About this event
Join us on January
16th/17th 23rd/24th, 2021 for a weekends worth of AUTO-X ON ICE, also known as ICE-X!
SOLD OUT - NOW ACCEPTING WAITLIST (FEB 13/14 HAS SPACE AVAILABLE)
Ice-X offers a safe environment for both new and experienced drivers wanting to learn how to drive better, find the limits of their car in low traction conditions, and have some fun. We aim to create an inclusive community for participants looking to do something different during the winter months.
Ice-X is geared toward NEW DRIVERS and welcomes you and a friend to take the plunge! Ice events are a great way for you to get out of town for the weekend and experience one of the great things British Columbia has to offer.
ICE-X DOES NOT REQUIRE A SPECIAL LICENSE! - If you plan on driving in an Ice-Attack event, we strongly recommend participating in an Ice-X event first.
The event is held on Barnes Lake, near Ashcroft, BC, Canada and is approximately a 4 hour drive from Vancouver. The travel time may vary depending on weather, however you should be prepared considering you plan to RACE ON ICE! A number of participants stay overnight in Ashcroft or nearby town Cache Creek for ~$80/night for a two bedroom stay. For those wanting a true out-door experience some participants chose to camp overnight next to the lake (You must be prepared for the weather).
This event is capped in the number of participants (40)
This event will follow BC COVID-19 protocol and will require all competitors and crew to wear a mask or an equivalent face covering. Some would even recommend the use of a scarf.
Early Bird Discount (Ends 6 weeks prior to registration closing):
- $65 - Single Day Event
- $95 - Weekend Event
- $70 - Single Day Event
- $105 - Two Day (Weekend) Event
- $13 - Single Day
- $25 - Both Days
*Western Canadian Ice Racing Association of British Columbia Membership is included. You automatically become a WCIRABC member when you register and attend an event.
2021 Ice Schedule
January 16/17 - Ice Cross (Auto-X on ice)
January 23/24 - Ice Cross (Auto-X on ice)
January 30/31 - Ice Attack (Lapping/ Track day on ice)
February 13/14 - Ice Cross
February 27/28 - Ice Attack
The ICE-X Weekend event will be limited to a maximum of 40 paid participants per day plus organizing volunteers.
8:00 am - Gates & tech open
8:50 am - Tech closes
9:00 am - Mandatory drivers meeting
9:20 am - On track sessions begin
12:00pm - Lunch
3:30 pm - On track activities cease
4:00 pm - Return to your local watering hole for refreshments or camp on site
*The schedule is tentative and subject to change during the event.
You have never attended an Ice event before. This is your first time having fun.
You have been to a few of these before and are being socially obliged to bring along a friend within your social bubble.
If you have a car with snow tires (studded OR rubber) you are likely able to compete! If you car is eligible to compete in a road going auto-X event, you will be worthy of the ice.
Technical inspection shall be mandatory for all cars with special attention given to brakes, suspension, throttle linkages, and loose articles in the car. Ensure your car does not leak oil!
- The online waiver must be signed or you will be required to leave the ice surface.
- All vehicles parked on the ice must have a tarp or other suitable method of catching any possible fluid leaks. This item must cover the entire area beneath your engine and transmission and rear differential (if applicable).
- All fueling must be done on the shore.
- Any persons using a camera at turn stations must have a spotter. Please seek permission from race organizer if you would like to go out to the infield for media purposes.
- KEEP THE LAKE CLEAN, this includes spills, food and drink waste, and cigarette butts. If it doesn’t belong in the lake, keep it off the ice.
- Helmets are required! (SA or M 2010+)
- We want to keep a peaceful relationship with the locals. Be respectful, no hooning to and from the lake!
GENERAL EVENT REGULATIONS
- Driver meetings are mandatory.
- All vehicle fueling is prohibited on the lake and must be done on shore with spill protection (ie tarps).
- Any competitor observed driving on the racing surface at any time other than the posted racing schedule, may be disqualified from the event at the discretion of the Event Steward.
- The speed limit in the pits is a maximum of 10 KPH.
- It is mandatory that a tarp or mat be placed under the engine of all vehicles (competitor, support, worker or spectator) parked anywhere on or around the race venue.
- For the safety of those on the ice, headlamps must be illuminated when on the racing surface. (Do not use flood lamps as they pose a risk of blinding turn workers if you are headed straight at them).
- Event organizer may ask the Clerk or Steward to exclude any competitor from competition, who appears to be driving out of control or posing a risk to other persons or equipment on the ice.
- All members of WCIRABC and all participants in Cars on Ice Events are expected to drive on public roads in a manner which reflects well on the club and motor sport in general.
- Self tech is required prior to the Technical Inspector approving the vehicle for competition. Tech forms are available on carsonice.ca and will also be provided in the registration package.
- If a race vehicle does not comply with one or more of the safety requirements the Technical Inspector, in consultation with the Steward may or may not let the vehicle compete. The Technical Inspector will give the vehicle owner or driver the list of deficiencies in writing.
ICEX & ICE ATTACK - TIMING / SCORING
- Manual stop watches will be used for all timed runs. (Up to 1/100th of a second)
- Master timing sheets will state the start and finish times of each run group.
- The results will be posted at the lake within 30 minutes of the end of each run group.
- The final event results will be posted on the Cars on Ice website (www.carsonice.ca) within 24 hours of the event date.
- The Steward will approve the timing results prior to posting.
- Times will not be given to participants during competition runs. Approaching the Timers while the race is in session will not be allowed and subject to time penalties. Timing is done manually, and the Timers attention is required on the track at all times.
DNF are awarded when:
- the stop box rules are not followed
- a gate is missed
- any cones marking a hazard are struck.
- 2 second penalties will be assessed for each cone hit.
- Racing will be run in run group A/B style, drivers who’s run group is not racing are required to work track turn stations.
- Vehicles which spin off track and become stuck will be towed out. Consistent towing which cause race delays will be subject to discussion with the Steward and may result in penalties or removal from the event.
- The IGNORING OF ANY FLAG may result in the competitor being excluded from the run, the weekend, the series and/or loss of series points, at the discretion of the Steward.
- Drivers changing vehicles must have prior permission from the Steward and Chief Organizer and will forfeit all times in the alternate vehicle. It is the driver’s responsibility to notify the timing clerks of any vehicle changes.
A comprehensive list of rules can be found here:
CARS ON ICE RULES FOUND HERE