About this event
THE DFW MAP RALLY IS BACK!
AFTER A YEAR OF SOCIAL DISTANCING, IT’S TIME FOR A SHORTEST DISTANCE RALLY!
The Texas Region of the Sports Car Club of America invites you to a fun drive in the country in Wise County, Texas. We give you a map with several waypoints and you visit these specific locations on the map. With this year’s theme, locations to be visited are all cemeteries. Make wise choices or face grave consequences!
You determine your route and drive to each location, which will be verified by the Richta GPS smartphone app. The team who visits all the required landmarks in the shortest distance will win, and the winners will receive awards. It is not a speed or racing contest. Scores are automatically reported to the Rallymaster. No score sheet to fill out. We will send you information on it after you pre-register.
In light of the current COVID-19 situation, every attempt will be made to minimize the risks of exposure to the virus. New processes and procedures have been developed and will be put into place to support this objective. You should not have to get out of your car. All of the registration materials and rally materials needed for the event will be available online or sent to you via email, and can be completed and returned ahead of the event or, if applicable, you can print them and bring them with you. In some cases (e.g., Minor Waivers that have not been notarized) we will witness you signing the completed form. We will also send you the General Instructions and Route Instructions to print out at home.
In light of the current COVID-19 situation, every attempt will be made to minimize the risks of exposure to the virus. If you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, masks are no longer required indoors or outdoors. If you are not vaccinated, you may still attend and participate in this SCCA event. However, in line with the latest CDC guidelines, it is recommended that you continue to wear a mask indoors and when near others. Certain registration and rally materials needed for the event will be available online or sent to you via email, and can be completed and returned ahead of the event or, if applicable, you can print them and bring them with you. We will also send you the General Instructions and Odometer Check Instructions to print out at home. Ultimately, it is your responsibility to assess the risk to you, comply with applicable COVID-19 guidelines and make the decision on whether or not to participate.
- Rally Day: Saturday, August 28, 2021
- Registration and Starting Place: The Horny Toad Café & Bar, 5812 I-35, Denton, TX 76207 (in Stonehill Center).
- Registration opens at 9:30 am on Rally Day. Registration will close at 10:00 am (times may be adjusted).
- After registration, you will receive your instructions for conducting an odometer calibration run (in order to normalize all of the entrants’ odometers), which ends at Catfish O’Harlies (see below)
- At the end of the odo check, you will receive your maps and instructions for locating fifteen or so locations in Wise County that you have to visit.
- Take 30 minutes to determine your route from maps provided. No GPS/electronic aids permitted here.
- Cars leave the official start whenever you are ready, in any order (but at 1 minute intervals). First car out about 11:00 am.
- Length: as short as you can make it in miles, probably about 3½ hours in time
- Finish: Catfish O’Harlies, 2019 US-287, Decatur, TX 76234.
- Rally type: Shortest distance rally. SCCA calls this a GTA (Games, Tours, Adventures) rally.
- Route: You choose your route from maps provided. You may use any public road you wish in your attempt to log the shortest distance on your odometer. Depending on your chosen route, you may encounter stretches of unpaved road, though we think that the shortest-distance route will be all paved.
- Classes: First-timer, Novice (3 rally trophies or less), General, and Master (this is an optional class: no trophies). GPS and other electronic aids welcome in any class once you’re on the road.
- At least two people (a driver and a navigator) are required in each car; contact email@example.com if you have a minor child (<18) in the car, as a form will need to be signed
- Vehicles: Sports Cars, Family Cars, Classic Cars, Antiques, Hot Rods, Cruisers, Convertibles, anything with 4 wheels that’s street legal is OK in this Rally. Note: speed is not a factor.
- Rally entry fee: regular SCCA Members $25.00; Weekend Members $35 (includes membership fee). A $5.00 late fee will be assessed to anyone not preregistered on MotorsportReg.com.
- Rally Master: John Poulos.
Registrants will be emailed the rally rules ahead of the event. We encourage entrants to pre-register as early as possible. To pre-register, page down and click on “Continue”. The Rally Committee reserves the right to limit entries.
Texas Region SCCA (www.texasscca.org) is affiliated with the Sports Car Club of America (www.scca.org). With nearly 65,000 members, and with Regions all over the US, the club offers car related activities in a broad range of automotive events.
This is the third event in the 2021 Texas Region SCCA Championship RoadRally Series. This event is sanctioned as a Regional Rally by SCCA, under Sanction Number 21-RRRG-56604; it does not qualify for the National SCCA RoadRally Championship.
For more information on the RoadRally Series, visit www.texasscca.org/rally
There must be at least 2 people old enough to read in every rally car. The driver must have a valid driver's license and proof of insurance. The car must be in good mechanical condition. If any one of the rally car occupants is a minor (under 18 years old), that person must have an SCCA "Minor Release" signed by a parent in the presence of either the rally registrar or a Notary Public. The form is available from firstname.lastname@example.org, or at registration.
For purposes of liability insurance protection, SCCA has (re)instituted membership requirements for RoadRally participants. There must be at least one SCCA Member in every rally car, either a regular/annual Member or a Weekend Member. If not currently a Member, you will be registered as a Weekend Member during online pre-registration. The following scenarios apply:
(1) If both Driver and Navigator are already regular Members, either one can complete this registration for the team and receive the Member rate for the for the team/car.
(2) If only one of the team is a regular Member, then that Member should complete this registration, so as to receive the Member entry fee rate for the team/car. The other person(s) will be designated as Trial Members (no action required on their part).
(3) If neither Driver nor Navigator are regular Members, you have the option of first signing up for a regular Membership (www.scca.org). and then returning to this registration process, now under one of the previous two scenarios. Otherwise, if you proceed, the registration system will assign the person registering as a Weekend Member, which entitles them to certain benefits (see below). The other person(s) in the car will be designated as Trial Members (no action required on their part). If there is a preference for who becomes a Weekend Member, then that person should complete this registration. The other occupants of the car will be registered as Trial Members (no action required on their part). Under this scenario, you qualify for the Non-Member/Weekend Member entry fee rate, which includes the cost for the one Weekend Membership.
Note for Members completing the Registration: MSReg verifies your membership against the SCCA database. Your Member number, first name and last name must all match exactly with the SCCA data. The verification uses the name in your MSReg account profile, so please make sure that your name matches the one in your SCCA profile exactly to avoid verification failures (e.g., Steve vs Stephen will cause a mismatch error). If different, we recommend that you update your MSReg account name to match the SCCA data.
Term: 5 days (consecutive) from day of initial event
Entitled to full participation privileges in SCCA events excluding SCCA Pro Racing events
Entitled to apply a $15 coupon towards any SCCA Annual Membership within 60 days of issuance
Weekend Member will receive email with details and membership upgrade coupon a day or two after the Rally