About this event
2020 THSCC Jessi Culbertson Memorial HPDE
VIR-Full - Saturday, September 19-20, 2020 (Updated Dates)
You are registering for a two day high performance driver's education event conducted by Tarheel Sports Car Club. HPDE Student drivers can expect four 25 minute driving sessions each day, with classroom discussions held between on-track sessions for instructed groups. Student drivers will be grouped based on experience level into FOUR groups. Green, Yellow, and Blue run groups will have in-car instructors.
When registering, please keep in mind that final run group placement is determined by THSCC Staff based on your previous experience as well as prior instructor evaluations. Register for the group you feel fits you best and THSCC Staff will review your MotorsportsReg.com history (Make sure it is up to date!) to verify correct run group placement.
***Due to COVID-19 related changes(temporarily in place for this event), run groups will be Yellow through Red. Individuals that have completed 2 or more HPDE's may register for Yellow. We will not be hosting a Green group for this event.***
Intermediate (Yellow): Yellow group students typically have completed between 3 and 10 events. Students will continue to explore topics of vehicle dynamics like weight transfer and slip angle to improve their car control skills.
Advanced (Blue): Blue group students typically have done 10 or more events. Students will continue to work on improving at-speed recognition of off line situations and how to adjust inputs while maintaining car control to correct them.
***Note: We do allow solo students in our blue group for drivers that prefer the pace of our advanced group or may not be as comfortable with the unlimited passing zones (with a point) and pace of the Red group.***
Advanced Solo (Red): Our Red group is reserved for students that have demonstrated on track proficiency of car control skills and traffic management in all situations. This run group allows passing anywhere with a point.
****Solo Drivers – If you have not been approved to run in our Red (solo) group at a previous THSCC event, you will have a check ride in your first session of the event.
If you have never run with THSCC before and are signing up for our Red group, we do require references, and you will have a check ride during your first session. Please e-mail the registrar at email@example.com with references after you register. *****
Instructors: If you do not see an 'Instructor Entry' option when you register, it means we do not have you authorized as an instructor in MotorsportReg. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students, have you paid for your club membership for 2020?
If you answered NO, please be aware you will have to sign up for an annual membership ($12, one-time fee). It will be an option during the registration process and will need to be added to your cart.
Student or Solo entry fees are as follows:
$450 if registering before June 1, 2020.
$475 if registering on or before July 14, 2020.
$495 if registering July 15 or later.
$25.00 Discounts are available for Active Military/First Responders, and First time THSCC event drivers..
Instructor entry is FREE. Instructors should assume they will have two student assignments.
ONE Student Guarantee: $200.
(Pairing requests may not be able to be honored if One Student Guarantee is chosen.)
Any driver with a valid US-issued driver's license may attend as long as they are 18 years of age or older. Car must pass a vehicle inspection (detailed on the next page) to show they are appropriate for track use. Drivers must wear an approved helmet and proper clothing (detailed on the next page).
Pre-registration is required. Please note that you will be asked for your credit card information when you register, but your card will not be charged until August 29, 2020. In the event this event is canceled due to flooding, you will receive a full refund by September 28, 2020.
COVID-19 Protocols - These are not all-encompassing and are subject to change. Further guidelines will be emailed to both students and instructors prior to the event. The event guidelines are mandatory to all event participants and have been collaboratively composed by THSCC staff and VIR.
Only drivers or essential crew members will be allowed on-site. A namelist with all attendees will be submitted to VIR prior to the event. Please have your crew (or you can by proxy within MSR) register using this site as a crew member by Wednesday, September 16.
Event - General
- Social distancing procedures in place at all times, especially indoors and in the paddock area- 6 ft. of separation at a minimum, with masks on when indoors, or outdoors when distancing not possible..
- Masks are to be worn at all times while indoors (restroom, classroom, etc.). While outdoors, masks are required except where socialdistancing of 10 feet can be maintained. For those that are part of a separate unit/crew for the weekend (i.e. those that live together/tested prior to/isolated together for the event) masks are not necessary but are recommended.
- Instructors and students have the option of in-car instruction but this is opt-in and will need to be discussed between the student and instructor before arrival at the track.
- No one – including any employee or event member – who has experienced any of the following symptoms at any time during the 14 days preceding event, or who is a household member, intimate partner or caregiver of anyone who has experienced these symptoms, may enter the property: fever, cough, shortness of breath, persistent pain or pressure in chest, confusion, or bluish lips or face. Any participant who is or has experienced any of the above symptoms while at the event or up to 14 days following the event must notify THSCC immediately. Anyone who begins experiencing any of the above symptoms during an event must leave the facility immediately and inform THSCC staff prior to their departure via email ONLY (email@example.com).
