About this event
Porsche Club of America Diablo Region Track Day at Thunderhill
Sponsored by Porsche Walnut Creek
3 Mile Course
Monday, November 23, 2020
Limited size run groups, lots of track space, tons of track time
"Have Fun, Be Safe, Drive Fast"
THIS EVENT IS FOR PORSCHE CARS ONLY - All event details can be found at www.diablo-de.org
General Event Information:
This event is open to all Porsche drivers who have been cleared to drive solo on Thunderhill Raceway. Drivers who have been cleared to solo at other tracks, but not Thunderhill Raceway, will be considered for this event, based on the review by our Chief Driving Instructor.
We are a Porsche club, not a driving school or a driving business. We run several safe, fun and friendly track events each year. We do not race, time trial or time laps. We limit this event to 25 cars per run group so that we can offer plenty of room on track and lots of track time.
We expect to run three run groups: Beginner Solo, Intermediate, and Advanced. The DE team will review all registered drivers and will confirm the run group classification for each driver based on overall track experience. During the event the DE team will work to accommodate drivers wishing to change run groups, subject to approval by our Chief Driving Instructor (CDI).
COVID-19 Related Changes:
Due to Covid-19 restrictions and requirements, this event will be run differently than past Diablo PCA DE events:
- We are unable to provide in-car instruction due to COVID-19 social distancing requirements.
- As a result, this event is only open to people who have been CLEARED TO DRIVE SOLO on Thunderhill Raceway PRIOR to registering for this event. Drivers who have been cleared to solo at other tracks, but not Thunderhill Raceway, will be considered for this event, based on the review by our Chief Driving Instructor. No first time DE drivers.
- There is also no special registration option/discount for Instructors because we are not providing instruction.
- Some event details, such as the DE 101/201 class, meals at the event, and general event logistics, will be communicated to registered participants as we get closer to the event date.
- All drivers, crew members, and guest will need to read, fill out and sign several documents that will need to be emailed back before this event, or brought to this event already signed. You will receive an email just about 1 week before the event with details about those forms.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
Private instructors/coaches are not allowed at this event.
Passing will be with mandatory point-by in all groups:
We take safety very seriously, and will “black flag” any participant who disregards passing protocols or consistently fails to give point by's, including denying access to the track with no refund of registration fees if deemed necessary by the safety officer.
Safety Inspection Information:
All drivers must certify that their car has passed a safety inspection by an authorized person within 30 days of this event, per PCA guidelines. The safety inspection form can be downloaded from our DE website (http://www.diablo-de.org/home.html). All drivers must complete this safety inspection form to verify that the condition of their car is ready for the track. Well maintained Porsches should have no problem passing tech inspection if they have good brakes, tires, no oil leaks and no defects. If in doubt, have the experts look at your car.
The following sponsors are offering free tech inspections:
- Porsche Walnut Creek - by Appointment only
Contact their service department team at 925-280-4363
- Kahlers in Dublin – by Appointment only
Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 925-829-2050.
DE 101/Health & Safety Virtual Meeting: All drivers should attend our virtual DE Introduction briefing.
Topic: Adam Cipriano - PCA Diablo - DE 101
Time: Nov 12, 2020 06:30 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting:
Meeting ID: 825 0590 1683
Run Group Selection:
- All drivers attending this event need to have been cleared to drive solo at Thunderhill Raceway prior to registering for this event. Drivers who have been cleared to solo at other tracks, but not Thunderhill Raceway, will be considered for this event, based on the review by our Chief Driving Instructor.
- Please make sure your profile in MotorSportsReq.com clearly states when you were cleared to drive this track solo, and which organization provided that clearance.
- Drivers with 5 or less track days must register as Beginner Solo
- Drivers with 19 or less track days should register as Beginner Solo or Intermediate
- Drivers with 20 or more track days or Instructor experience can register as Advanced
- There are no Instructor signups for this event
Two Drivers Sharing One Car:
If two different drivers are planning to drive the same vehicle, BOTH drivers must reside in the same household, per COVID-19 requirements, AND must be qualified to drive in different run groups (i.e., one driver must have enough DE experience to run in a higher run group than the other driver). Both drivers will not be allowed to drive in the same run group.
No passengers or guests are allowed in cars during hot lap sessions.
Registration Fee: $350 per driver
- Registration will close when the maximum driver count is reached, or on midnight November 18, 2020, whichever is earlier.
- All registrations are considered preliminary until confirmed by the DE committee. You will be notified once your registration is confirmed, or if you are wait-listed, or if we were not able to accommodate your registration for this event.
- All refunds are subject to a $75 cancelation fee. Sorry, no refunds after November 14, 2020.
- Instructors attending training session fee is $100. If the instructor also wants to participate in the DE, they need to sign up as a Participant in the Advanced Run Group ($350)
1. Registration is Critical – priority for acceptance into this limited Event is decided by date of registration. In the unfortunate Event that you register but we don’t have a place available, you will not be charged for registration or a cancelation fee. Your credit card is not charged at time of registration. It will be charged on a space available basis as we confirm you into the Event and prior to the Event taking place.
2. Drivers are invited (strongly recommended) to attend our DE Introduction briefing called DE 101 / 201, which is typically held two weeks prior to the Event. Due to COVID-19 social distancing requirements, this will be a virtual event. We will have a discussion on driving Thunderhill Raceway and an opportunity for drivers of any level to share their experiences, ask questions, etc.
