GVC Spring Ultimate Driving School
Registration closed April 25, 2014 11:59 PM on April 25, 2014 11:59 PM EDT Registration ends April 25, 2014 11:59 PM on April 25, 2014 11:59 PM EDT Registration opens January 20, 2014 12:00 AM on January 20, 2014 12:00 AM EST Registration runs from January 20, 2014 12:00 AM to April 25, 2014 11:59 PM
Update, March 3: Advanced/intermediate run group is SOLD OUT! Spots still open in Solo Group (S) and Novice (C/D)
Note: Non-member registration opens April 4, 2014. Join BMW CCA and register today! http://www.bmwcca.org
Shake out the cobwebs, put away the skis and snow tires, and join us for some great early season fun at the Glen!
The GVC Spring UDS is a high-performance driving school for drivers of all skill levels (expert to novice). Students with different skill levels are assigned to run groups, taking into account prior experience, evaluations from previous driving schools (if any), and vehicle type. Each run group gets a minimum of 4 half-hour track sessions each day of the school, and are coached from the passenger seat by individually assigned, highly trained driving instructors. Between track sessions, students attend lively and interactive classroom sessions tailored to their skill level. Students also learn by example by riding with their instructors during the instructor track sessions. Novice students also take part in car-control exercises in an infield paddock area, where they can practice driving techniques at lower speeds under the guidance of instructors dedicated to this task.
The GVC Solo Group (formerly A-Solo) is only open to very advanced, experienced drivers who have been pre-approved to register for this group. Previously approved GVC Solo drivers may register without prior approval, but new applicants must go through a checkout process before being admitted. New applicants must register as "Solo checkout" and will be assigned to the Advanced (A) run group. Please consult the GVC website (link below) for details on selection to this special group.
For Advanced/intermediate and Novice students, this is a two-day school running on Saturday and Sunday.
For Solo Group drivers there are three registration options:
Three-day school (Friday - Saturday - Sunday). NOT AVAILABLE to Solo Checkout registrants
Two-day school (Existing Solo Drivers: Friday - Saturday OR Saturday - Sunday; Solo Checkout: Saturday-Sunday)
Solo Group drivers are charged higher fees, but are afforded additional benefits such as:
· Three hours of scheduled* track time per day: Solo students get 4 half-hour sessions with their own run group, and another 2 sessions with the instructor run group. (*weather permitting)
· Friday open-track day: Solo students registered for either the 3-day (Fri.-Sun.) or 2-day (Fri.-Sat.) options drive in "open-track" conditions with the instructors on Friday. The Solo run group with the assistance of their skilled and highly experienced coaches may arrange for special group exercises to develop and refine more advanced driving techniques (e.g., close-quarter, side-by-side driving in traffic).
· Group debriefing sessions: Solo coaches and drivers meet for group discussions that take the place of traditional classroom sessions, At these meetings, experiences will be shared, and driving techniques discussed, compared, and critiqued.
More details about the GVC Solo Group are available from the GVC chief instructor (DS-CI@gvc-bmwcca.org).
Please visit the GVC website for complete details about the school, including the Solo program admission procedure:
Registration and Fees:
- GVC chapter members are afforded highest priority for slots in this school, followed by BMW CCA members from other chapters.
- Non-Members: Registration for non-members is delayed until approximately one month before the registration deadline. Non-members are charged an additional $100 above member fees, and have lowest priority to be promoted from a waiting list.
Membership in BMW CCA is only $48 per year. Join today to register now, and avoid the non-member surcharge!http://bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=new_member
- Registration after the deadline is only possible by special arrangement, and only if there are still slots available or late cancellations (call or email the Registrar: email@example.com).
- Advanced, intermediate and novice students: $450 per driver (two-day school). Non-members: add $100
- Solo Group: $475 (two-day school), $675 (three-day school) per driver.
Solo Group applicants: $475 (Saturday-Sunday) school.
Non-members: add $100
- Instructors: $50 (per vehicle) for Friday Orientation Day. Includes three-day shared garage access.
- Fees Include event shirt and after-hours party on Saturday, with hot buffet, beer, wine, soft drinks, open to all participants and guests.
- Registration is not confirmed until payment has been received.
- Fees are refundable before the deadline, less a 10% cancellation charge to cover credit card fees.
- Fees may be credited toward a future GVC Driving School to avoid the cancellation charge.
- Fees are non-refundable after the registration deadline unless another student is available to take the vacated slot.
The host hotel is the historic Seneca Lodge (http://www.senecalodge.com/) located at the upper entrance to beautiful Watkins Glen State Park off NY 329. The Lodge is famous for its food and racing heritage. The bar is notable for its collection of over 60 years of racing memorabliia, as well as an extensive selection of fine beverages. Another favorite place to stay very close to the track is the Falls Motel in nearby Montour Falls. http://www.thefallsmotel.com. These lodgings fill quickly, so make reservations early.
Camping at the track: Camping is not available at the track. Camping is available at nearby Watkins Glen State Park and at other private campgrounds.
Many other types of lodging can be found in Watkins Glen, from cozy bed-and-breakfasts to the luxurious Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel.
For more information, please consult our Chapter’s website: http://gvc-bmwcca.org/DrivingSchool/WGInfo.aspx