About this event
Registration for this tour opens on August 11th at 8:00 AM and closes at midnight on September 13th. This is the third time we've tried to hold this tour in the past two years so let's hope the third time is a charm!! UPDATE!! I HAD TO SUSPEND REGISTRATIONS TEMPORARILY SINCE I JUST FOUND OUT THAT THERE IS A MT BAKER HILLCLIMB SCHEDULED FOR THIS WEEKEND WITH OVER 1000 BIKES PARTICIPATING. Therefore, I am moving this tour to Sunday, Sep 19th. GREG
WE NEED LEADS AND SWEEPS FOR THIS TOUR!!
Join your fellow PNWR members for a scenic drive through Snohomish, Skagit and Whatcom counties. Starting with a back road blast from Panera Bread at 9324 34th Ave NE, Tulalip, WA, to Granite Falls,and then we’ll continue north along SR9 and some twisty side roads up to the town of Welcome for a brief rest stop and opportunity to fuel up with ethanol-free. From there, we'll continue eastward on SR542 up the switchbacks to Artist Point. Once there, take some time to soak in the stunning views of Mt Baker and Mt Shuksan (weather permitting), explore the trails, socialize, or take photos - but don’t wander too far away. After visiting Artist Point, we’ll make our way back down the mountain to Glacier/Deming where we’ll have lunch at Chair 9 in their outdoor beer garden. At the conclusion of lunch, you're free to go and make your way home the same way or via Bellingham and the beautiful SR11 (Chuckanut Dr) to Skagit County and more back roads southbound.
Important: There is road and reclamation work going on over the last 1.8 miles up to Artist Point which may or may not be finished by September 111th. If Artist Point road is closed, Bagley Lakes Loop parking lot is the end of the road. From there, the adventurous attendees can hike up to Artist Point, but that will mean you are on your own for the return trip back down to lunch.
ONE OF THE FOLLOWING PASSES IS REQUIRED AT ALL PARKING LOCATIONS:
National Forest Recreation Day Pass and ePass
Northwest Forest Pass
America the Beautiful Interagency Annual Pass
Interagency Senior Pass
These can be purchased ahead of time online. Drivers are required to have purchased a pass prior to starting the tour. See https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/mbs/passes-permits/recreation This will avoid clogging up the Ranger station to buy passes on the way up to Artist Point.
We will see how registrations goes and may split into two separate "waves" of cars with two or three groups in each wave. This will determine whether you eat lunch first or last. Note the questions on the registration form. The early group will go all the way to Artist Point first, then back for lunch at Chair 9 Pizza and Bar Restaurant in Deming, WA, and therefore will be eating LATE. The second wave of cars, if applicable, will drive the route, but stop at Chair 9 FIRST for lunch so therefore will be eating EARLY. If Chair 9 cannot handle the number of people for some reason, we may also look at Heather Meadows Visitor's Center and Cafe, which is right below Artist Point. If we can't drive all the way to Artist Pint, Heather Meadows will be our stopping point anyway. We will provide updates via MSR mass emails once we are certain which option to take.
Final details will be published as we get closer to the tour date, but at least we'll know your preferences now.
- Cancellations and refunds: Cancellations accepted until Monday, Sep 13th. There are no advanced payments required for this tour.
- Car club membership: To participate, you must be a member of the PCA and also hopefully PNWR. Porsche owners who are not members may register and receive a special invitation on a case-by-case basis from the tour leader, Olen Ronning, tour leader or Greg Halverson, PNWR Tour Chair..
- Non-Porsches on the Tour: Non-Porsches are only allowed on a case-by-case basis under extenuating circumstances (car in the shop, awaiting delivery of a Porsche, etc)
For Adult participants and attendees: All drivers and passengers must sign the Waiver Release Form, which will be provided at the tour starting point. There is no need to download, print and sign the form in advance. We will NOT be using the MSR SpeedWaiver for this tour!
- Age and driver's license restrictions: All drivers must be at least 18 years old and in possession of a valid US driver's license at the time of the Tour. A driving permit is not acceptable. For participants under 18 years old, the parent/legal guardian must sign an additional waiver. The parent/legal guardian must be present to sign the waiver form or the signed form must be notarized in advance.
- Registering for Passengers: Please make sure to include the names of any passengers riding with you in the space provided during registration. If you have two cars on the tour each car and driver should register with a separate Motorsportreg (MSR) account.
- Please read the Tour Rules and Etiquette guidance on the club website under "Let's Get Together-->Tours-->Etiquette & Rules (pdf)" prior to the tour date.
- Additional information: See our club website http://www.pnwr.org/