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid using other peoples other work tools and equipment, when possible. If necessary, clean and disinfect them before and after use.
Make sure to provide more time for registration than you normally would.
Registration is to be done with as limited amount of interaction as possible.
- Waivers for both THSCC (one page) AND VIR (two pages) will need to be printed and signed before leaving home. All waivers will be emailed to everyone prior to the event.
- Tech forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org Wednesday, Sept. 16.
- Social distancing measures in place while waiting in-lineforregistration.
- Masks must be worn over your nose and mouth while in-line for registration.
- Your packet and check-in items will be laid out for you to find. A staff member will be there to get your name to mark you as present for attendance purposes.
Face shields should be kept down at all times while in the car with student/instructor. Those using open-face helmets should wear a mask while in the car with your instructor.
[**]WITH +30 DAYS PRIOR TO EVENT: FULL REFUND; refund or credit handled immediately
[**]WITH -30 TO -15 DAYS PRIOR TO EVENT: Total fee minus $100 cancellation fee; refund or credit to be handled after event conclusion.
[**]WITH –14 TO -1 DAY PRIOR TO EVENT: Credit towards future event only, minus $150 cancellation fee; credit handled after event conclusion.
For registration information, or student questions regarding the HPDE, please contact the Event Organizers.
For Technical / Safety issues, email Ethan Steinman
For Instructor questions, please contact Ron Spencer
THIS EVENT WILL RUN RAIN OR SHINE. The only exception will be if VIR closes the track due to flooding.
This is NOT a race school - Our events focus on learning proper high performance driving technique that will translate well into both street and track use. We focus our instruction on car control, on-track protocol, and advanced techniques that will be used with most clubs that run on-track driving events. We pride ourselves on the safety of our participants and our guests. We conduct events that we feel offer the most value for your track dollar, while keeping the costs reasonable and the risks minimal.
For all THSCC HPDE's we will only accept SA2010 and SA2015 rated helmets. We do not accept M rated helmets of any year, nor will we accept Snell rated helmets older than 2010. We have a very limited supply of loaner helmets that can be reserved on a first-requested, first-served basis. Drivers should also wear clothing made of natural fibers. At most events, THSCC requires long sleeves and long pants be worn while on track, but this is dependent on the rules of each track and the weather. This will be clarified in the pre-event e-mail.
All participants' cars must pass a vehicle inspection. The inspection can be performed at any of our annual inspection days (Dates and registration on MSReg) or at any independent shop with access to a car lift. The inspection form must be completed and signed or stamped by the mechanic. For inspections performed by one of our approved shops, we will issue an annual tech sticker at the first event. For inspections done by other shops, we will issue a day(s) of event tech sticker.
THSCC event staff will review the form at event check in and a THSCC tech sticker will be issued (if one was not received during the inspection). The annual inspection form can be found here. THSCC does NOT do on-site tech inspections. You must have this inspection completed before you arrive at the event. We will have multiple annual tech days scheduled during the year.
All convertibles participating in the event must have an SCCA Approved 4-point structural roll bar built to SCCA GCR specifications. Factory roll-over protection is not acceptable for our events. Please see our tech guide for more details.
All participants, staff, and guests must sign the event insurance waiver at time of check-in. Everyone may also be required to sign the track's waiver as well. Armbands will be issued when the waiver(s) are signed and must be worn at all times while on track property.
Each track has its own set of rules and regulations regarding the use of its facilities. A copy of these rules is available upon request from Track Management or THSCC . All participants and their guests are required to abide by the track's rules and regulations. Any infractions may be cause for expulsion from the event and any fees charged by the facility for rules violations will be assessed to the individual(s) responsible.
All participants will be expected to read and follow the guidelines set forth by THSCC to ensure a safe, fun, and extremely rewarding event. You will receive event-specific information via email about two weeks prior to the event, but please feel free to contact us at any time if you have questions or comments.
Please note: THSCC requires credit card information upon registering for an event. However, we will not be charging your card until May 7, 2020. In the event this event is canceled due to weather, you will receive a full refund by September 28, 2020.
For registration information or student questions regarding the HPDE, contact the Event Organizers.
For technical/safety issues, email Ethan Steinman
For information about Instructing with THSCC, contact Ron Spencer