foot, two-story, bunker is buried 720 feet into the hillside under the West Virginia Wing of the Greenbrier. Construction was "hidden in plain sight” and began in 1958 and was completed in 1961. The secret of this bunker’s exact location was paramount and was maintained until 1992 when The Washington Post published a story effectively exposing it. The Bunker remains one of the most visited attractions at The Greenbrier.
The gourmet pizza menu:
- House special: Olives, Italian sausage, Banana peppers, Mozzarella, Arugula.
- Grilled pepperoni: House tomato sauce, Grilled pepperoni, Provolone, Garlic.
- Four cheese: Mozzarella, Pecorino, Ricotta, Gorgonzola.
- Kate’s Mountain BBQ Chicken: Grilled chicken breast, BBQ sauce, Pickled red onions, Cilantro.
- Friday night you are free to enjoy the many activities at the Greenbrier Resort including the casino!!! Maybe you can take your winnings to Checkered Flag Porsche and buy a new car on Monday!!
Saturday, April 22nd. Breakfast will be on your own (but don’t eat too much since this is an eat-drive-eat-drive-eat kind-of day)
The fun run to the New River Gorge drive will take us through the mountains, ending up at Smokey’s on the Gorge. Lunch is $27 per person and consists of a New River Lunch Buffet.
- Salad: Broccoli, Cole slaw, Iceberg salad, Creamy potato salad.
- Sliced deli meats and cheeses: roast beef, smoked turkey, shaved ham; Swiss, cheddar, and pepper jack cheese.
- Assorted breads: marble rye, white, whole grain, croissants, tortilla wraps.
- Kettle chips, assorted cookies and fresh fruit.
- Unlimited non-alcoholic drinks: coffee, tea, water, lemonade and Pepsi products. Alcoholic beverages may be purchased from the bar.
We will have information about the New River Gorge Visitor Centers and options for your drive back to the Greenbrier. You will have several options on how to spend the afternoon.
Saturday evening’s event will include a Scavenger Hunt that will take you around the Greenbrier Hotel learning about its unique history and seeing parts of the building you would not see otherwise. This ‘Hunt’ is developed by the Greenbrier staff and will be executed using your smart phone (don’t worry if you don’t have a smart phone; the event is designed for group fun and there just needs to be one phone in the group). We will see a slide show at the end that demonstrates our results!
Saturday’s dinner will include stations of various menu items and costs $110 per person. The food is absolutely delicious and, remember, this is the Greenbrier!!
- Olive bread, Italian baguette, sweet cream butter and caponata
- Tuscan white bean soup
- Shaved prosciutto ham with melons and arugula
- Tomato bruschetta, grilled crostini, fresh basil
- Tuscan bread salad, roasted peppers, tomatoes, olives, red wine vinegar
- Vine ripe tomatoes with house made mozzarella cheese
- Red wine braised beef short ribs with creamy mascarpone polenta
- Herb roasted chicken, orecchiette pasta, marsala sauce mushrooms
- Eggplant lasagna with marinara and mozzarella cheese
- Ricotta cheese and sautéed spinach stuffed shells, marinara, mozzarella fine herbs
- Angel hair pasta, shrimp, crab arugula asparagus garlic lemon butter sauce
- Sweet peppers, stuffed with spicy Italian sausage, tomato sauce
- Sautéed broccoli, red pepper flake, garlic, olive oil
- Tiramisu with mascarpone mousse, anise biscotti
- Dark chocolate tart, strawberry panna cotta
Last but not least, dinner will include the Silent Auction for charity! Please bring your checkbooks and open your wallets!
After dinner you will have time to go back to the casino and win back the money you lost on Friday night!!!
Sunday, April 23rd: We'll enjoy a later start and fun run drive to arrive at lunch by 1130. Once again, don’t eat too much for breakfast. We will have you on the road to home by early afternoon.
- Lunch will be at the Swinging Bridge Restaurant in Paint Bank, Va. The menu is "old-time, Southern, stick-to-your-ribs good cookin' with a hillbilly gourmet flare”, and will be ordered and paid for individually. The buffalo burger is highly recommended!
Paint Bank is a tiny, three house village with a historic mill, lodge and post office. Although the Tingler's Mill building today only dates to 1873, the mill site has been in Botetourt County since it's establishment in 1783. Then the land then became part of Monroe County in 1851. Craig County was subsequently formed in 1863 when West Virginia became a state, then was returned to Virginia. Because of Civil War boundary changes, the mill has been in two different states and five different counties without ever having been moved.
The weekend will be full of spectacular FSR comraderie; driving, food (more driving and more food) and fun!! If you’ve never been to the Greenbrier Resort, this is your chance to enjoy this very special setting with special people – and it’s for a good cause!
In the spirit of charitable giving, contact Josie Grandfield at email@example.com if you would like to donate an item for the Silent Auction or if your business would like to advertise as a sponsor on one of the events.