4. Final Event details, schedules and instructions will be emailed to you about 1 week before the Event.
5. Only one participant and one family member are allowed per registered vehicle.
6. Anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19, has exhibited any COVID-19 symptoms, or has had close personal contact with anyone else who is exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms within two weeks of the Event is not allowed to attend the Event. The symptoms of COVID-19 may include, without limitation, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, or new loss of taste or smell is not feeling well, experiencing a cough or fever, are requested to stay home.
7. Not less than two weeks prior to the Event (i.e., by no later than November 9), you must provide the Event registrar with the full name, residence address and cell number for you and any family member who is attending with you, and with the vehicle registration identification number (the VIN number not the license plate) of your car (or of your tow vehicle if you are towing your car). We will provide this information to Thunderhill Raceway, which will be checked before you are allowed to enter the paddock.
8. All participants and any family members attending the Event must provide a driver’s license or other photo ID to gain entrance to the paddock.
9. Participants and guests must provide their own face masks. You must wear your mask when checking in at the gate. Masks must be worn at all times when outside of a vehicle. Gloves are also recommended.
10. Temperatures will be checked with No Touch Thermometers upon entry to the paddock. Those recording a temperature of 100.4° F or higher will be turned away.
11. Before being allowed to enter the paddock, all participants and any family members attending the Event must sign Thunderhill Raceway's Waiver, PCA’s Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement, and PCA’s Communicable Disease Exposure and Infection Assumption of Risk, Hold Harmless, Release, Waiver of Liability and Indemnity Agreement. Bring your own pen to sign the Waivers.
12. Registration check-in will also be at the entry to the paddock. On the morning of the Event, you must present the Registrar with a completed safety inspection form (the driver certifies that their car has undergone a safety inspection by an authorized person within 30 days of the Event). Please find our Tech Inspection form here http://www.diablo-de.org/home.html.
13. We will supply disposable vinyl numbers for your car, which you can place on the glass of your windshield and rear window.
14. All drivers must attend the mandatory driver’s meeting, which takes place before the track is opened. We will review important information, such as passing and safety rules, the flags used by corner workers, the condition of the track, etc. You will receive your run group wrist band at the end of the morning meeting. No one will be allowed onto the track without a wrist band.
15. If you arrive to the track after the morning meeting, you must meet with a Diablo DE team member to complete the registration process, turn in your completed Tech Inspection Form, review the items discussed during the morning meeting, and receive your wrist band. You will not be allowed to go on the track until you have done this.
16. Social distancing must be practiced at all times during the Event. No social grouping is allowed while on track or in the pit lane. No more than six (6) people will be allowed in any one area and 6 foot distancing must be adhered to all times. Face masks are to be worn when you are outside of a vehicle. Paddock layout must demonstrate 8 feet of separation between vehicles.
17. All registered participants will be provided lunch. Lunch is available for purchase for all guests.
18. If you are sharing a car with someone who you reside with, you both need to register separately and in different run groups. The registration form has a section where you can provide your car sharing details.
19. Helmets are required and must meet Snell SA 2010 or newer standards. No motorcycle helmets are allowed.
20. High speed driving is inherently dangerous and all drivers and other participants in a PCA Diablo Region DE Event must accept and assume the risks associated with this sport. All participants must sign the PCA Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement. Before the Event, members of the DE team will drive around the track to look for any unusual conditions on or around the track, such as mud, water or other debris, sand bags or other objects, uneven surfaces, etc., and we will discuss any such unusual conditions during the morning driver’s meeting. However, the PCA Diablo Region and our DE team members are not experts about track conditions and safety or about conducting track inspections, and you should not rely on us to spot or notify you about every potential hazard you might encounter during this Event. You are ultimately responsible for driving safely, which includes being aware of the track conditions. We encourage you to conduct your own inspection of the track and its environs in order to spot and avoid potential hazards on or around the track, such as walls, tire barriers, mud, water or other debris, sand bags or other objects, uneven surfaces, etc.
21. Because of the risks presented by the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, all participants and guests must also sign PCA’s Communicable Disease Exposure and Infection Assumption of Risk, Hold Harmless, Release, Waiver of Liability and Indemnity Agreement. Prior to participating in the Event, you and any guests should review the social distancing rules and protocols established by the State, the County, PCA Diablo and/or the Track, which include without limitation maintaining a minimum 6 foot social distance from others at all times, wearing a face mask at all times when not in your car, frequently washing hands, and proper hygiene and sanitation practices, and assigned parking locations. Failing to fully comply with any and all such rules and protocols, or with any other instructions from PCA Diablo and/or the Track during the Event, may result in you and your guests being asked to leave the Event and in being denied access to other PCA Diablo events in the future. You will not be allowed to participate in or attend the Event if, at any point in the prior two weeks, you exhibited any of the symptoms of COVID-19 which, according to Centers for Disease Control guidelines may include, without limitation, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, or new loss of taste or smell. Temperatures will be taken with an infrared non-contact forehead thermometer at the entrance to the Track facility and anyone with a 100.4° F or higher temperature will not allowed to enter. Only those guests who have been disclosed on a timely basis to Diablo PCA prior to the Event will be allowed to enter the Track grounds.
Questions? Ask the DE Committee chair, Adam Cipriano (DiabloPCA.DEChair@gmail.com)