About this event
The Las Vegas Region of PCA presents: Driver Education at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch, Pahrump, NV
September 24 & 25, 2022
Configuration to be announced
Join the Las Vegas Region of the Porsche Club of America for two great days of Driver Education at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch.
THIS EVENT WILL INCLUDE OUR GROUND/TRACK SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS!!!
We will have a Ground/Track school, or Yellow student run group for this event. For novice White group drivers at this event, you must have been "signed off" by your instructor to run solo in the novice White group on this Spring Mountain configuration or, be a regular White/Novice group driver with experience on this configuration. Otherwise, you must request an Instructor.
Please read the information below carefully, as some of our registration and at-track requirements have changed.
Our events focus on Safety, Education and Fun, and feature 30-minute driving sessions with four sessions each day.
Very Important: Please fill out your MotorsportReg.com profile with past experience and emergency contact information. If your profile does not have an emergency contact listed, it will delay the confirmation of your registration.
All car makes are welcome!
All run groups will run with passing only by point-by, and only in designated passing
We run rain or shine.
Registration Fees for this event are:
- Both Days: $450
- Saturday Only: $300
- Sunday Only: $300
REMINDER: Registration closes at midnight on September 1, 2022. There will be no registration or fee payment at the track.
These events have become very popular the last few seasons and many have sold out. We also limit the number of cars in each run group for a better driver experience. Your spot in a run group will be determined by your registration date and time.
Configuration to be announced.
Lunch will be available for purchase both days for $10... a buffet is usually provided by Spring Mountain with hamburgers, hot dogs etc. It will be served to you by someone from the track's catering. It will be located in the the paddock or outside the classroom. Payment for lunch each day is $10 in cash, no credit cards are accepted for lunch.
Note: Lunch is not part of your entry fee, we ask you during registration if you're going to buy lunch, only to give the track's kitchen an approximate head count for each day.
See the Las Vegas Region Porsche Club of America Web Site for more details of the event and requirements at https://lvs.pca.org/driver-education/
Guest Driver/Student Waiver Policy:
If you have not previously attended one of our track events, you are considered a Student unless you have previously completed our Yellow group Ground/Track School, and run two clean events with us, or had formal racetrack oriented driving instruction, such as a two or three day paid performance driving school at Ron Fellows, Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant, Porsche Track Experience, or equivalent academy, or a formal two day HPDE ground/track school with the Porsche Club of America, Audi Club, BMW Club, or equivalent.
For experienced intermediate and advanced drivers, this requirement may be waived. In order to obtain the Student Waiver, experienced drivers must have significant, appropriate experience, and be endorsed by other track organizations or PCA regions.
- By "significant" we mean more than just a few events,
- By "appropriate" we mean that such experienced drivers must be able to function in a Driver's Education environment (as opposed to racing) where drivers are given lots of room, passing is via "point-bys," courteous driving is expected and risky behavior is not tolerated.
- By "endorsed" we mean that an official from the other driving organization(s) must be able to provide their opinion of your safe behavior on the track and ability to follow event protocol.
If you feel you are a good candidate for a Student Waiver, please follow these directions EXACTLY:
A. Update your driving experience resume in your Motorsportsreg profile. Be as detailed as possible to give us a good initial review of your track driving experience.
B. Register for the event, so we can take a look at your MotorsportReg registration history, and your profile with your previous experience. Then, within 12 hours of your registration, YOU MUST send an email to Brian Schmidt at: firstname.lastname@example.org to alert us of your request. In your email, please introduce yourself, tell us about your previous track driving experience and approximate dates, the tracks you've run on, and clubs you've run with. If you are a PCA member, include your PCA member number and primary region of record. If you are also a PCA nationally trained instructor please tell us, and include your PCA Instructor number.
If you don't send us this REQUIRED email, you will not be considered to attend the event.
If there's nothing about previous track experience in your MotorsportReg profile, your request will be not considered.
C. If requested, have an official from the other driving organization (as similar to PCA as possible) provide information about your driving experience and their endorsement of your safe behavior on the track and ability to follow event protocol.
Your request and supporting information will be reviewed by us and we will inform you whether your Student requirement has been waived.
1. Head and neck restraints are required for all occupants in harness-equipped vehicles. Tech review staff will be checking head and neck restraints expiration dates.
Head and neck restraints are required for all five or six point harnesses. The same type of restraint system is required for both driver and passenger. Harnesses are required to be SFI or FIA approved for competition and mounted in the manufacturer's approved configuration. Any harness approved for PCA Club Racing is acceptable when installed according to the manufacturer's instructions. Evidence of this approval must be provided by the driver, if necessary. We will be checking expiration dates on harness systems at Tech Review. We recognize five-year FIA expiration cycles... if your harnesses are more than five years old, they'll be expired.
If you are running stock/DOT approved 3-point restraint system (stock seat belts) additional head and neck restraints are not required. The Las Vegas Region PCA will not rent/provide head and neck restraint systems. Participants must provide their own systems if required.
2. Gates open at 7:00 am. The 8:00 am Mandatory Drivers Meeting will be held outdoors in the paddock.
3. All entrants must be 18 years of age and possess a valid state, province or country Driver's License. Be sure to bring it with you to registration check-in. We will be checking them.
4. All car occupants must wear a Snell approved SA2015, or SA2020 certification auto racing helmet. Motorcycle helmets are not allowed.
Helmet rentals will not be available at the track.
5. We no longer rent transponders.
6. Clothing: Full-length pants, long sleeve shirts. Shoes must be enclosed, non-slip, with a relatively smooth sole. Hiking type deep lugged soles are not acceptable. No short pants allowed. Clothing must be of natural fibers, no synthetics except approved fire resistant material. If the weather is very hot, we MAY declare a "hot day" and allow short sleeves to be worn in street cars, but don't count on it. Bring long sleeved shirts.
7. Occupants in cars that are race-prepped with a full cage, or have had the interior removed, must wear a SFI or FIA approved fire resistant driving suit that conforms to PCA Club Racing rules. See PCA Zone 8 Rule Book for suit specifications. If we declare the event as a "hot day," you must still wear the fire resistant driving suit mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph.
8. All convertibles and “open” cars must have roll bars unless equipped with factory "pop-up" rollover protection, such as Porsche Boxsters and newer Carrera Cabriolets. Convertibles must run with the top closed - this includes T-tops, Targa tops and sunroofs. Face shields or protective goggles are required in all open cars and cars without a windshield.
9. Arm restraints are required for all open top cars.
10. The Drivers Meeting is MANDATORY for all drivers. Critical topics will be discussed including Flags, Passing Rules and Track Entry/Exit. For this event the Driver's Meeting will be held in the paddock.
11. A Tech Review Form will be required to be completed prior to the event and brought with you to the track to present to Tech Review. Technical Review Form 2019.pdf
12. If there are two people in a car, one of them must be a certified PCA instructor who is registered to instruct at the event. No other passengers are allowed at any time.
13. PCA National now requires all persons, both drivers and guests, to sign a PCA event waiver during registration on the day of the event, as we used to do before the Covid-19 restrictions. You will no longer need to download and fill out a waiver and bring it with you. As of this writing, PCA no longer requires a "communicable disease waiver" to be signed.
We look forward to seeing you there!