About this event
Course Fee: $75.00
Course Hours: 9am – 5pm (8 hours)
Pre-Registration Required by December 2, 2020
Book fees separate by ordering on Jones and Bartlett – ISBN# 9781449641917
GEMS provides EMS practitioners at all levels with the skills and knowledge to address the unique medical, social, environmental and communications challenges of older adults. Developed by NAEMT, in partnership with the American Geriatrics Society, GEMS empowers EMS practitioners to help improve medical outcomes and quality of life for geriatric patients.
GEMS features case-based lectures, live action video, hands-on skill stations, simulation and small group scenarios to fully engage students in the learning experience. GEMS covers the following topics:
- Changes with age
- Assessment of older adults
- Pharmacology and medication toxicity
- Psycho-social emergencies
- Elder abuse
- End-of-life care issues
- Cardiovascular and respiratory emergencies
- Neurological emergencies and altered mental status
- Mobile integrated healthcare
- Special considerations for older adults in disaster response
- Skin and wound care
- Medical devices frequently used by older adults
Two GEMS courses are offered - a core basic and advanced course. They may be offered separately or sequentially. Both courses are appropriate for EMTs, paramedics, emergency medical responders.
Registration required. Those not pre-registered will not be able to attend.